• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Started my 2-week liquid diet today. Surgery October 8!

Suzie

Hi, all. I'm new to this group. I'm having the Roux en Y surgery in 2 weeks, and I'm so excited! I know several people who have had the surgery, with varying degrees of success. It seems to me that the success you have depends largely upon the effort you put into it...so I'm looking forward to massive weight loss with a massive effort! I started the liquid diet this morning, after that "week of panic" that people told me I'd have...where I pretty much ate everything in sight. I don't mind the taste of the shakes, but I don't care for the consistency. Oh, well. It's only 2 weeks. I'm seriously looking forward to the several weeks after surgery, when I can concentrate on exercise for several hours a day. Right now, I work at a desk job...sitting for 10 hours a day. I try to get in exercise now, but I'm hoping to make it a true habit during those weeks of recovery. I want to start bicycling, but you know the thought when you see an overweight person on a bike - "where is that seat, really?" Reading other people's posts, I feel very lucky...I thought about gastric bypass surgery on and off for the last 5 years, but when I finally got serious about it - in June - I called up my insurance company and got the coverage information, then started the rounds of doctor's appointments. Scheduled my surgery for October 8. About a week or two ago, my surgeon's office called me up to let me know my insurance company approved me for the surgery (I'm "only" at 38 BMI, but I also have sleep apnea). I didn't even know there had been a question about insurance coverage, so I was glad to hear about the approval! I haven't told most people, because frankly, their opinions wouldn't change my mind. They may think what they like AFTER I go ahead with my own life choice. They don't have to live inside my skin. This seems like a great group, and I look forward to leaning on other members, as well as eventually being able to help others with issues I've gone through. Thanks in advance, for being there for me!

Hey, Suzie,

Congratulations! You must be sooo excited about your upcoming, life changing surgery!!!

I've heard vitalady.com is a good place to get samples of different protein drinks/powders. As you might imagine, not only does taste vary from brand to brand -- vanilla can be very different -- but so does consistency. Naturally, check with your doctor first, just in case there's some special reason he wants you on that particular brand.

You've certainly come to a good place. It's friendly here and very supportive.

I hope you check in often to see what's going on and reach out for any support you might want or need.

Suzie, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your decision to have WLS. I think success depends more on attitude than massive effort, so hopefully you will go into it with the right mindset. A lot of people can lose weight with WLS but it's maintenance that is hard. I wish you all the luck in the world.
Don't worry about how you look while you are exercising. I still remember the first time I went to the gym and I thought everyone was looking at me, then I figured out that they were looking at THEMSELVES in the mirrors! It made me chuckle.
I go to a university gym where the average participant is 18 to 22 years old. Lets just say I'm old enough to be their grandmother. One kid came up to me once and said "I just admire you so much, you are here all of the time just working so hard". I said, "UH, if you see me all the time, then that means that you are here all the time too". He said "Yeah, but you're so....." I'm thinking "what, old, fat, decrepit, what?". He says "Yeah, but you must work all day and be so busy and have a family and everything". Good cleanup!

Suzie-Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are very ready for this :) Make sure to come back here to let everyone know how you are doing.

Hi Suzie, Welcome. You sound like you are ready for this, make sure to come back and let us know how you are doing on the liquid diet, that was the hardest part for me but I am sure you will do fine if I can make it any one can. :cool: Tom

Congratulations Suzie! Excited for you... I just had my surgery and though the pre-op diet sucks it is worth it, my surgeon was pleased I followed it because it made his job easier and the surgery went faster... so stick with it... and I agree with Qaterra try different shakes, or maybe the protein drinks, that are more of a just drink like consistency like Cytomax Protein Drink, Syntrax Nectar Protein, Isopure Plus Zero carb, Body Fortress Super Protein Shot....of course ask your doctor first, they are on my list and though I like the protein shakes one guy at my doctors office swears by these and he was saying last week that GNC was having a buy one get one half off... Wishing the best for you!!! Send good thoughts your way!

Hi everyone, and thanks so much for all the positive vibes!

Wow, this liquid diet is easier than I thought is some ways, but harder than I could have imagined in other ways. I'm lucky...I'm on day 4 and I have absolutely no cravings (so far). Yeah, I'd LIKE to eat a tuna sandwich, or some tomato soup, but it's not hard to put that stuff out of my mind. On the other hand, my doctor insists that we use HIS brand of liquid protein for the pre-op diet, so I have no choice on that one. It's truly awful stuff. I literally gag every time I go to drink it, and it makes me feel nauseated for an hour or two afterwards. Because of that, I'm not drinking it as much as I should. Instead of (5) 2-scoop servings a day, I'm having (3) 1-scoop servings. I know that's not enough protein, but I can't keep the stuff down if I use more, or drink it more often. My doctor's office was helpful enough to tell me to keep going for another few days, and if I still have trouble, to call them. Sigh. This, too, shall pass.

Hi, Suzie,

I'm going to ask because I like to try different brands of protein supplements to avoid flavor burnout. Deep breath . . . what is the brand your doctor insists you drink? Suggestion: make a batch of Jello, mix in enough of the protein powder to give you 2 scoops per 1/2 cup or 1 cup serving, then chill, might help. Ask doctor's office first, of course,

Hi, Qaterra. My doctor uses Bariatric Advantage. I did finally talk to the nutritionist last night (he has one in his office), and after letting her know how badly I was reacting to the drink, she gave me the OK to use a different over the counter drink. What a difference! It doesn't have the same bulk (therefore not as filling) as the horrible one, so I'm eating more Jell-O and drinking more water, but that's not a bad thing!

10 days left, and counting!!!

Suzie,

That's terrific! So, now, not only are you getting enough protein (I hope), you're also getting more Jello and more water? That's a very good thing, and YOU made it happen. Good for you!!! If something isn't working, it isn't working. I don't care how many other people it has worked for. If it isn't working for you, it's no good. And you went back to your authority (your doctor's office) and got it changed.

Bariatric Advantage is expensive, too. If you need your shakes to be more filling (I don't know what you've substituted), you might try adding some hemp (or other) fiber to the shake; hemp and other fiber options should be readily available at local health food stores, or online. Check with your nutritionist first, natch. You might ask her what fiber they want you to take post-op; maybe they will allow you to just start that one a little early.

So . . . you're a fighter! You're doing great.

Suzie! Surgery day!!!

Did you take laptop with you to hospital? Do you know I'm thinking all kinds of good thoughts for you???

Check in when you're up to it and let us know how you're doing.

Suzie, how are you doing post op? You were done on the 8th? Now is the 22nd so you should be up and about but we want to know you are ok!

Back