• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So many Questions

Hello, everyone 'm new to all this ! But does anyone know the average amount of weight to be lost after surgery and when should you begin exercise . I've been walking of course. But so upset this morning and gained a pound ! I had surgery on OCT.6,2014 my pain level is great I've followed all of what I'm told but can't really get all of it down due to being full . I'm in the dark about a lot of things due to me upsetting the DR.office not the dr> before surgery. so no trust .

Hello, everyone 'm new to all this ! But does anyone know the average amount of weight to be lost after surgery and when should you begin exercise . I've been walking of course. But so upset this morning and gained a pound ! I had surgery on OCT.6,2014 my pain level is great I've followed all of what I'm told but can't really get all of it down due to being full . I'm in the dark about a lot of things due to me upsetting the DR.office not the dr> before surgery. so no trust .

Hello,

I am really upset by some of your comments.

The Doctors office and staff should be your main resource for support. You should have gone through plenty of educational sessions before your surgery. You should have a nutritionist and met with him/her already too. you should have met with a bariatric psychologist as well.

I don't understand why you are so in the dark!

This is simply awful.

NO TRUST and you went through with the surgery with this Doctor and his office would not have been an option for me.

Perhaps you can find another Doctor; albeit this is a bit late.

There is no average weight loss. However, with the gastric bypass and sleeve almost all of us reach goal weights, which should have been set by you and your doctor. I lost 93 pounds in 8 months reaching my goal of under 200 and now maintaining for the last 3 months or so between 197 to 199.

So, more info would be useful.

Is it the office that is so awful? Or are you simply reluctant.

My Doctor and his staff answered any and all questions and/or concerns I had immediately by phone, by visits, etc.

They CARED about me and wanted me to succeed. I did.

If this is truly a Doctor and his staff not supporting you, then find another Doctor; preferably a "best doctor" in your area.

Best wishes,

Ralph

I was able to loose 20 lbs. in the first two weeks. But my journey is unusual as I have had little side effects, and I have been working my rear off! I have other aquaintences that have also gained during the first couple of months. Do not let it get you down! Work your program, and the weight will start coming off again.

I do agree with dancinbr, though. My first cheerleader was the staff at my Dr.'s office! If you do not have that option, you need to get hooked up with a different Dr. soon.

If you are following the program as your surgeon prescribed then don't worry about the weight gain, it's most likely just water retention. That's perfectly normal. We all have gone through it.

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Cheyenne :cool:

Sweetie, honestly 14 years out, 2008 was a horrific year for me, my house burned to the ground, 3 months and 1 day later my husband of 29 years dies of a massive heart attack (1st time in 20 years no life insurance, I bury him at $15,000 Plus $3,000 headstone w/o help. I was just an aid i. The school system that assisted teachers and staff with special needs children. Started working 3 jobs for the next 2.5 years and slept 4 hours a night (if my brain would shut down). What didn’t kill me just makes me that much more resilient.

I hope you are able to resolve the issue with your doctor because everyone's journey is different. There is not a one size fits all remedy. You kinda of learn as you go what your body is going to do. So, it is important to have the support of your doctor and staff to figure things out. Hope it gets better.

Back