• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

starting adventure

I wish I could tell you everything about the decision is skittles and rainbows and cute puppies and easy. I can't, because it isn't. I agree with you, it is a life-long commitment and a very hard decision for most people. I personally didn't struggle with the decision myself. I had the surgery for medical necessity and preventative care. What you need to really focus on is your life-long commitment to obesity. Are you at a point in your life where you are ready to change that status and work towards a new and healthy you? If you choose not to have the surgery, is that because you are going to commit to getting healthy, eating the right foods, losing the weight, working out and reaching your goal weight naturally over time? If so, I commend you on that and I wish you total success! If you choose to have the surgery, you still have to commit to getting healthy, eating the right foods, losing the weight, working out and reaching your goal weight, you just do it a little differently and you use the tool given to you to help you be successful in your efforts to achieve a new and healthy you. It is completely worth the effort to either get fit naturally or have the surgery. You are worth it either way you choose to go. The big question is, can you do it on your own if you don't have the surgery? Only you know that answer. So, yes, it is a lifestyle change in the way you eat and maintain your health and wellness. Yes, the surgery is hard and recovery as well. Is it worth it? Absolutely. In my opinion anyway. I'm only 6 months out from bypass surgery. It's been rough. There have been times I have thought 'What was I thinking?' and adjusting to the new lifestyle beyond recovery takes time and there are many bumps along the way. At the heart of everything though, when asked, I absolutely do not regret the surgery. I am 6 months out, I've lost 100 lbs. so far. I'm working out 5-6 days a week, (yes, that's right, someone who never exercised a day in her life is at a gym nearly every day of the week, crazy right?) and I can do things I could never do before. My quality of life has improved so much in such a short period of time, that I just feel blessed and am so much happier. Makes all of those rough bumps easier to handle because I know I'm working towards a new and improved healthy life. I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Everyone is different. I think you can do this and be successful!

I am awaiting my surgery date and was beginning to think I got lost in the shuffle. This is a great forum. I know now that I am not the only one in limbo.

I am a little more than 6 months into my weight loss journey. It's getting closer to actual decision time--by the program people involved in recommending my weight loss surgery, the insurance company, and myself.
I had a minor setback and gained 2 lbs over each of the last 2 months for a total of 4 lbs. So far in the program, I lost a total of 20 lbs in 6 months. Naturally, my dietitian was not happy with the weight gain. She said she would see me in 6 weeks and hopefully, I will be back on track by then. So she gave me a "yellow light" with respect to the weight loss surgery. (You need all "green lights" to be referred to the surgeon.)
Yesterday, which was about 2 weeks after I saw the Dietitian, I had my interview with the Psychologist. I wasn't expecting to be weighed at this appointment. Silly me--it's a weight loss program! Of course, I was going to be weighed. At typical appointments, I will wear light clothing and take off my coat and shoes before being weighed. But, I was caught off guard and didn't do this. It was also right after lunch. (Strike three!) So I weighed 3 lbs more than when I saw the Dietitian. I was still reeling from this when I started out with the Psychologist.
I think I did alright with the Psychologist, but it's not always easy to tell. She also gave me a "yellow light," because I have a history of depression and substance abuse. She needs to speak to my Psychiatrist before she can determine if she can give me a "green light." She said she would call me in about 4 weeks to let me know the final outcome.
So, the next 4 weeks will be nerve-wracking!:eek:

Back