• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

soup recipes

I found this email I sent to a friend with the famous "Cabbage Soup Diet." Now, I don't recommend it but I didn't edit it because I felt it should be honest, and represent who I was back then when I was dieting all the time. And this was all over the place. Everyone I knew tried this at least once and usually went right back to their same old bad habits. My mother was the person who shared it with me. That's a sad story.

But the recipe for cabbage soup is awesome. It's so good, I'd eat it for lunch every day. My son reminded me of it on the phone because he was in the process of making soup and as he was telling me what he was chopping and adding, I realized it was almost identical to the cabbage soup.

====================

I can vouch for this soup on every level. It's delicious, it's low in calories, it's full of the vitamins & minerals you need, & it even has some protein.

Every recipe on the internet is different. I have the one I used in my files but momentarily can't find it. You might want to make two batches on the same day, since you have a voracious appetite.

I'm also including the link to the Cabbage Suit Fad Diet. It also works, but it is so hard to stick to & you're always hungry.

Nevertheless, the link is here & my favorite recipe is below:
Two garlic cloves
2c yellow onions
1/2 c chopped carrot

Saute if you wish, in a tablespoon of olive oil, or skip this step entirely.

1 small head of cabbage, chopped roughly

1 can green beans, with juice
one can of beef broth OR four beef bouilion cubes.
dashes of salt, pepper, basil, oregano, or other spices you like.

Cover the entire mess with water; bring to boil. Turn heat down & simmer for 15 or 20 minutes, to cook veggies until soft. If you sauteed the carrots, this will only take 10 to 15 minutes.

Add
1/2 cup zucchini

Simmer five minutes more. Eat as much as you want

You can also add other vegetables as long as they aren't starchy. No potatoes or green peas. Broccoli has protein. You can use sweet peppers & mushrooms & celery.

below this line is what I wrote then. I DO NOT SUBSCRIBE TO THIS KIND OF EATING ANYMORE! I included it for historical accuracy and to be honest.
===================================
Here's the diet, beginning with a pep talk:
Seven Keys to Success

Follow the diet to the letter!
Drink at least 4 glasses of water per day (or more!). (8 glasses is recommended)
Remember – it is only seven days long!
Complement the diet with a quality daily multi-vitamin.
Print information from this site and refer to it daily (especially the 7 Day Plan!).
Eat plenty of soup – the more you eat, the more you should lose! Do not try to starve yourself or you’ll probably cheat (this is what we don’t want).
Add different spices to liven up the soup and add variety and make it taste better.

Stick With The Cabbage Soup Diet For 7 Days…And Look Amazing Later, Too!

The Cabbage Soup Diet WORKS and helps you lose weight fast. After you drop that weight, you’ll be looking and feeling great…and the key is to NOT gain it back later, right?

Day One:

Fruit: Eat all of the fruit you want (except bananas). Eat only your soup and the fruit for the first day. For drinks- unsweetened teas, cranberry juice and water.
Day Two:

Vegetables: Eat until you are stuffed will all fresh, raw or cooked vegetables of your choice. Try to eat leafy green vegetables and stay away from dry beans, peas and corn. Eat all the vegetables you want along with your soup. At dinner, reward yourself with a big baked potato with butter. Do not eat fruit today.
Day Three:

Mix Days One and Two: Eat all the soup, fruits and vegetables you want. No Baked Potato.
Day Four:

Bananas and Skim Milk: Eat as many as eight bananas and drink as many glasses of skim milk as you would like on this day, along with your soup. This day is supposed to lessen your desire for sweets.
Day Five:

Beef And Tomatoes: Ten to twenty ounces of beef and up to six fresh tomatoes. Drink at least 6 to 8 glasses of water this day to wash the uric acid from your body. Eat your soup at least once this day. You may eat broiled or baked chicken instead of beef (but absolutely no skin-on chicken). If you prefer, you can substitute broiled fish for beef on one of the beef days (but not both).
Day Six:

Beef and Vegetables: Eat to your heart’s content of beef and vegetables this day. You can even have 2 or 3 steaks if you like, with leafy green vegetables. No Baked Potato. Eat your soup at least once.
Day Seven:

Brown rice, unsweetened fruit juices and vegetables: Again stuff, stuff, stuff yourself. Be sure to eat your soup at least once this day.
Day 8 and Beyond:

The Cabbage Soup Diet is not suitable for long-term weight loss. The Diet is a low-fat, high-fiber diet that will help you get into shape fast before you embark on a more moderate long-term eating plan. Many struggle in long-term plans due to lack of willpower.

I remember this! It's amazing the things that they told us, and that we were willing to do to lose weight. Eat only soup. Have 8 bananas. Eat 20 oz of beef. Stuff yourself. Wasn't there a banana and egg diet as well!?!

And the REAL problem with all of that old diet advice, is some of it sticks in your head decades later. They told us fat was bad, carbs were bad, sugar is bad.

Nothing natural needs to be completely restricted from your diet. Fat and carbs are both necessary for your body to function properly. Nothing is healthy in excess. Even cabbage lol

Back