• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Karenina

OK now I'm starting to get freaked out. Went for my sleep apnea study, don't have the results, but just thinking about sleeping with one of those masks sends me into a claustrophobic panic.
Has anyone had sleep apnea before the surgery, lost weight, then lost the sleep apnea?

I had my sleep study done too, and there was not enough there to say I have sleep apnea, but he would like to retest me at a later date. I was on sick and didn't sleep well, but he didn't see anything out of the ordinary.

I was on the CPAP for about a year because I had sleep apnea, after about a week it doesn't even bother you anymore, and it actually made sleeping alot more peaceful for me.

And, everyone I know who has sleep apnea said they felt much better and less tired during the day if they used their CPAP at night. No falling asleep during the day. Most get used to the machine very quickly. Also once the weight is gone sometimes the sleep apnea goes away too. The machines are very quiet. My son won't even take a nap without his. He fought it forever but since his job involved driving he had to be alert so he gave in.

I don't have any experience with sleep apnea, but during one of my visits to my bariatric center, Someone there mentioned that sleep apnea is often cured by bariatric surgery.

I have sleep apnea and i sleep with a cpap everynight, I have heard that after surgery sleep apnea is often cured as you lose weight, but once you get use too it its not that bad and you can get pads that just go in your nose and there is not as much stuff on your face.

OK now I'm starting to get freaked out. Went for my sleep apnea study, don't have the results, but just thinking about sleeping with one of those masks sends me into a claustrophobic panic.
Has anyone had sleep apnea before the surgery, lost weight, then lost the sleep apnea?

Karenina-I was diagnosed with obstructive sleep apnea about 8 years ago. I became suspicious I had it when I started falling asleep at work and other places even after a good nights sleep. It was super easy to get used to the "mask". I use the type that has nasal "pillows" and not a mask that covers my nose and mouth. I don't even feel it. My CPAP machine has a ramp up feature that gradually increases the pressure over a 10 minute time period so that I don't get the full "blast" of air pressure as soon as I turn the machine on.

When I first started using the CPAP I couldn't believe how much better I felt. More energy and no more falling asleep when I wasn't supposed to. I have trouble sleeping now but it isn't related to my apnea.

My sleep doctor told me that my apnea will go away once I lose weight. The reason is that the extra weight one carries in their neck causes the air passage to collapse when you lay down. When you lose the weight the problem stops.

Last edited:
Hello, I have had sleep apnea for about a year and a half. I had my gastric bypass on July 25, 2012. I have been told that my apnea should be cured as well after weight loss. I am looking forward to that, but let me tell you, I also use the mask with the pillows and it is so much more comfortable. When I was tested, I had the opportunity to try both, to see which one I liked better, and of course the pillows were better. I got used to it very quickly and it is not a problem at all. My machine also has the "amp" feature, that slowly increases the pressure so as to not blast you from the get go, so that also helps the comfort level. The machines are fairly quiet, I travel, camp with mine and have never had a problem. I'm comfortable with it, but am looking forward to not using it anymore once the weight comes off!

Karenina-I don't know where you stand on your CPAP equipment but if you haven't already made a choice regarding your "mask" try the Swift for Her brand. It has a head strap and a nasal pillow that rests gently against the outside of the nostrils. Nothing covering the nose and mouth as a single unit. When I was first suspected of having obstructuve sleep apnea and had to go for my second sleep study (first was done without a CPAP) they tried to have me use a full mask that covered my nose and mouth. All I can say is WOW, major panic attack as soon as I started dozing off. I thought I was suffocating and couldn't get the darn thing off. It felt like I had a mini vacuum hanging on my face *LOL* The tech came running into the room to help me. I wanted out then and there but after I settled down I was convinced to try the nasal insert instead (nasal pillow was not available yet). After looking at it I decided to try it. I ended up sleeping almost 7 hours with it. Over the years the insert was replaced with the pillows which were even more comfortable. I don't even realize I am using anything once I have it in place and turn the machine on. Of course I hope the day comes for me when I don't need a CPAP anymore. It will be nice to just be able to get into bed and not mess around with a machine :) :) :)

I have sleep apnea and got my cpap about two months ago. I also have the nasal pillows after trying a different type of mask in the beginning. I too rest better and feel better, however, I don't think I'll ever get use to having it on. I still wake up in the night and want to throw it across the room, lol, however, I try not too. I have on occasion taken it off in the middle of the night without knowing it. I'm still getting use to it, but I indeed do feel better as bad as I hate to admit it. LOL

Thanks for all your comments and I think I'm talked into having a CPAP! I haven't updated since I had my test because I still don't have definitive results. From the test, they concluded that they could not say for sure whether I had sleep apnea because I didn't have any REM sleep all night. I had to take another test at home and I will get the results on Tuesday. I went through 2 machines that didn't work, and the 3rd one seemed to work except it was turned off when I woke up. I don't remember turning it off, but....
They did say that I moved my legs an average of 47 times an hour, which woke me up every time I moved my legs. That may be why I never fell into a deep sleep too. So I could have restless leg syndrome, which I thought was just a made-up disease by the pharma companies!

Well, I had my 2nd sleep study last night. I had to lay on my back all night, and the 2nd half of the night they put the CPAP on me. It wasn't too bad, except it really dried my eyes and nose out. The nurse gave it a little boost of humidity, and that was better.
I didn't hardly sleep at all, so I'm not expecting great results, or any results! I usually don't have any trouble sleeping, so I'm discouraged that I can't seem to sleep at the sleep center. Just rambling. I'll get the results on Tuesday.

:eek:Well, I guess I'm one of the lucky ones that got used to the CPAP immediately. I use nasal pillows rather than a mask that covers my nose and mouth. I have been using my CPAP for over 8 years (guessing). I immediately noticed a big difference in how I felt. I had more energy and of couse didn't keep dozing off during the day while I was at work or driving :eek: One incident comes to mind, I fell asleep during a very important meeting at a customer location and my own snoring woke me up *LOL* Not really that funny because I got into trouble over it.

All I can say is that you really need to put forth an effort to get used to the CPAP if you need one. It could save your life. If you have problems getting used to a certain mask style the try another one until you find something that works for you. I use the Swift for Her with nasal pillows.

Angel-There have been quite a few people from this forum who were able to stop using their CPAP's after they lost a certain amount of weight. I doze off in my recliner a lot and have not woke myself up by my own snoring lately so I think my apnea is improving. I need to make an appointment with my sleep study doctor after September to discuss this further. I remember him telling me to set up a sleep study when I am close to my goal weight but I didn't get apnea until my weight was well over what it is now.

A nasal pillow is a set of soft silicone "pads" with holes in them that rest against your nostrils instead of a mask. The air from the CPAP passes through the holes. The pillows are attached to headgear that keeps them in place. Check out this link for more information:

http://www.alldaymedical.com/files/ResMed_Swift_For_Her_User_Guide.pdf

Okay, I have slept 2 nights with my new CPAP machine. I did get the amp feature on the machine and the mask that just covers my nose. However, I don't feel any different. I still wake up 3 to 4 times a night to use the bathroom, still have a headache when I wake up, and am still tired during the day. Yesterday I came home after work and took a 3 hour nap!
I realize there are settings and adjustments and I need to give it more time. There is also the problem of restless leg syndrome, which they are not going to treat now unless the CPAP doesn't work.
Just venting and frustrated. I spent the whole week stressing over this machine and worrying about stress eating. Which, thankfully, I didn't do. I now tell myself that I can have ice cream if I really want it, but NOT if my stress level tells me I want it. It seems to work.

Back