• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stalled weight loss

mcolburn

I had the gastric sleeve done on August 18 and lost a decent amount of weight. I am currently in a weight loss stall and have been for 2-3 weeks. It is frustrating and somewhat depressing. My weight has gone up a little but I am sure this is due to water retention/swelling. I was wondering how long the stall can typically last and is there anything I can do to speed it up?

Hello and welcome. A stall is perfectly normal and there isn't much you can do about it, if your not at fault. Often, your body is just taking a pause to evaluate where your at. If you are overeating, that is another thing, but you say that isn't the case.
If you search the posts here, you will see lots of information on stalls, why they happen and how to deal with them. Good luck

What everyone said so far is spot on. I had my gastric bypass on July 12th. I lost weight fairly quickly the 1st couple of months, then slowed down to.5 to 1.5 lbs a week (I only weigh myself weekly on Mondays). I also had a few weeks where the scale wouldn't budge.

On Monday the 8th I weighed myself, hoping not to have gained, and was shocked to see a 10 lb loss since last Monday. Stalls are temporary, even though they might seem endless. As long as you still are doing what you did before the stall, you will begin losing again. Good luck with your progress.

I was wondering how long the stall can typically last and is there anything I can do to speed it up?

After losing 75 pounds in a few months, I stalled for five months. I broke my stall by changing my routine drastically. The weight burned off quickly until my total loss was 115 pounds.

Altogether it took 14 months. I have no regrets, but wish I hadn't made such a fuss about stalling. I don't need any more failure messages.

I hope you can do better than I did. The weight piled on slowly, and it may seem to come off slowly. But once you reach that goal, it's relatively easy to maintain a healthy weight.

Yeah, I had been working out at the Y in order to start mountain hiking in the North Cascades. I was building stamina and tone, but didn't start burning efficiently until I started hiking.

So I was carrying a heavy backpack, drinking lots of water while walking, climbing and sweating, changing altitudes and taking rest breaks. I was eating MetRX bars and ramen and every kind of protein I could store in my pack, like cheeses and jerky. It wasn't a balanced diet, but I'd switched everything up so drastically, my body adapted. When I wasn't in the mountains I ate healthy foods listed in my post-op diet (see file in Latest Resources section). I continued to work out at the YMCA because I loved it. After working out, I'd swim a few laps, then spa and sauna followed by cold shower. I was transformed because all my senses were involved in a physical activity.

Worked for me.

I had the gastric sleeve done on August 18 and lost a decent amount of weight. I am currently in a weight loss stall and have been for 2-3 weeks. It is frustrating and somewhat depressing. My weight has gone up a little but I am sure this is due to water retention/swelling. I was wondering how long the stall can typically last and is there anything I can do to speed it up?
I hit my first stall at 4.5 months out and going on vacation and eating things I typically don’t actually broke my stall and I lost 2lbs lol. Weird how that worked out.

Back