• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

So unsure

Ari

Hello all. I have been considering bariatric surgery for a few months but honestly I am very unsure. It seems lime there is so much pain involved. Please share your experience with me so I can have a realistic view of how people typically feel after surgery. Thank you so much.

Some bariatric patients do experience post-op pain or discomfort, but many do not. I can only speak for myself: I had VSG at age 67. I experienced minimal discomfort, and used Tylenol for only 3 days post-op. When I went through the various food stages, I did so easily and with no discomfort. Is has been SO worth it. I’m sure others will speak up.

I was 59 when I had my Gastric Bypass in July. I saw from other posts here that the CO2 gas they pump inside us during WLS caused most of the pain & discomfort rather than the 5 tiny incisions. Evidently the surgical team "used a rolling pin" on me & got most of that gas out of me before closing the incisions. I actually said that to my surgeon on my follow-up visit when I thanked him for pushing out the gas - he cracked up about the rolling pin.

Anyway, I was able to start walking a few hours after recovery and continued walking as much as possible over the days & weeks to follow. I had tolerable pain at home the next day; I took lortabs & alternated with Tylenol for 3 days. I was able to use Tylenol only starting day 4 at home.

Pain is a possibility for you, but hopefully it won't be a deal breaker for you. The pain relief following major weight loss more than makes up for a few days of pain, imho.

My surgeon gives shots of pain meds in the areas around each incision and the pain relief lasts about 3 days. He said that’s usually the hardest part after surgery. Using the abdominal binder really helped with the pain after, but honestly I didn’t have a whole lot of pain. I had discomfort though. But everyone tolerates pain differently.

I just had my surgery on the 21 and I was in a lot of pain up until today, it finally eased up. But it was more “sore” than pain, like I’d I laid on the side at night and I didn’t realize it, I would hurt allll day the next day. I am moving, and the liquid phase is getting tiresome. (I love water so that’s not an issue, just the protein shakes, lol) I had an RNY procedure. I don’t feel “hungry” but at times want to eat, If that makes sense. The first few days I could tell my body was like “what the heck” and trying to figure it out, but now it’s easier. I’m seeing my number on the scale drop, and clothes are fitting a little better (where as they were tight before) everyone says it’s the hardest thing they’ve ever done, but worth it. And I’m hanging onto that as I go through the motions.
i have discovered a liking for peanut butter protein powder though!

I had pain for the first 3 days that was fairly severe. It was more painful than I expected based on other people’s stories - but, by day 4 I was taking just Tylenol and moving around and felt sore, not terrible pain. My recovery was otherwise very smooth and I have no regrets.

For me, I think the pain was less than expected and I did not have the horrible gas pains that some have. Unfortunately that wasn't the end of my story as I developed another problem later on. But the actual surgery was not bad for me the first 5 days post op, so everyone is different.

I agree with everyone. I had bypass on 8/5/21. Each person has their own experience with pain. Mine was none at all, just soreness. I took Tylenol for the first 3 days and then that was it. I didn't really have the gas issues that I have heard others have. Best thing I have ever done for myself.

I was 56 when I had RYGB, but I had an open procedure, like major surgery. Laparoscopic & less invasive techniques were not available 14 years ago. So I was in the hospital 3 days, then in bed at home building strength for a few more days.

It is a really good idea to have your post-op diet in writing, with lists of foods high in protein and nutritional content, as well as supplements and fluid requirements.

Often discussed here is fluid intake. Generally, people want to believe if it's wet, you can consider it eligible to count as fluids. But I disagree. Sure, it's part of fluid intake, but you're cheating your success if you don't take in 8 servings of plain water. Water has a very specific effect on weight loss when combined with a bariatric food plan. Water will accelerate your metabolism, for lack of better terminology.

If you're one of us and you know dieting will never work and surgery is your only option, prepare for it and especially, work on positive thinking and affirmations.

It took me 14 months to drop 115 pounds, and I had a long stall, but I changed my life, started hiking the wilderness and working out at the YMCA, and eventually, I started eating any food I wanted to, sanely and sensibly. This has worked for me for 14 years, but it might not work for everyone.

I think it's important to create a list of foods that work for you. I don't like artificial sweeteners, so I use sugar if I feel like it. I have no comorbidities, so sugar has no negative effects. But I'm one of the lucky ones who can use sugar without going overboard or having any ill effects.

We can offer our own experience you, but it's important for you to explore what works for you. I recommend using a blank journal to track foods, keep your own physical records and make notes. It's hard to keep everything in your memory, but you can refer to a journal any time. And you're definitely worth the effort.

Attachments

• 721-2cf57a3f3f7493d8f696231499406c23.jpg
    721-2cf57a3f3f7493d8f696231499406c23.jpg
    15.5 KB · Views: 51
Hello all. I have been considering bariatric surgery for a few months but honestly I am very unsure. It seems lime there is so much pain involved. Please share your experience with me so I can have a realistic view of how people typically feel after surgery. Thank you so much.
I’m 6 weeks after my surgery and I feel that nobody told me the truth and that’s how I set unrealistic expectations for my recovery. It was very hard for me and I think it is for many people- for the first few weeks. I’m not trying to scare you but I wish someone told me this as well. Pain is not that bad (besides the first day gas pain - don’t let the “gas” part mislead you, it does hurt). But the whole experience can be very difficult. People seem to think that this is the lazy option for those who don’t want to diet and exercise. Comparing to my first few weeks, any diet and exercise program sounds like a piece of cake. It’s a tough journey- physically and mentally. I and many people go through this tough phase when they have regrets and question their decision.
i can only speak for myself, but I think In your question you forgot the most important part - you are doing this for your health, not because there is no pain. And in that this surgery is very effective - you lose weight quickly (not effortlessly) and your health can improve rapidly. You may be one of the lucky ones who dont have hard time, but I think it’s fair to tell you the truth: a lot of people struggles with recovery. It doesn’t last very long, but they do.

Back