• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Soft food sadness

I started eating soft foods a few days ago. At first I was on cloud 9 and thrilled after liquids fir 3 weeks but all if a sudden I feel very sad. I am facing the fact that I will never be able to eat “normally” again. I know it is normal to have a grieving process and I assume 6 months or so down the road this will be the new normal but right now I am sad. Any words if support and comfort from those that have come before me?

Your body is going through a lot of changes physically and emotionally. What you are feeling is very normal. That said, everyone's experience is a little different, but I am one year post op and feel that I eat normally. I eat a wide variety of foods I enjoy, monitoring my portions, but it's not awkward in social settings as I feared. Be patient and kind towards yourself. I chew my food well, eat slower, take food home, enjoy leftovers, but it all feels normal to me. Hang in there!

Just before my 2 year WLS anniversary I went into a funky feeling about meals, what is a meal now, still haven’t really resolved my issues but am sure I will get there. Husband always wanted the meal: meat-potatoes-veggies-dessert, and all the snacks along the way, don’t forget the soda, ice cream, chips you name it. Since he passed in April, I am more comfortable with my eating plan/restrictions which helps. But at my 2 year checkup dr wants more milk/ and meat proteins in my diet, I am having a hard time getting it in. I will get there, of this I am confident. Just don’t like making my protein shakes and throwing 3/4 of it away. So trying to find a balance there. Been baking my own protein brownies and protein cookies when I can (in between projects: yard work, paper sifting, going through husband’s effects, pool is on hold this year for parts….). This is a journey that is for life, not a “diet”. Set backs happen and progress happens. Know that others are here for you. To encourage you, to support you.

Yes, sadness is normal. You are grieving food, thinking you'll never have the freedom to eat what you want. This is not true. You will never be able to eat the sheer quantity of food you once ate. (which by the way, is not eating "normally") But good food will still be enjoyed in your future! Even the occasional dessert is okay.

Yes, sadness is normal. You are grieving food, thinking you'll never have the freedom to eat what you want. This is not true. You will never be able to eat the sheer quantity of food you once ate. (which by the way, is not eating "normally") But good food will still be enjoyed in your future! Even the occasional dessert is okay.
Can you share what it means to enjoy food in the future. What and how much do you actually eat at a meal? Your comments above really captured what I am feeling.

Well, a normal day of food for me is 3/4 C overnight oatmeal (cocoa banana flavored)
Lunch is usually a chicken and Swiss wrap (low carb tortilla). Snack is 1/2 C yogurt, 1/2 C berries 1/4 C cereal for crunch. 2nd snack is cottage cheese or hummus. Dinner is much more varied, as my NY resolution was to try 1 new recipe a week. I can eat about 3oz of protein and some veg. If it's stew, soup or casserole style, I can eat about a cup. Which is actually suggested serving size for adults.

That being said, I just got back from a trip to Paris. I ate a croissant every morning, shared a baguette sandwich every afternoon and stopped for a sinfully rich desert every night. I also walked 10 miles a day, LITERALLY, and came home weighing the same. So you know I ate a lot!!!

You will have to make healthy choices the majority of the time, but you will be able to splurge on occasion. Even at home, I hit the local ice cream parlor about once a month.

The point is, I am not doing without. And you won't have to either. You just can't eat everything bad for you all the time.

Well, a normal day of food for me is 3/4 C overnight oatmeal (cocoa banana flavored)
Lunch is usually a chicken and Swiss wrap (low carb tortilla). Snack is 1/2 C yogurt, 1/2 C berries 1/4 C cereal for crunch. 2nd snack is cottage cheese or hummus. Dinner is much more varied, as my NY resolution was to try 1 new recipe a week. I can eat about 3oz of protein and some veg. If it's stew, soup or casserole style, I can eat about a cup. Which is actually suggested serving size for adults.

That being said, I just got back from a trip to Paris. I ate a croissant every morning, shared a baguette sandwich every afternoon and stopped for a sinfully rich desert every night. I also walked 10 miles a day, LITERALLY, and came home weighing the same. So you know I ate a lot!!!

You will have to make healthy choices the majority of the time, but you will be able to splurge on occasion. Even at home, I hit the local ice cream parlor about once a month.

The point is, I am not doing without. And you won't have to either. You just can't eat everything bad for you all the time.
Right now everything feels so uncomfortable. 3 bites and it feels like Ive been punched in the stomach. When will my stomach start to feel better?

I remember having massive anxiety about "never being able to eat normally again." But normal was NOT how I was eating. It was my version of normal. It took time and affirmative messages from many resources (books, mags, tv, websites) for me to start paying attention to ME instead of my eating disorder and need to binge.

There's one thing I did that really helped when I was going through the soft to solid food stages. Using a bite of refried beans as an example, I'd put the food in my mouth and then close it and let it begin to melt over my tongue and cheeks and teeth. I didn't chew a bit. I allowed the various taste responses, like salivation and involuntary swallowing, to dissolve the beans into my esophagus. In this way I got a tremendous hit of flavor, over and over, and multiple sensations of swallowing, as if I'd taken a bunch of bites instead of just one.

Within 2 years post-op, I was eating anything I wanted. I had problems with things that were too sugary or fatty, which made me feel nauseous or caused minor episodes of diarrhea. No one would ever guess I'd had the surgery, and I only told my son and best friend. Quickly I began to respond positively to the fact that people were noticing I looked so healthy. And I scoured my desires and found I was aching to hike mountains and go camping for days in our beautiful wilderness areas.

I really think it's just a neurotic message we tell ourselves, and self-destructive as well, that we will never eat normal food again. I'm 16 years out and as I say often, I eat anything I want. Remember that your brain is screwy when it comes to food, Model yourself on someone you know who eats well and looks great without being chained to a treadmill or constantly going on and off diets.

And RE--LAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAX. Getting nervous or worried or panicked is a trap and a symptom of the mental illness of compulsive overeating, bingeing, destructive behaviors. It's not necessarily WHAT you eat that contributes to obesity. It's HOW you eat. choose five favorite things you think you won't be able to eat. In my case, the thing I'd die if I couldn't eat was a hot fudge sundae. But I took that image of the hot fudge sundae, cut the portion size in half and used measuring spoons and scales to make sure I was in the normal range, and then I gave myself permission to eat it. So I could fantasize about it until I got to the point where I could actually eat it, which nuked my anxiety completely.

If you scoff at the idea of saying affirmations, look at it this way. Your dysfunctional brain sends negative messages every few seconds to your consciousness, and you let them in, allow them to be part of your self-punishing behavior. Instead, when a negative message appears, send an affirmation to your subconscious, repeating it until the negative message fades away. It really does work. But you're fighting with self-abuse, which you've allowed to habituate for much longer, so it takes a real effort.

But one of your rewards is that you get to eat anything you want to eat. Really.

Go on a diet from negative thinking.

Back