• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Starting out: How do you gain momentum?

So epic fail...lesson learned. I made 3 big crock pots full of healthy chili. 'Keto diet' approved which for the most part goes hand in hand with bariatric foods. Anyway, I wanted to freeze a bunch for winter coming up, make my life easier when I don't want to cook, which at the moment is never, as I'm not hungry. So what did I do? I made cornbread and jalapeno cornbread to go with it for the family. Leftovers sat around a few days and without even thinking, I grabbed a small bite of cornbread. I hate food that goes wasted so I had been encouraging everyone to eat some. Man oh man! Big mistake! I was in so much pain...for like 8 hours! Ugh! So lesson learned. :oops: Hopefully I won't be making that mistake anytime soon or ever again!

So epic fail...lesson learned. I made 3 big crock pots full of healthy chili. 'Keto diet' approved which for the most part goes hand in hand with bariatric foods. Anyway, I wanted to freeze a bunch for winter coming up, make my life easier when I don't want to cook, which at the moment is never, as I'm not hungry. So what did I do? I made cornbread and jalapeno cornbread to go with it for the family. Leftovers sat around a few days and without even thinking, I grabbed a small bite of cornbread. I hate food that goes wasted so I had been encouraging everyone to eat some. Man oh man! Big mistake! I was in so much pain...for like 8 hours! Ugh! So lesson learned. :oops: Hopefully I won't be making that mistake anytime soon or ever again!
I’m so sorry. It will be something you will not forget. I think we all have to make that mistake.

I'm also sorry to hear what happened. I kind of understand. My situation is not quite the same. I'm only in month 1 of a 6-month program being assessed for possible WLS. I'm trying really hard to lose 10% of my weight required for the program. But this morning, the vending machine at work called out my name and before I knew it, I wasted 200 calories of my daily allotted 1500 calories on junk food. Although I didn't get ill like you did, I'm going to be real hungry later because I'm almost out of calories for the day today. :(

Thanks for the support! :) I survived :) I hope my getting sick doesn't derail you from seeking out the surgery HoJo. Yes, it is something that is part of the whole package, but only if you stray off the narrow path like I did. I haven't done much of it, I've been on the nausea train for months. But I've been able to slowly eat more and more solid foods. Actually, I didn't even think about it when I did it, an old habit I need to break away from! 99% of the time I'm so wrapped up in the constant loop of making sure I get my protein and water in daily that after I reach goal for the day I just kind of relax, that's when I failed. :rolleyes: Anyway, I wouldn't change a thing. I would have the surgery again, all issues included. I'm moving into month 5 after surgery, I'm working out 5 -6 days a week, with very minimal soreness and I feel great. I've lost 75 lbs. and I have less and less nausea as time goes by, thank goodness! I'm still learning daily and unfortunately I am still making mistakes. :oops: But the support here and learning from those mistakes is invaluable! I hope your journey becomes a reality for you and that you obtain success towards a new healthier lifestyle!

Time to confess my oops moment. My hubby and I went out for a nice dinner last night to celebrate the 23rd anniversary of our first date. Kind of silly, but an important date to me. Anyway, after having some steak salad, I thought a piece of key lime pie would be perfect to bring home for dessert. Boy, was I wrong. After a few bites I realized it was way too rich, so I stopped eating it. Within 20 minutes I was so nauseous it was ridiculous. I couldn’t even take my night time medicines. I am still sick this morning! I learned my lesson. No more indulgences for this girl.

Newby here again . . . I'm still struggling to lose enough weight to be approved for WLS, which I think is the real start of my journey. I lost 11 lbs through much struggle. Initially, I was planing to skip Thanksgiving altogether. You know, pretend like there's no holiday going on! Silly me . . . I slipped up and accepted an invitation for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm nervous because I live alone and don't keep goodies in the house. I haven't had any goodies in about 2 months. I don't know how I will control my eating on Thanksgiving, especially with everyone insisting I have more of the food they made or they will be insulted! How do the rest of you manage? No one knows I am working toward WLS and I'm not planning to bring it up.:confused:

11lbs is awesome! Great going! Keep up the good work! The holidays are going to be a challenge for a lot of us I think. It will be my first turkey day as well but as a post op patient. I have a feeling though that next year will be harder than this year, as I'm not able to eat many of the foods yet. I would suggest you treat the holiday as a challenge. See if you can incorporate the small portion sizes and the habit of protein first before everything else. Turkey or ham with a few veggies works great as a meal :) Also, at the first food gathering I attended I brought my own healthy desserts of yogurt bark & the no bake cookies that are basically a protein drink in dessert form. I didn't tell anyone they were healthy and they were a hit. You might try something similar. If you do end up eating a few goodies in the end, cause really pecan pie and pumpkin anything is just yummy, roll with it. Don't let one meal derail all the hard work you've put in up until now. One meal isn't going to regain you 11lbs. Jump back on the band wagon and keep working on your goal. Your doing great so far, you've got this! :D

Newby here again . . . I'm still struggling to lose enough weight to be approved for WLS, which I think is the real start of my journey. I lost 11 lbs through much struggle. Initially, I was planing to skip Thanksgiving altogether. You know, pretend like there's no holiday going on! Silly me . . . I slipped up and accepted an invitation for Thanksgiving dinner. I'm nervous because I live alone and don't keep goodies in the house. I haven't had any goodies in about 2 months. I don't know how I will control my eating on Thanksgiving, especially with everyone insisting I have more of the food they made or they will be insulted! How do the rest of you manage? No one knows I am working toward WLS and I'm not planning to bring it up.:confused:
I agree with everything Pixx said. Last Thanksgiving I was in the middle of my protein shake diet right before surgery. I decided to take the day off and slightly indulge in the holiday. I had protein, small amount of turkey and a deviled egg and indulged in a small amount of green bean casserole. No dessert and surprisingly I was satisfied. Don’t not eat or you will later indulge in other foods that are even more unhealthy. Thanksgiving doesn’t have to be all about the food either. Enjoy the company and if someone asks about your eating choices, just say you have decided to become healthier. Congrats on your 11#. That’s an awesome start! :)

Thanks for the great advice. Good ideas that I can really sink my teeth into. (Oh, bad choice of words!) I'm going to try the protein first then veggies. I can always do what my sister used to do with food she didn't like--she would spread it around her dish and it looked like she only left a little food behind!;)

Christine, you are right on target with your answer to me. I have a tendency to try to fix everything and of course, "perfectly," right at the start. It never works. I like your suggestion to take on things in a stepwise fashion. This has obviously worked for you!
hi I'm new my name is Pam,and I'm suppose to get sleeve but got to lose 17 more pounds,before they do it due to insurance,but I do 2 protein shakes a day,1 breakfast,1 lunch,and then dinner portioned of course,and usually its fish,chicken,or turkey,baked,or grilled,sometimes salad,or tuna..it gets easier but is a lot work when you have to read all the labels,,black beans,cabbage and greens r good.hope to talk soon and congrats

M
my nephew demolished them. They weren't as powerful a temptation as the apple pie oreos, still. I hope I get through this. Mom says cake mix is on sale. Sigho_O
you no what I found and its good and we all can eat it if you have a Aldis store there the bars they are called elevation,they r real good chocalate n caramel, there for us my dietician told me about them.

I totally didn't realize there was an Oreo discussion going on either! :oops: So I was in the store the other day, and at the end of the check out counter there was a display of Oreo's. The display had half 'original' and half was the new 'thin' ones. Right now I'm totally kind of obsessed with looking up sugar values in things since it is such a trigger for me. So I picked up both and compared the nutrition values. I was shocked! Okay, so one serving size = 3 cookies. The original cookies if eaten in serving size have 160 calories, 7 grams fat, 14 grams sugar, 2 grams protein. The 'thin' cookies had 140 calories, 6 grams fat, 12 grams sugar, and 1 gram protein. Really? Why sacrifice the yummy middle for 20 calories, 1 fat gram, 2 grams of sugar and 1 gram of protein? At least that is what my head said when I compared the two packages. Anyway, I put them both back, the sugar content being too high, but darn it for the temptation of it! This is so going to be a rough year during the holidays!
I eat elevation bars they are real good my dietician told me about them and they are cheap you get them at aldis store..

Newby here again. Well, I flunked my home sleep test just like the Pulmonologist expected. So, now into the new world of CPAP. The doctor thinks I might just need it for 2 years, if I have weight loss surgery and lose the weight I need to lose. I haven't gotten the CPAP equipment yet. Someone was supposed to contact me last week but didn't. I'm ambivalent about tracking him down because then I have to face another problem I created for myself by being so overweight. I just feel so bummed out right now with having so much difficulty getting back on track with my diet. To complicate things more, my scale is freaky. It gives me a different weight every time I step on it so I've been weighing myself 3 times and taking the average. I'm in a slump and feel like I'll never make it to the point of getting approved for surgery. o_O

Newby here again. Well, I flunked my home sleep test just like the Pulmonologist expected. So, now into the new world of CPAP. The doctor thinks I might just need it for 2 years, if I have weight loss surgery and lose the weight I need to lose. I haven't gotten the CPAP equipment yet. Someone was supposed to contact me last week but didn't. I'm ambivalent about tracking him down because then I have to face another problem I created for myself by being so overweight. I just feel so bummed out right now with having so much difficulty getting back on track with my diet. To complicate things more, my scale is freaky. It gives me a different weight every time I step on it so I've been weighing myself 3 times and taking the average. I'm in a slump and feel like I'll never make it to the point of getting approved for surgery. o_O
aww hun,your gonna do this I believe in you,and I no what you mean about scales I have 2 I have a very expensive one and a cheap one,so one reads your him and everything,the other just your weight I just weighed my self on both 1 says I weigh 221 which is the expensive one,the other says 223,,so I don't no for sure, and it is making me crazy,,and then I had to be put on another blood pressure pill,,but we are gonna make it,I will be praying for you hun,you will be in my thoughts its going to work don't give up..

11lbs is awesome! Great going! Keep up the good work! The holidays are going to be a challenge for a lot of us I think. It will be my first turkey day as well but as a post op patient. I have a feeling though that next year will be harder than this year, as I'm not able to eat many of the foods yet. I would suggest you treat the holiday as a challenge. See if you can incorporate the small portion sizes and the habit of protein first before everything else. Turkey or ham with a few veggies works great as a meal :) Also, at the first food gathering I attended I brought my own healthy desserts of yogurt bark & the no bake cookies that are basically a protein drink in dessert form. I didn't tell anyone they were healthy and they were a hit. You might try something similar. If you do end up eating a few goodies in the end, cause really pecan pie and pumpkin anything is just yummy, roll with it. Don't let one meal derail all the hard work you've put in up until now. One meal isn't going to regain you 11lbs. Jump back on the band wagon and keep working on your goal. Your doing great so far, you've got this! :D
what are the no bake cookies your talking about? that sounds so good.

I found the worst way to meet my required 26-lb pre-operative weight loss! I was stuck at the 20-lb loss mark and my weight started sliding up again. I was having trouble tracking what I was eating. Well, I had oral surgery this week and my mouth is too swollen and tender to eat! Fastest 6 lbs I ever lost. Ha!Ha! I don't recommend that anyone else do this!!! ;)

Back