• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Slow food intake

I started the soft food phase on June 2, 2013 and I don't know what i'm doing wrong because it seems like everytime I eat something, I automactically becomes full. I even bought a baby spoon so that I would not eat large portions but that's not really working. Can anyone suggest what they think I am doing wrong. Then i'm not that hungry anymore and not getting all of my protein in or water. When does the bloating or fulliness go away?

i'm struggling too!!! still bloated after 5 weeks and am not getting my protein or water either. desperately seeing suggestions.

You are NOT doing anything wrong just because you feel full. The point of having the surgery was so that you would feel full. I had surgery June 7 and I am just now able to eat 2.5 oz. Just eat slow take time between bites and enjoy the ability to feel full. As far as the protein and water goes sip a couple ounces every fifteen minutes. You will get to where you can drink the water and protein drinks it just takes time. My nutritionist told me that it could take between 5 and 6 months to be able to hold 4 ounces of food which is a good thing. Try to relax and enjoy the full feeling knowing you are losing weight.

Best wishes

My husband had the sleeve and I see that is what you both had..he experienced the same thing for 6-8 weeks. Then it was fine...almost like a light switch. Now he can eat his meal and get all his protein in. He had issues with swelling around the intestines, so that might be what you are experiencing. As long as you aren't throwing up, his doctor said it will work itself out but to keep with the protein shakes and if need be revert back a stage. That isn't what he wanted to hear, at that point he was on pureed and had to go back to liquid, but it helped a lot.

Calq - how are you feeling? I am very, very weak. Hard to be at work. I am hating every thing that I put in my mouth. Also, does your stomach gurgle a lot? that even makes me feel nautious. Right now I could care less about weight loss. I just want to feel better.

Karyn

There was a phase where I had no energy and just getting a short walk in was all I could do. I am now able to work out almost every day. I found that taking vitamins with food and stopping during the walk to drink really helped. It took a while but now all is good. I am feeling much much better now that the puree phase is over. To ward off the sluggish feelings I drank half a protien drink (27 grams of protein for a whole drink) did my workout then drank the other half. During the walk I drink around 20 ounce of water. Once I have finished the protein drink I stop drinking for 30 minutes so I can have some food. My routine now is to drink for 2.5 hours and eat every 3 hours. I am still at 2.5 ounces of food so having 5 mini meals gives me around 700 calories which keeps me from feeling sluggish. I hope this helps.

Best wishes

Thanks for the feedback. Sounds like you have good intake of food, protein and water. I can't wait until I get to that point!

Back