• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

SO FRUSTRATED

My first stall for weight loss occurred after my hip replacement surgery which happened before the bariatric teams recommendation for after my annual bariatric surgery date of one year. I knew it was a consequence for the hip surgery but I was losing the ability to walk and could barely function. My hip was giving me so much grief and pain. Lack of sleep didn’t help. After the surgery I was not prepared for how much of a change it was. I also have a high tolerance for pain but not this time. I truely was not prepared for how much pain I was in. I still kept trying to wean myself off pain meds too early, just can’t deal with them and never want to depend on stuff to get me through. I did insist on therapy even though the orthopedic team said it shouldn’t have been necessary. I am much better now and can say I lost 4 pounds this last month so my stall is over. I am so glad that I didn’t beat myself up in the process either. Having faith, and support from this site and the people here makes a huge difference.

Sorry bananas constipate me and I think milk does too. Figuring milk out the hard way in other foods.
There are so many reasons for using a fiber lax daily. But the best one is the way it helps things move along after your plumbing revision. There's evidence fiber lax reduces cholesterol. If you can't eat natural bowel movement stuff fiber lax is da bomb.

There are so many reasons for using a fiber lax daily. But the best one is the way it helps things move along after your plumbing revision. There's evidence fiber lax reduces cholesterol. If you can't eat natural bowel movement stuff fiber lax is da bomb.
Oh yeah. Benefiber does wonders, and now Metamucil is my new best friend lol. It makes everything come out great! Lol

I'm 6'7 I only have one maybe two on rare occasions during the day. A friend of mine has 3-4 a day. I couldn't do that, I feel so bloated. But I start off with my pills and a Premier Protein (Important I like a variety of flavors so I'm always looking for a stocking as they come available). This gets my stomach off to a smooth start to make lunch easier where I'll have something good for lunch (no sugars, bread etc) and for dinner I'll have whatever my heart desires. Not much of the bad stuff. But I always liked good food and told my surgeon that I'm not going to eat like a rabbit or have food prep become my life. Moderation is where it's at but I found I have to start the day out easy.

For alot of my meals I pick out a country or region, lookup a dish and dive into a recipe for it. Look in the recipe section for some of mine. I still enjoy good food but a meal at a restaurant now lasts me 2-3 meals.

Some of what I eat now. Point is not to show off. But show that life and your menu doesn't have to suck. Think outside of your normal box, explore your pallet and the internet for some great tasty and ways of eating. I'd advise anyone to get a good set of cutlery, knives, smoker and get after it. I'm now down 200lbs since surgery just short of a year ago.

Pork Ribs we smoked on the Traeger last weekend (pork goes down and settles nicely.

Elk Gnocci

Escargot

Wild Rice, Shrimp and asparagus

Scallops, veggies, fried rice

Gumbo

Pork Nilaga (Philippines)

Shrimp something- I don't remember but it was good

Did I mention I got this weird thing with seafood? It's my goto when I feel like I'm not eating enough.

Spanish Corned Hash (Philippines and Spain)

Simple salad

Smoke pork burnt ends

A beautiful pork butte for pulled pork

Chicago Deep Dish- I can handle a slice or most of one. friends and my wife love when I make it.

Beef Stout Skillet Pie

Pork Kaldereta (Philippines) Like a stew almost. So much protein in this you'll feel like running a marathon after.

Perco Pibil- Dish so good Johnny Dep shot the cook in Once Upon a TIme in Mexico.

Tuscan Tortallini

I'm 6'7 I only have one maybe two on rare occasions during the day. A friend of mine has 3-4 a day. I couldn't do that, I feel so bloated. But I start off with my pills and a Premier Protein (Important I like a variety of flavors so I'm always looking for a stocking as they come available). This gets my stomach off to a smooth start to make lunch easier where I'll have something good for lunch (no sugars, bread etc) and for dinner I'll have whatever my heart desires. Not much of the bad stuff. But I always liked good food and told my surgeon that I'm not going to eat like a rabbit or have food prep become my life. Moderation is where it's at but I found I have to start the day out easy.

For alot of my meals I pick out a country or region, lookup a dish and dive into a recipe for it. Look in the recipe section for some of mine. I still enjoy good food but a meal at a restaurant now lasts me 2-3 meals.

Some of what I eat now. Point is not to show off. But show that life and your menu doesn't have to suck. Think outside of your normal box, explore your pallet and the internet for some great tasty and ways of eating. I'd advise anyone to get a good set of cutlery, knives, smoker and get after it. I'm now down 200lbs since surgery just short of a year ago.
Should there be recipes attached to the photos? I can only see photos.

I had my surgery december 12th and Ive already plateaued. I havent lost any weight for over a week. Im reaching my protein goals, staying under my carb/calorie limit and even lightly exercising (taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator). Im so frustrated, its so depressing.

My first stall for weight loss occurred after my hip replacement surgery which happened before the bariatric teams recommendation for after my annual bariatric surgery date of one year. I knew it was a consequence for the hip surgery but I was losing the ability to walk and could barely function. My hip was giving me so much grief and pain. Lack of sleep didn’t help. After the surgery I was not prepared for how much of a change it was. I also have a high tolerance for pain but not this time. I truely was not prepared for how much pain I was in. I still kept trying to wean myself off pain meds too early, just can’t deal with them and never want to depend on stuff to get me through. I did insist on therapy even though the orthopedic team said it shouldn’t have been necessary. I am much better now and can say I lost 4 pounds this last month so my stall is over. I am so glad that I didn’t beat myself up in the process either. Having faith, and support from this site and the people here makes a huge difference.
Hi Roni,

I had knee replacement in November, to that point I had lost over 50 lbs since may. But like you, I was unprepared or the pain and also have a hi tolerance but not this time. I was taking pain meds as they said but they weren't helping....or maybe they were but tge pain is so incredible that they can only do so much.
I gained 11 pounds, was it swelling? I'm sure but hubby was so taken back by my pity party and crying that he could only feed me and I ate. So I'm sure part of it was that lol.
As of today, I have lost about 6 of those pounds and to date I'm down 60 total.
I'm trying this is hard, I do need to get back to my protein shakes, but I am taking my vitamins.

I had my surgery december 12th and Ive already plateaued. I havent lost any weight for over a week. Im reaching my protein goals, staying under my carb/calorie limit and even lightly exercising (taking the stairs at work instead of the elevator). Im so frustrated, its so depressing.
It is normal to stall for a short time early in as your body heals. Just follow your plan and when your body is ready it will let go of the weight. You just put your body through a major operation. Give it, and you, some grace.

Back