• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

smoking

Miss Kim

hi i am all cleared for surgery except for quitting smoking completely. does anyone know how they test for smoking is it urine or blood? AND ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR QUITTING?PLEASE HELP!!!!!!@

I weaned myself from smoking in 8/1993. It was not easy and I believe that quitting was my downfall that led to my weight gain. I had found a book by American cancer org that had many helpful activities to quitting smoking. One was making pro a con list then choosing the most relevant as reason to quit and make it into a mantra. The biggest reason for me to quit was my children testing the waters As teens. Another suggestion was limiting the places you could smoke. Eliminating a Place at a time such as not smoking in the car then not smoking in the bathroom then not smoking while watching tv and so on. Another suggestion was drink water instead of taking a drag. Two reason it flushes your system and helps remove toxins. 21 days after you stop is when your body starts to repair the damage. It doesn’t stop the desire, I dreamed for a full year after that I was still smoking. smoking is a crutch and getting to the place of not smoking is just like overeating. I got down to 1 cigarette at a time and that is when I knew I could stop. wishing you a safe journey.

I don't remember how they tested but they can for sure tell. I quit cold turkey a long time ago. There is no magic way to quit and its HARD. Every damn day is hard for a long time. But its literally the best thing you can do for your health. Good luck

During a crisis in my 20s, I moved home to my parents. Dad & I both got up early to get ready to go to work. He'd quit smoking 25 years earlier. I was still smoking. we discussed it one day and I asked, "But don't you crave a cigarette?" He said, "Every single time I smell one, when you light up."

Being completely addicted to smoking at least one cigarette a day, his answer horrified me, and still does. I know If I choose to smoke, I'm going to have to deal with the addiction, which is much worse than any other side-effect of smoking. I simply cannot do that. I'd rather kill myself than live with that constant command from within that drives me to smoke.

Actually, if I wanted to smoke, I could control the number of cigs I smoked. But why?

It's the same with food, which is why it's so valuable to keep a journal. Write down everything you'll eat in advance then eat that and nothing more.

One way docors know you're smoking is by measuring the carbon monoxide levels in your blood. Carbon mononxide is that gas that's part of car exhaust that kills you. Doctors won't do surgery on you if you are deficient in oxygen and high in carbon monoxide. You could literally die on the table. That's one reason why full blood panels are done before major medical procedures.

THANK YOU ALL VERY MUCH!!!!!
You're welcome. Would you mind NOT writing in ALL CAPS? It really feels like you're shouting. Thank you. As to vaping, ask your doctor. Do you put something in your vape liquid like a flavoring or marijuana? This is something you should tell your doctor, for sure. For sure, your physical condition is tested extensively, including many, many blood composition tests.

quitting smoking completely

I would really meditate on that clause. You can quit smoking. If you quit smoking, you do it completely. If you smoke one puff per day, you have NOT quit smoking. You are still smoking. It's still in your system.

If you're going to go through the agony of quitting, why not go all the way? Sneaking an occasional puff is just as bad as not quitting.

You're making positive changes to your health. It's hard to make two changes at a time, like giving up both overeating and smoking tobacco. Doing one at a time often works better. Sometimes trying both at once leads to failure,

You're welcome. Would you mind NOT writing in ALL CAPS? It really feels like you're shouting. Thank you. As to vaping, ask your doctor. Do you put something in your vape liquid like a flavoring or marijuana? This is something you should tell your doctor, for sure. For sure, your physical condition is tested extensively, including many, many blood composition tests.
I am so sorry about the caps. thank you for letting me know> I do put non nicotine flavor in?

hi i am all cleared for surgery except for quitting smoking completely. does anyone know how they test for smoking is it urine or blood? AND ANY SUGGESTIONS FOR QUITTING?PLEASE HELP!!!!!!@
When I finally quit smoking for the last time it was because of pain. Even though I never blew smoke through my nose it hurt in my sinuses to smoke. I respond to pain! Ha, ha, ha. I figure that if I still smoked and had to quit for surgery it would be pain that motivated me again. Cigarettes effect on wound healing is terrible so I think that's what I would focus on if I had to do it now.

Back