• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

St. Patty's Day = New Beginning

Hey there.
I'm new to the site and just had the VSG procedure this past Tuesday. Was hoping to get to know others going through/having gone through the same thing. I'm excited about the whole process but having a problem finding protein I can tolerate. I have food allergies which makes it difficult. Between that and the fact I feel like I can't drink much at all. Is that normal early out?

Thanks so much for all your info and help. Take care!

Reactions: Lea
Hey there.
I'm new to the site and just had the VSG procedure this past Tuesday. Was hoping to get to know others going through/having gone through the same thing. I'm excited about the whole process but having a problem finding protein I can tolerate. I have food allergies which makes it difficult. Between that and the fact I feel like I can't drink much at all. Is that normal early out?

Thanks so much for all your info and help. Take care!

Hi!!! WELCOME to the Forum!!!

It's very normal to have trouble getting your liquids down the first couple of weeks. Remember that sugar free jello and sugar free popsicles are liquids too. Also .. Don't forget .. Sip, sip, sip.

The 2nd week after surgery I was allowed to eat eggs. The third week fish. That helped me tremendously with getting my correct amount of protein in. The first couple weeks I probably was lacking protein because I had a very hard time drinking enough of my protein shakes. Just do your best. You'll have to work around your allergies. Talk to your nutritionist for suggestions.

Good Luck!!! :)

Cheyenne :cool:

Thanks so much Cheyenne!

I've been so worried since I started this journey that I wouldn't be able to get all the necessary nutrients to be healthy! Happy to know if it isn't perfect from the get go that I won't be hurt by it down the road. Now, if only all of the gassy bloating mess would go away I'd be able to get back to normal!

Playing with the protein shakes now. Tried some out pre surgery but never found any that weren't super gritty and hard to swallow.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks so much Cheyenne!

I've been so worried since I started this journey that I wouldn't be able to get all the necessary nutrients to be healthy! Happy to know if it isn't perfect from the get go that I won't be hurt by it down the road. Now, if only all of the gassy bloating mess would go away I'd be able to get back to normal!

Playing with the protein shakes now. Tried some out pre surgery but never found any that weren't super gritty and hard to swallow.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks.. :) have a great weekend too!

I saw my surgeon recently for a check up and he said he could tell I took my vitamins, calcium and supplements regularly. My blood work was great! I told him I never miss them, and he was extremely happy with me. He said many people get tired of taking them and eventually end up in the hospital.

The gas they put in you at surgery can take a month to get out of you. It can even get up into your shoulders and make them ache badly. That's what happened to me.

Take Care,

Cheyenne

I agree, the gas was the worse part for me and still bothers me. I am 3 weeks post surgery. I can only drink the protein shakes if I put lots of ice in them and add some water. It seems to help. You may try that. :eek:

Thanks so much! My husband found a low sugar low carb Muscle Milk yesterday that has 40 g protein per bottle. Was only able to get 4 oz down but it's a start!

Lots of great answers here.

I have been away from the forum for the past week or two. Glad to be back. We are in Virginia Beach celebrating our grandson's firs birthday!

It does take awhile to work yourself up to being able to get all your liiquids down. To this day I still tend to be somewhat dehydrated. I have to work on it all.

Liquids are water and milk and jello and etc., etc., any way you can get them down is great. The protein shakes are a must; especially in the early months.

Best wishes,

Ralph

Thanks so much Ralph! So nice to meet you and I appreciate the feedback I've gotten from this forum. I have my first follow up appointment this afternoon so I'm excited to see how things are healing although I'm not sure what all will take place. I'm searching for more variety on the protein shakes and have found a couple and also found some unflavored protein powder at Sprouts that I can mix in with some other stuff like soup. I will get there.

On another note I had a mini meltdown yesterday. I just got really emotional and frustrated and angry all of a sudden and started crying. Did anyone else have that happen?

I haven't had that happen but think it would be understandable. To me this is the hardest thing emotionally and mentally I have ever done. I am about to have one though if I don't start losing weight!!! 3 lbs. in almost 3 weeks isn't doing it for me!

Yeah, I guess it would seem normal considering all of the mental and emotional changes we are going through. I just felt out of control and helpless. Didn't help that it was around dinner time and my husband and two boys were eating something that just smelled amazing while I'm over there sipping lemon water. -__-

Until I'm back to eating real food (smaller portioned healthier real food) I think it will be a struggle.

Hello, I am new to site too. I had my gastric sleeve done March 9th. my post-op was tues 24th. I was told loosing a pound a day should be about right, right now so recent from surgery. You might want to talk with your doctor. Take advantage of this crucial time to lose weight. I can see how frustrating that can be! Call to talk to your nutritionist too! let me know how it goes. God bless!

Yeah, I've had it happen quite a few times now. Feel so out of control but I know as I get the hang of things and get into a groove I will be fine. Excited to go back to work tomorrow!

Back