• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sleeve looks like the best choice. Less invasive..

You have to do what is best for you, but please do a LOT of research on the GERD complications that can happen from sleeve. I had to have a conversion to bypass in August due to the GERD. If sleeve is still what you feel is best, go for it, but be sure to make an informed decision!

I was going to have the sleeve, i ended up having the RNY bypass. I can tell you from experience i would chose the bypass again. After the second day no nausea or vomiting. For me myself the appetitie thing isn't a problem. If i feel a hunger pain i just drink water, and if after 15 mins i still feel kinda hungry i grab a glass of fairlife milk or something with protein. Most days i have a hard time reminding myself to eat. I can easily go from 8 pm till noon the next day and not feel hungry. Keep in mind most sleeve patients do suffer from more nausea at first and the hunger bug does come back. All in all regardless of the surgery if your not ready mentally you can screw both of them up.

any recommendations on pre and post op brands of protein shakes and bars?
There are probably hundreds of opinions registered in the archived posts. I just have one suggestion. My nutritionist told me that for every 10 calories in a food, you should get one gram of protein. 10 calories, 1 gram. So if you're going for a 700 calories day, you will get 70 calories of protein. . Women are supposed to get between 50 and 70 g of protein in a day. So when you are looking at something that is called a protein bar or a protein shake, read the back. A lot of these things are just candy bars and milkshakes. And they are not good for you. And they are fattening.

It's It's not unreasonable to live on 700 calories a day for a while. Because you're taking supplements. And you cannot take in more than your pouch will allow, which means that you really have to pound down the protein rich food and just don't eat the other stuff.

Protein shakes just make me feel waterlogged. And to me they just taste Fake. I hate them. But when I'm hiking I will pack 10 MetRX bars and shave off the sugary coating they're dipped in before eating. That's 30 grams of protein and probably 350 calories, shaved.

Whatever option you choose, make sure it tastes good to you. You shouldn't have to be choking it down in order to get healthy.

Back