• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Smoking

I was not mean at all about it, iv sent messages to people no reply, there are more active people then not. Just making a statement.
I feel for you about smoking. It is one of the most difficult habits to break. I was one of the luckier ones when I tried to quit. The 1st time in the late 1980s, I quit after having bronchitis and had to go outside to smoke in January. Crazy! I picked it back up, but was successful the 2nd time in the early 1990s, quitting cold turkey both times.

My husband, however, is quitting now after 50 years of smoking. The nicotine patches are a help somewhat, but it is beyond difficult for him. He has made it cigarette free for 40 days. He still wants to smoke, but not with the same intensity as he had in the beginning. I feel for anyone struggling with kicking the habit, but it is doable.

My surgeon won't let me do patches, gum or a vape with any type of nicotine,well he said it was ok but the nurses said no once I failed my first nicotine test vaping at the lowest nicotine, so I had to quit all together. I'm pretty sure after I will pick the habit back up, I don't have the mind set to quit just yet. Hopefully in the years to come. That's why I was wondering if anyone ended up smoking again after surgery.

I was not mean at all about it, iv sent messages to people no reply, there are more active people then not. Just making a statement.
I agree that this group is small and doesn’t generate as many posts as some other support groups. I’ve noticed that it is usually the same handful of people who reply. It’s not a bad thing, just different. There is another online support group that has more members and posts. It’s called BARIATRICPAL.COM. You should check it out. I find it very helpful to join several support groups so that you get lots of answers to questions and concerns.

Hello. I quit smoking long before surgery. For me the key was taking it day by day. I would tell myself "I don't smoke TODAY!" because the idea of forever without a cigarette was depressing and I had no interest in that lol

As I suggested previously, cut a straw into the length of your cigarette and carry it around, chew it, hell breathe through it if you need to when you get a strong urge. For me the habit of smoking was as much of a problem as the nicotine. I looked crazy for about 6 weeks, with my straw between my fingers, but it helped.

Getting close to being finished with all things pre op and can’t seem to kick the habit. Any tips out there….?
I haven't smoked in 36 years. But, when I stopped it was cold turkey. Usually the first 3 days are the hardest. I drank plenty of water and haven't gone back. If you can do the bariatric dance, you can stop smoking. Its hard; but worth it. May the Universe grant you power.

The struggle is so real, I wonder who went back to smoking after surgery, I made a post recently about smoking only one reply, this group isn't super active but I don't have Facebook or social media
LOL sometimes its too active, I could never keep up with replies as a newbie lol but I am still here...this room is the bomb and at times, the Guru Sistas' can get though ROTFLMAO...

I've quit multiple times during this 6 month pre-op process. I'm a "smoke when I drink" kind of person. I'm still enjoying wine in the evenings, which makes me want a cigarette. The only thing keeping me going RIGHT NOW is knowing I can't have the surgery if I smoke. They said they'll test to see if I'm lying. I've Googled how to beat the test (not trying to give ideas, lol). That's too much hassle and it might not even work. For me the surgery has to be more important. I like what missyinacage said about telling yourself it's just one day every day. I know that's not much from someone who never smoked more than 10 a day, but addiction is real, no matter the scope of it. Best of luck quitting. You can do it, however painful it might be.
Suggestion: I too loved my wine and anything else lol but stopped that because the docs said your stomach needs to be free of alcohol for at least a month before surgery. And, once you start back after you are all healed up, you get drunk really fast, I mean like an ounce of liquor will wipe you out. I have a friend who did the bypass 10 years ago and he is an alcoholic, drinks from 11 am on...oh, yeah he is still small but he has severe legs cramps because did does not do water or vitamins, ... suggestion ...

I agree that this group is small and doesn’t generate as many posts as some other support groups. I’ve noticed that it is usually the same handful of people who reply. It’s not a bad thing, just different. There is another online support group that has more members and posts. It’s called BARIATRICPAL.COM. You should check it out. I find it very helpful to join several support groups so that you get lots of answers to questions and concerns.
Thank you so much for that support group info!

It's not the size of the group that affects the number of posts. I've been here for many years and when the group vibe comes together with goals and a nice balance of people at different stages, the posts are awesome. For the last few weeks most of the posts have been from newly post-op or pre-op.

This is the best support group I've ever been a part of, but sometimes I back away so I won't hog the bandwidth.

Just search the archives. You'll be shocked how many brilliant people have shared.

It's not the size of the group that affects the number of posts. I've been here for many years and when the group vibe comes together with goals and a nice balance of people at different stages, the posts are awesome. For the last few weeks most of the posts have been from newly post-op or pre-op.

This is the best support group I've ever been a part of, but sometimes I back away so I won't hog the bandwidth.

Just search the archives. You'll be shocked how many brilliant people have shared.
Good to know Diane. I have been browsing in the archives a little and was planning on doing a lot of that while recovering over the next few days. This group is amazing from what I’ve seen. You are so active in here! I hope to follow in your footsteps!

This group is amazing from what I’ve seen. You are so active in here! I hope to follow in your footsteps!

Please do! I've made 2500 posts and I'm sick of me! I really love it when we hear from newbies and lurkers. Ironically, no matter how many posts appear, suddenly someone new will post and we all learn something new. Looking forward to your posts BeeVee!

Please do! I've made 2500 posts and I'm sick of me! I really love it when we hear from newbies and lurkers. Ironically, no matter how many posts appear, suddenly someone new will post and we all learn something new. Looking forward to your posts BeeVee!
Well we are very blessed to get to learn from your knowledge. Thank you for taking the time to share. You’ve probably helped tens of thousands of people. So, thank you!

Back