• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeping

mem222

How comfortable was it to sleep in the hospital? Was anyone able to sleep on their side or do you have to sleep on your back? Do you sleep flat or is your head elevated?

I was able to sleep on my side... Sleeping on my belly was uncomfortable due to all of the pressure from the gas used to expand my belly. Once that had all dissipated I was comfortable on my belly.

I was happy to sleep; period!

Since I have been limited to sleeping on my back; I got the bed set to the right angle; got comfortable and after a good dose of pain killer went blissfully to sleep!

It is only recently now, that I am starting to be able to sleep on my side. I always got a bad ache on my side and ended up with a bad kink that took an hour to work out.

We will see.

I haven't tried sleeping on my belly yet; that should be interesting. I am getting close to the weight that should allow that to happen comfortably.

Im such a side/stomach sleeper that I was practically on my stomach right after surgery I got some extra pillows to help me not roll completely over in my sleep. My hospital bed was terribly uncomfortable but being able to adjust the angles helped a lot. As soon as my drains got removed I was back to sleeping on my stomach, my doctor said as long as I wasn't in pain it was fine.

I preferred sleeping on my side. It's really all in what you feel the most comfortable at after the surgery. You don't have to sleep on your back. The bed was okay. The hardest thing about sleeping was all of the times they came in the first night to check on me. The second night was much easier. Good lucK!

The hospital bed was uncomfortable because they had a pad that would press up air to different parts of my back for circulation like they do your legs. They had an alarm on the bed if you tried to get out on your own. I got out on day 3. I'm 13 days post-op. Getting easier.

The hospital bed was uncomfortable because they had a pad that would press up air to different parts of my back for circulation like they do your legs. They had an alarm on the bed if you tried to get out on your own. I got out on day 3. I'm 13 days post-op. Getting easier.

Well I am certainly glad you are home and things are getting easier.

It is all downhill for you now.

As your weight comes off you will enjoy so many things and activities that you hadn't been able to do in such a long time.

You will fell invirgorated and on and on.

Here is my list of accomplishments while losing weight and finally reaching my goal. This should give you many things to look forward to as you continue your new journey and new life.

Accomplishments as a result of my Bariatric Gastric Bypass (11/4/2013)

• Diabetes resolved – off all meds, avg reading 110
• BP normal again – I am still taking bystolic 5mg. Resting pulse is around 60 and BP near or below 120/80. Without the bystolic my resting pulse is still in the 60s. However, my BP goes up to the high 130s/high 80s.
• Sleep Apnea resolved – I am not snoring nor do I believe I am stopping breathing. I will confirm this later this year.
• Legs no longer swollen
• Waist size has shrunk – Wearing size 44 pants
• Feet are smaller – I was able to put a pair of dress shoes on that I haven’t been able to wear.
• I stay under 1200 calories a day. Most days around 1000 calories.
• I have a lot more energy and I can dance, dance and dance!
• I can walk up neighborhood hills aggressively without having to stop; no longer breathless.
• My incontinence due to my prostatectomy has been resolved.
• I am able to sleep in my bed again. I had been sleeping In an upright chair to be comfortable.
• Dramatically reduced backaches; almost completely gone.
• I can bend over and tie my shoes now and I can see my toes.
• I can do dance steps again that I couldn’t do. The belly is gone!
• Now wearing size 42 slacks.
• Starting to sleep on my side again! This has happened in years!
• Intimacy much improved !!! 
• Fit in to a small diner booth !
• I can run up and down stairs several times without becoming breathless
• I squeeze out between two cars that were tightly parked together. A year ago I couldn’t get out of the car; I would be trapped.
• I squeezed into a size 38 pair of pants. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping on side is comfortable now. (6/1/2014)
• Sleeping flat on my back is doing fine too. No longer need to be propped up. (6/1/2014)
• I have reached my goal of under 200. I weigh 197 (9/9/2014)
• Size 38 Pants fitting comfortably now (9/9/2014)

I also like to read this list again and again to remind myself of how life has improved as a result of my surgery.

Best wishes in your journey,

Ralph

Back