• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

stalled at 6 wks post op

jeff

need help i am stalled at 6 wks post op i am trying to get all my liguids in and protein even joined a gym go 3 times week but i still havent moved from 247 what can i do what am i doing wrong o r what can i do to jump start it agian can any one help

Jeff-Are you kidding me? You have already lost 54 pounds in 6 weeks. Congrats on that! It normal to plateau now and then. If you are following your meal plan and stay at a plateau for more than a couple of weeks, call your dietitian for suggestions. If you are not consuming the recommended amount of calories and protein this can cause your metabolism to slow way down to protect yourself from starving. Check what you are eating and drinking and keep a log so you know exactly what you need to do. Don't get discouraged, you are doing fantastic.

Last edited:
No, I used your location instead of your name. I corrected the error. The "are you kidding me" means I think you are doing great. Where is Troutman North anyway? Is this the name of a town? What state, etc. Sounds like a good place to fish.

Hi Jeff, you are doing great. After surgery I went to the gym quite often and my job could also be strenuose at time requiring hiking steep hills carring 35+/- lbs for miles a day. My guess is you are gaining muscle and losing fat. I was somewhat discouraged when that started happening with me but my cloths kept getting looser on me so I didn't worry about it to much and during my doctors visits it was confirmed that while actual weight loss was minimal I had lost fat and gained muscle which is more efficient at burning calories. In my support group that I attend everyone suggests taking measurement but I relie on how my cloths fit. Pat made a good point to keep a daily intake log of what your eating to make sure you are getting enough protien. I had to track my protien intake the first year because I had no appitite and protien shakes were the only way I could make sure I was getting at least 60 gms of protien a day. Sounds to me like you are on track, keep it up. :cool: Tom

Hi Jeff!

I felt the same way at about 6 weeks. No worries. The weight will keep coming off.

I also go more by the way my clothes fit, as the scale doesn't always reflect what is going on as I add muscle.

Best of luck to you!

In same boat. . Down 40 lbs, 5 wks out, but I've stalled for about 1.5wks. :( bummed out too. KeepING up with hope & doing what I can to get those minimums in.

need help i am stalled at 6 wks post op i am trying to get all my liguids in and protein even joined a gym go 3 times week but i still havent moved from 247 what can i do what am i doing wrong o r what can i do to jump start it agian can any one help

First of all, have faith. These things happen. I don't think you're doing anything wrong. You won't keep losing at the same rate you did during the first few weeks. It will slow down. How long have the scales been denying all your hard work? I read about a lady that was doing everything right and she hit a 3-week plateau. I thought OMG but she kept on and the scales did come down. My thoughts are that you've been working out and building muscle which weighs more that fat, but occupies less space. Perhaps this is causing the discrepancy. Do your clothes fit differently? Try taking your measurements each week so you can prove to yourself that your efforts are being rewarded. You're back on some real foods now too. My advice is log everything you eat and drink. I use an app on my phone. It will help to ensure you're staying within your doctor's guidelines. People who keep a food log are, statistically, more successful than those who don't. I'll do anything to improve my chances and it's not as difficult as I thought it would be. I can check back and see what and when I've eaten. Lacking hunger it's easy for me to forget to eat. That's something I've never said before! Watch out for hidden sodium/salt in prepared foods. Read the labels. Extra salt makes you retain fluids that will throw the scales off. Cut back on the carbs. Starches and sugars are your enemies. Drink an extra glass of water or 2. You're sweating as you work out and need extra fluids to replace what you've lost at the gym. I know you feel like all you do is eat and drink water all day. That's me. I've been advised to try not to get on the scale every day. But it's hard not to! Weight fluctuates from day to day depending on many things. Water retention, bowel movements, even the time of day you step on the scale. A weigh in once or twice a week will be much more satisfying. Speaking of... bowel movements ain't what they used to be... no one talks about it but it can make a big difference. My doctor recommended a daily stool softener to keep things moving. I munch down a small salad every day too. Are you taking all the vitamins the doctor advised? It's important to keep nourishing your body while your diet is so restricted. You don't want your body to kick into famine mode. Our physiology is very complex and we have many built-in genetic safeguards developed over the millennia to help us survive famines and war rationing. So we have to keep nutrition up while we keep our food intake so low or our natural defenses will sabotage our efforts. In a nutshell, keep doing everything as per your doctor's instructions and have faith the scales will begin to go down again. Keep smiling, you'll make it!

My Dr told me to only weigh myself once a month, and my husband has threatened to hide the scale so I have not stepped on that scale in a while, it is hard and I kinda wish he would have hid it cause I have to look at it everyday lol

Back