• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

SOS . . .☹

HoJo

SOS. . . I'm soooo stuck in such a bad rut and I'm desperate for help! I am in my 7th pre-operative month. I haven't been given the go ahead to see the surgeon yet primarily because I started gaining back the weight I lost so far. I was given the pre-operative goal to lose 10% of my body weight for a total of 26 lbs. I was going along well. At pre-operative month 4, I had lost 20 lbs and felt my goal was in sight. I saw the bariatric provider that month and she was pleased with my progress, but then she said "you know, you don't have to lose weight so fast. . ." That was it! It was all over for me . . . o_O My brain heard her say that I didn't have to be so careful with my food intake.
At month 5, I gained 2 lbs. The same provider said, don't worry, it's only 2 lbs. So I get to month 6, and I gained 2 more lbs!!:( I saw the dietitian this time and of course, the 4-lb weight gain was a big deal. She told me that I needed to get back on track and start following the amount of calories I take in daily. She made an appointment for about 6 weeks later.
Well, it's time for that appointment now and I gained another lb for a total of 5 lbs! :eek: I have had a lot of stress at work with deadlines and illness in my family, but I guess I have to learn a better way to deal with the stress than eating if I ever want to embrace a new healthy lifestyle and lose weight. My brain kind of knows this but the hand that puts food in my mouth doesn't. :( I am thinking of postponing the appointment for 2 weeks so that I can at least lose some weight before then. Despite really wanting to succeed and be approved for weight loss surgery, I can't get my eating on track!:oops: I'm desperate for some suggestions from other people who have gone through this, too, so I can get back on track as soon as possible. I feel my dream to have weight loss surgery and live a healthy life is slipping through my hands . . . and I know that it all depends on me. :confused:

This is so ridiculous for you. I didn't have any of these issues and the surgeon I saw didn't have weight loss goals before the surgery for me, he could have cared less that I gained another 50 before the surgery. Ugh! I would suggest going on the pre op liquid diet for 2 weeks before seeing your nutritionist. Maybe that will help? I know if you clean out your liver you lose 4-7 lbs. so maybe it would push you to what you need to be to get the approval. I still think it is kind of dumb, I mean, you've shown commitment at this point, and you are there to get assistance losing weight, yet they hold you up for 5lbs...gah! I would like to pat them on the head, with a hammer! Best of luck getting where you need to be!

This is so ridiculous for you. I didn't have any of these issues and the surgeon I saw didn't have weight loss goals before the surgery for me, he could have cared less that I gained another 50 before the surgery. Ugh! I would suggest going on the pre op liquid diet for 2 weeks before seeing your nutritionist. Maybe that will help? I know if you clean out your liver you lose 4-7 lbs. so maybe it would push you to what you need to be to get the approval. I still think it is kind of dumb, I mean, you've shown commitment at this point, and you are there to get assistance losing weight, yet they hold you up for 5lbs...gah! I would like to pat them on the head, with a hammer! Best of luck getting where you need to be!
Pixx, you always seem to know the right things to say. After reading your post, I decided that I won't postpone my appointment for 2 weeks. If I'm back at my typical 15-lb weight loss plateau, they are supposed to be there to help me and not punish me. I like your idea of the 2-week liquid diet, but I already feel hungry all the time...I have to watch out for that emotional hunger though since I'm really stressed out already. So I will see what happens on Thursday.

Pixx, you always seem to know the right things to say. After reading your post, I decided that I won't postpone my appointment for 2 weeks. If I'm back at my typical 15-lb weight loss plateau, they are supposed to be there to help me and not punish me. I like your idea of the 2-week liquid diet, but I already feel hungry all the time...I have to watch out for that emotional hunger though since I'm really stressed out already. So I will see what happens on Thursday.

Good for you! I added a whole lot of unflavored protein powder to my liquid diet and I wasn't ever hungry, it helps fill you up. I did have sugar cravings which they allowed sugar free fudge pops and popsicles that are pretty sweet so they helped. I sure hope all of it goes well, I'm ready for you to start your journey and get on with the rest of it! I think that is why I'm frustrated for you, the surgery is just step one, there is a whole lifetime after it and so much more beyond that point that I want you to already on the road to recovery and getting to the good parts! I'm crossing my fingers they get you on the right track and move you forward!

I had my appointment with the dietitian today. After the Physician Assistant told me 2 months ago that I "don't have to lose weight so fast," the Dietitian told me I am having a "slow weight loss." Talk about mixed messages. She gave me a "green light," but it doesn't really mean anything. The Psychologist still has me at a "yellow light" even though she had a good conversation with my Psychiatrist. She is supposed to call me some time next week as a follow-up. So now I have to wait another month for another appointment to see if I get approval to see the surgeon! And of course, the dietitian is now saying I should lose another 4 or 5 lbs by then. They don't get that in all my years of dieting, I have never gotten past a 15-lb weight loss. I'm so discouraged . . . o_O

Gah! Of course they do, and in the end it doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the actual surgery. Blah, they suck. I hope things improve for you soon!!!

Gah! Of course they do, and in the end it doesn't have any bearing whatsoever on the actual surgery. Blah, they suck. I hope things improve for you soon!!!
Thanks, Pixx. I really needed someone to give me support about this situation. I thought my Psychiatrist would have at least some empathy for my disappointment about the outcome. All he said was, "At least you got one green light." Yeah, and in another month, if I'm not perfect, the light can turn yellow again! Maybe they're testing me to see if I stay sane during this process!!:confused:

Hojo...oh boy. This is very aggravating. I feel you. I remember the first orientation i went to. The msn explained why some are required to lose a certain about. He held up a pencil for us to imagine it the surgical equipment. Then drops it on the table. That being in your belly. He was saying that the equipment had to be long enough or some such so the surgeon could get to the stomach. I thought that made a lot of sense...at the time. Now im like pfft. The medical industry is perfectly capable of getting equipment made to suit. They are supposed to be a team of professionals. And teammates communicate with each other. It sounds like yours isnt doing that...at least not well. But! I commend you for always trying. If you give up you have so much to lose. Im talking about consequence. So dont let them get you down. They should know you are earnest about this so tell them exactly what you need from them. I am sendung positive vibes your way. Youre strength amazes.

Thanks Carolyn285. I appreciate the support! My next appointment is on Friday, 5/18/18. I'm hoping to get approval to see a surgeon then. I heard there is about a 2-month wait to see a surgeon!
By the way, you look great in your new picture, Carolyn285! :)

Thanks Carolyn285. I appreciate the support! My next appointment is on Friday, 5/18/18. I'm hoping to get approval to see a surgeon then. I heard there is about a 2-month wait to see a surgeon!
By the way, you look great in your new picture, Carolyn285! :)
Thank you! It should say Carolyn277. Thats my current weight. But please, call me Carolyn. ;)...
...Youre very welcome.

Hi Carolyn! Thanks for rooting for me. I got my appointment with the surgeon on 6/7/18 . . . I guess it's normal to be nervous now . . . :confused:

Yes its very normal. It puts you closer to your goal and makes you aware that things are really happening. You will feel relief when you open your eyes in recovery.

Well, I'm making myself a nervous wreck, probably over nothing! :oops:

I gained back 5 of the 20 lbs I lost during the pre-operative part of my WLS program. I am so worried that at my appointment with the bariatric medical doctor on 7/27/18, that she is going to say, "See, you're not ready for surgery yet!" and cancel my surgery date of 8/20/18. :(

So, of course, to prove this to myself, I have let my emotions take over my eating and I'm eating all kinds of stuff I shouldn't be eating. :confused:

My original (and more sane plan) has been to try and pay more attention to the carbs I'm eating and start cutting back now before the 2-week pre-op diet so my life will be a little easier then. Up until now, I've been focusing on calories and just trying to restrict them. :rolleyes:

I can't believe how many carbs I've been eating at each meal and every day...mostly comfort foods. This makes me feel like I'm already setting myself up to fail :eek:!

Has anyone else been stuck in this spot of too many carbs a day? How have you been able to turn yourself around and focus more on carbs than calories? o_O

Oh the carb and calorie life...o_O

So in case they haven't told you yet, WLS will turn you onto a protein life.
Away with the carb and calorie counting! It will have no place in your life anymore! *small victory dance*

Might I suggest you start now? Focusing on protein before the surgery will only help you so much more afterwards! :D See if you can change some of your eating habits over to protein. Start off with 60-80 grams of protein a day. That is where you will need to be anyway once you've had the surgery so you'll know what it feels like and it will help. Try to do half of it by liquid, and half by whole foods. If you want to lose that 5lbs you could do an all liquid diet for a week, so long as the liquids are protein based shakes or soups. ;)

Also, don't let the various dieticians & nutritionists confuse you, ugh! The very dietician and nutritionist that the surgeon were having me speak to were giving me different directions and had me focused on calorie and carb counting! So frustrating! :confused: I was literally told by my surgeon less than a month ago, "Forget about all that junk, your a bypass patient, focus on 80-100 grams of protein a day, period. Carbs and calories no longer matter. Your meals are so small and you work out regularly, you are burning off more calories that you are eating in a day, you'll make yourself sick. Besides that, those guys aren't bypass patients and they don't live a protein lifestyle, you do. Focus only on protein and water, forget the rest."

I can tell you from experience Hojo, it has done wonders for my world of food. I can actually eat an oreo and not freak out. Mostly because I can only eat ONE oreo, but still, I don't count anymore. I totally focus on getting the right amount of protein and water in daily. I'm so full most of the time I don't know if I will be able to, and if I were to try to add more food for the sake of calories or carbs I would explode. I'm still losing weight, I always have energy and every once in awhile I enjoy my comfort foods! They come in small doses and I don't overdo it, but it isn't the end of the world either. :)

I wish you the best as your getting closer to the beginning of your lifestyle change and journey! :D

Oh the carb and calorie life...o_O

So in case they haven't told you yet, WLS will turn you onto a protein life.
Away with the carb and calorie counting! It will have no place in your life anymore! *small victory dance*

Might I suggest you start now? Focusing on protein before the surgery will only help you so much more afterwards! :D See if you can change some of your eating habits over to protein. Start off with 60-80 grams of protein a day. That is where you will need to be anyway once you've had the surgery so you'll know what it feels like and it will help. Try to do half of it by liquid, and half by whole foods. If you want to lose that 5lbs you could do an all liquid diet for a week, so long as the liquids are protein based shakes or soups. ;)

Also, don't let the various dieticians & nutritionists confuse you, ugh! The very dietician and nutritionist that the surgeon were having me speak to were giving me different directions and had me focused on calorie and carb counting! So frustrating! :confused: I was literally told by my surgeon less than a month ago, "Forget about all that junk, your a bypass patient, focus on 80-100 grams of protein a day, period. Carbs and calories no longer matter. Your meals are so small and you work out regularly, you are burning off more calories that you are eating in a day, you'll make yourself sick. Besides that, those guys aren't bypass patients and they don't live a protein lifestyle, you do. Focus only on protein and water, forget the rest."

I can tell you from experience Hojo, it has done wonders for my world of food. I can actually eat an oreo and not freak out. Mostly because I can only eat ONE oreo, but still, I don't count anymore. I totally focus on getting the right amount of protein and water in daily. I'm so full most of the time I don't know if I will be able to, and if I were to try to add more food for the sake of calories or carbs I would explode. I'm still losing weight, I always have energy and every once in awhile I enjoy my comfort foods! They come in small doses and I don't overdo it, but it isn't the end of the world either. :)

I wish you the best as your getting closer to the beginning of your lifestyle change and journey! :D

Thanks Pixx. You always have great suggestions. I am going to focus on the protein only. The carbs thing was making me crazy. I haven't been successful in making it through ONE DAY on an all liquid diet, but I think I'm not trying hard enough and feeling sorry for myself! :eek:

Time for me to grow up and get with the program! :oops:

Thanks for the great advice! :)

Nah, the liquid diet does suck! :p I tried a bazillion different shakes and yuck! If you can do a day of soups instead I recommend unflavored protein powder in the more tasty soups, like cream of chicken or even beef stew. They count on the liquid diet and aren't yucky! The salty yumminess of soup combined with the protein got me through all the liquid weeks and months before and after surgery. Oh, oh, and applesauce and jello are on the liquid diet! Jello helps with the hair loss thingy after surgery so yay, double win! The sugar free fudge pops were yuck before surgery but the sugar free juice pops still taste sweet before surgery. After surgery, if you lose your taste for sweets, the fudge pops are amazing! The juice pops I can't handle anymore and they are sugar free! Anyway, you can do it! The liquid diet isn't terrible, it just sucks when you have to do it for more than a week. I only had to do it one week before surgery thankfully, but I was stuck on it for 7 months after surgery, figures eh? o_O You've got this!

Back