• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sooner or Later

At my Dr's appt, I was given a surgery date of March 18, 2020. At my first nutritionist's visit, she told me since I was on Medicare, I would only need two visits not 6 (the reason for my March surgery date--the nutrition counseling visits has to be done in six consecutive months. I called the Dr's to make sure that this was correct and the Manager said that I could have my surgery done in December. That's my problem, I was happy with my March date because of the holidays and a planned cruise in February. She said that it was my choice and I opted to wait. Now, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Now, I'm going over the pro's and con's. What do you think?

At my Dr's appt, I was given a surgery date of March 18, 2020. At my first nutritionist's visit, she told me since I was on Medicare, I would only need two visits not 6 (the reason for my March surgery date--the nutrition counseling visits has to be done in six consecutive months. I called the Dr's to make sure that this was correct and the Manager said that I could have my surgery done in December. That's my problem, I was happy with my March date because of the holidays and a planned cruise in February. She said that it was my choice and I opted to wait. Now, I'm wondering if I did the right thing. Now, I'm going over the pro's and con's. What do you think?

Such a personal call Roseanne but if you're looking for opinions... I'd do it in December. Sure, you'll be recovering during the holidays but will be back to yourself (and a lot lighter) in time for the cruise. Trying to stay on your pre-op diet through the holidays and then a cruise will be tough. And why not enjoy the new year on the other side of this? :) Talk about a completely new start in 2020! Again, this is just my opinion, I don't know your situation. I just know that once I committed to surgery, it couldn't happen quickly enough. Tough call, good luck!

Are you going to a nutritionist rather than a dietician? I wonder if that's the difference. I am on Medicare and my surgeon had me go to a dietician. Medicare paid for 6 classes at one month intervals, then one pre op individual visit with the dietician. As far as December or March, that is a personal call. I wouldn't want to be recovering over Christmas, but wouldn't want the extra three month wait either.

Hi, thank you for your input on this. I don't know the difference between a nutritionist and a dietician. The Dr. himself made my appt and asked me if last Wed was OK and I said yes. I was very anxious to start the one a month requirement for my insurance, totaling 6 visits in 6 months. That's when and why he made my surgery date in March. The nutritionist meeting was a group meeting of seven of us, held in the hospital. At the end of the meeting, she said that she wanted to speak to me and then told me that Medicare only requires 2 meetings before surgery. I am disappointed as I was hoping for more advice on meal planning before & after the surgery. I plan on calling her tomorrow to see if she has any classes that I might be able to attend. The Manager at my Dr's Office (like I previously said) said we could now push up my date. It's funny because I accepted and was happy with the March date. I had a cruise planned at the end of Feb/early March. Although, the thought of being finished with the surgery/post op diet is appealing. That's what is so hard for me to decide.

Hi Roseanne
It sounds like this cruise is very important to you...but your health might be just as or more! I don't know how much you have to lose but you would be feeling so much better with weight you will lose. Not judging dear lady!! Hoping you make the decision that's best for you. Eating is what got us here...

Back