• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

SOYBEAN BURGERS

Who can make a burger that tastes better than a beef burger?

You can use canned soy beans but they will not match the ones you make at home.

Make a pot full of soy beans left to simmer, uncovered, until soft, transfer into 3 freezer bags, and use the 4th portion for first batch of 4 patties.

Go wherever your imagination takes you.

You can eat these like burgers or even as Swedish meatballs, pizzas or sandwiches.

It will take two days to prep the beans. I recommend making a huge batch and keeping in the freezer in silicone envelopes.

1 bag soybeans
Garlic/onions/salt to taste

Soak dried beans in water for one whole day, or a bit longer. Dump into a colander twice during soaking, drain and rise well, them return to soaking.

Put beans in fresh water and cook well until soft. Drain again and reserve the cooking liquid.

Transfer beans to cookie sheet to air-dry a little until they're not wet.

Prepare filling ingredients, according to your taste

1 carrot
1 stick celery
1 T nut butter (peanut or tahini are fine, or your personal taste), optional
1 mild onion
1 T nutritional yeast, optional
1 egg
1 cup mildly pulverized whole oats

COMBINE

Use a food processor if desired, or a potato masher. Smash SOYBEAN mix but not as fine as refried beans. You want to make a chunky base, with partial and whole soybeans in the mash.

Because you cooked the beans in salted water, don't add any more to season.

Steam or boil veggies to al dente. When cooled, do a rough chop and add to bean mash.

Add egg and yeast, along with any spices, to the mash. Don't add a spice that wouldn't taste good in a cheeseburger. You could use a teaspoon of gravy mix or dry soup mix, or even taco spice if you want fiesta burgers. I'd add powdered mushrooms, a little dill and maybe a pinch of bouillon powder.

Incorporate well, but make sure the final mix looks like a bowl of raw ground beef.

Less is definitely more. Use a little cooking water if it's too thick, then add the oats to hold the patties together.

Heat up your griddle, grill or frying pan, form wide, thin patties, and brown the soyburgers as you like.

Serve with a slice of melted cheese.

If you use as burgers, use a bun or bread spread with ketchup, relish, mustard, sliced tomatoes and iceberg lettuce.

You can make a sandwich spread out of 1,000 Island dressing cut with nonfat cottage cheese and/or plain yogurt.

Alternate forms of bread, like flour tortillas or middle-Eastern flatbread are fine. Of course, you can use reduced fat or calorie bread.

When I have a burger, I take a bite or two to set my palate. Then I toss the top bun away and eat as much as I can fit in, using a fork and knife on a plate. My primary focus is on the high-protein soy patty, which is also delicious.

You can skip the bun entirely. If you make small patties, use the lettuce leaf as a wrap, with condiments inside.

Back