• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve and Medications

Phinxy86

Hi everyone,
So I take medications and am planning on having my surgery in October. Finishing up insurance needs this month. I'm a little concerned because my handbook says I cannot take any pills bigger than the size of a pencil eraser for two months. Some of my pills are bigger capsules. I'm guessing I'll have to put them in unsweetened applesauce or something? I'm also wondering if I should get chewable multivitamins permanently or can I switch to a capsule (i bought some already) after two months? My doctor prescribing my meds thinks its not a big deal, but it is in my head!

Hi everyone,
So I take medications and am planning on having my surgery in October. Finishing up insurance needs this month. I'm a little concerned because my handbook says I cannot take any pills bigger than the size of a pencil eraser for two months. Some of my pills are bigger capsules. I'm guessing I'll have to put them in unsweetened applesauce or something? I'm also wondering if I should get chewable multivitamins permanently or can I switch to a capsule (i bought some already) after two months? My doctor prescribing my meds thinks its not a big deal, but it is in my head!
I make sure all of my tablets are no bigger than an aspirin. But I do have capsules that are obviously bigger, and one of them was prescribed by the surgeon! I have been taking them for a couple of days now and seem to be doing fine with them. I think it will just depend on your stomach and what it will handle at that time.

Not sure what medicine you are taking but my doctor switched my diabetic medicine back to Metformin. I was taking 2 horse pills, Invokomet XR. He said that after surgery, I will probably not need the medication because of the restricted diet. Instead of a pill crusher, I would get a pill cutter and take them that way.

The day after my surgery, they switched me to oral pain meds. The first nurse offered to cut it in half for me, the next nurse didn't but I had no trouble swallowing the whole thing. It was Hydrocodone, not small and went down fine.

Some medications can be converted to
Some medications can be converted to liquid form. However I switched my Gabapentin to liquid and I can bear lay take it, it’s horrible. Also some extended release pills were coming through undirected, if you know what I mean
Some medications can be converted to liquid form. However I switched my Gabapentin to liquid and I can bear lay take it, it’s horrible. Also some extended release pills were coming through undirected, if you know what I mean. Had to get them switched too.
Have you talked to the doctor who prescribed it? Maybe there is an alternative? I take it too and those pills are big! Hopefully I can be weaned off of it eventually.

Back