• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Started liquid diet today

Beckyd30

I started my pre-op diet today and I am having a hard time. My stomach is growling like crazy. I don't want to drink the protein shakes too fast, so I tried using a spoon. (not working) I added ice to try to cut the sweetness of the shake. I have taken a sip of water between each sip of shake. Everyone around me is eating real food and it's making things worse.

How long should I be taking to drink my 8 ounce shakes? Any suggestions on this or anything else to help me through the next 2 weeks would be greatly appreciated.

I did well on the shakes.. But I spaced them out pretty far, I would have my first one before work, at like 6:30 am, Then my second one when I got home at 1, then I would wait to have my last one at about 7:30, I just thought it would help to have the last one so late, to prevent me from getting hungry during the night. It seemed to work. I had the Isopure from GNC It is WAYYYY better than the Whey Protein from Costco... I cant handle that one. I got the vanilla one and would add torani sf flavors to it. Now I am almost 4 weeks post op. Are you able to use fruit in your shakes? My dr had me use fruit. Keep trying! don't give up.

I see the dietician on Wednesday for my training class pre-op. I was going to ask if I could puree some fruit into the shakes to make me fuller longer. Right now, I am drinking Muscle Milk Light (chocolate, cookies'n'cream, strawberry and banana creme), and am not sure how fast to drink them. They want me to drink 5 a day, since it gives me 12 grams a protein a shake.

When you have your surgery you won't be able to ingest anything very fast. Get used to taking your time, its good practice. What's the rush take your time and enjoy.

And face it, we were just not made to drink our food. It's mind over matter. You will get through this, one day at a time.

I am doing better today then yesterday, my stomach wouldn't stop growling all day. Now I have felt it growl and take about 3 sips of protein shake and a gulp of water to get the sweetness out of my mouth. I am also doing better about drinking my 64 ounces of water, almost got it halfway down (yesterday I didn't make a dent). Thanks for the encouragment.

I had my surgery a week ago today... I didn't have only liquids before the surgery, just special food... It's a weird adjustment, but my stomach is still real sore and that makes me more able to comply with the rules. I am feeling a little overwhelmed with all the expectations I have to be patient and wait for. If anyone has any stories to share I would appreciate any help I can get... I had the sleeve and just don't know what to expect.

No... just liquids till next tuesday... but thanks on the protien tip... I've been using that Whey stuff and it is not good!

Back