• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

"Starvation Mode" after surgery???

zetetic12

I have experienced intense cold, fatigue, drowsiness and irritability when I have previously been on a low calorie diet for about five or six months -- during which time I was taking daily vitamins, extra B vitamins, and supplements. Also, I was increasingly and never-endingly hungry. After I gained back all the weight (plus additional pounds) all these very-difficult-to-endure symptoms went away. I later learned that these are typical physiological responses to severe dieting, when the body goes into starvation mode. I understand that bariatric surgery relieves hunger, but what about these other symptoms? I had no energy to exercise whatsoever, even though I was losing considerable weight. By the way, my thyroid and sugar levels are fine.

Zetetic-Everyone is different but this is my story. I was extremely fatigued for 3 months post surgery but regained my energy during month 4. My surgeon said this was normal and that the fatigue lasts from 2 to 3 months. Since I'm older (57 at the time of surgery) it took me almost the full 3 months to recover my energy. I have no irritability but was slightly depressed for a short while after surgey and found myself crying over nothing. I find myself getting cold which was never a problem before. I have flannel sheets, a blanket and a feather quilt on my bed and used them even in the summer. It's been chilly here in Michigan the last 2 weeks and I have the thermostat set at 74 degrees. Before surgery I was comfortable at 68-70 degrees. My PCP had blood work done and found no issues. My surgeon had full blood work done for my 6 month post surgical check and almost everything came back OK. My vitamin D was just a little low and ferritin (iron related) was high. This evening I was in my yard for about an hour and got so cold I had to get back in the house. It took me hours to warm up. I'll just have to bundle up better the next time. Everything considered it's a small price to pay.

I am very cold but that is easier to deal with than the alternative. I am 52 and in a wheelchair full time due to MS.
The sleeve is known to remove feelings of hunger overall, and did for me. I have to remind myself to eat so I get the protein needed to lose weight and not go into starvation mode. But "emotional" eating can trigger the want to eat vs. the need to eat.
Fatigue has not been an issue. Best decision I made - I'm at just over five months.

Hi Zetetic, Welcome. As Pat said we are all different but some things we do have in common. the fatigue/tiredness we have experienced is due to our bodies healing up from surgery and the reduced calorie intake, it takes our bodies time to get used to it but most of us are rarely hungry so not getting enough calories can cause us to plateau because our bodies go into starvation mode and our matabolism slows down so we need to find that balance of calories and protien. For most of us our energy comes back within the first three months some quicker some slower. I don't recall a lot of irratability, that may have been caused by excessive hunger which should not be a problem with WLS. I get colder now than I used to but having lost all that excess weight I don't have as much insulation as I used to, but I don't mind the cold I can just throw on another layer of cloths or blankets on the bed:eek: You will also need to take daily vitamins. Overall I am very happy with the results of surgey, I still have to watch what I eat, most of my dumping symptomes have gone away so I need to watch what I eat. I hope I was able to help you out a bit. :cool: Tom

Hello all!!! I am new here and decided to join because I need some advice. I am going on six months out from surgery, in the beginning it was great for me outside of figuring out what I could and could not eat when I was able to eat solids again. That was the hardest part for me. I do feel cold more often since I had the surgery (sleeve). But my biggest concern is now all of a sudden I am craving sweets (I am never sure what I want but I always want something) and it seems as though I stay hungry. I am afraid to eat because I am afraid of eatting too much, because I realize I can now eat more than I could when I first had the surgery. :( I never have to remind myself to eat my stomach reminds me. I wish I had to remember to eat. I go next month to the Dr again and I am afraid that I will have stopped losing weight. Any suggestions?

Hi Hopeful, Welcome. I didn't have the sleeve so I am not familliar with your eating rules but we RnY'ers have one rule that most seem to forget and it can make us hungry when we shouldn't be. It is Rule #1 Don't drink and fluid 30 minutes before and 45 minutes after a meal, it will flush the food through our pouch and we will be hungry again. Does that sound familliar? I know others with the sleeve may have more insight to what is going on. Keep hanging in there and do your best, try surgar free candy for some of those cravings. :cool: Tom

Tom, it is the same with my lapband. That was really hard for me because I do like water with lemon my meals, but I am doing OK with it. Don't like watching the clock but I do it and it does help.

hi , i am 6 years out ....i am always freezing even in the summer. i am always tired too!i have a terrible habit of doing starvation weeks where i consume nothing but water and 0 carb 0 sugar protein shakes. it does jump start weight loss , but it comes right back as soon as i start to eat again. you would think i would have learned this by now that is not the way to go....also cant stand the taste of anything anymore!

hi , i am 6 years out ....i am always freezing even in the summer. i am always tired too!i have a terrible habit of doing starvation weeks where i consume nothing but water and 0 carb 0 sugar protein shakes. it does jump start weight loss , but it comes right back as soon as i start to eat again. you would think i would have learned this by now that is not the way to go....also cant stand the taste of anything anymore!

Broyerkdb, The issue you are having with not liking the way food tastes may be due to zinc deficiency. When was the last time you had your full blood testing done? Below is a llink related to zinc deficiency, one of many available on the Internet. Since zinc is potentially toxic in high doses it's best to be under the care of a medical professional to assure the proper blood testing is done to monitor your levels. You should be able to go back to the surgeon who did your surgery and use the resources there to assist you. If not just find another bariatric nutritionist to help you.

http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/signs-of-zinc-deficiency/2011/02/10/id/385656

Hopeful, Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your weight loss! You should have a meal plan and number of calories to consume daily from the dietician. If you carefully measure and track your intake (MyFitnessPal.com is easy and convenient), you shouldn't stray from your goals.
I have not yet had my surgery, but am living like I have--not drinking with meals, measuring and journaling food intake, chewing slowly and completely. I also have given up sweets so don't crave them too much. If I find myself obsessing over something for a day or more, I go ahead and have a small amount. So far it has satisfied me and not sent me into a carb frenzy. Sugar free hard candy is also a good idea (thanks, Tom) and seems to work for sugar cravings.
Also, activity works! The other day I found myself obsessing over what to have for dinner. I wasn't hungry and it wasn't time, so it was a complete waste of brain cells. When I got home I grabbed the wire brush and hose and continued a job that I had started of prepping my house for painting. I didn't think of food for the next 2 hours and got over that "gotta have" feeling.

Wow I thought there was something wrong as I am always cold. I had a winter jacket and scarf on today and I think it reached 60 in NYC. Welcome to both of you. I am about 5 months post op. I had the sleeve done. What I am finding is that I can eat more at a meal. I still eat 3 meals a day, but dinner is a little more food. I am talking maybe 1-2 oz more. My total meal is suppose to be 4 oz. and some nights I might up the protein by an once and veg by an oz. I do feel really full and am worried that I might stretch my small stomach. I was told by my nutritionist to eat more, but she wanted me to incorportate snacks. I work and am on the go all day and don't feel hungry for anything until I get home. I am trying to figue out if the stress of the day is why I am adding more food, which is dangerous for me as I used food to reduce stress and anxiety before surgery. I am losing weight, but I am just starting to feel differently. Maybe the honeymoon period is over. No sugar cravings. I postpone eating for at least an hour or 2 when I get home. I agree with Karenina doing something to distract myself before dinner helps. Just not sure where I am emotially right now. The last 2 weeks have been so stressful at work that I have not had time to go the the gym during my lunch hour. I haven't posted much and this is my only support system. Sorry for posting in your space. Should have started a new thread. Peace.

Hi I joined because I want to do all I can to be successful in my weight loss journey. Finding a support group is high on the list of being successful, so here I am. I have yo-yo's my entire adult life, and for a few of my teen years. I have lost enough weight over the years for 6 people. But I always seem to fall back into old habits. Keeping in touch with others who have similar backgrounds or similar struggles will be my touchpoint. I plan on leaving bad habits behind, this time for good. So here I am, 4 1/2 weeks post gastric sleeve surgery. I have lost 40 pounds since surgery, and 60 since I weighed in at the Bariatric seminar last February. I still don't get hungry, but am managing to get my protein in each day, even if only in the form of a fruit smoothie or a protein shake made with non fat milk. I have tried a few soups in the blender, and soft veggies. I was beginning to think that I was alone in still fighting being tired and was happy to read others say it is normal for up to 3 months or so. I work 50-60 hours a week, so I figure that adds to it. I also seem to be cold, a lot! But after going through 2 years of hot flashes, I welcome the cold. I just dress warmer, and always have a sweater or jacket handy at work. Thankyou to everyone that contributes here. My first day and I already feel like there are others that understand and have similar stories/feelings to mine.

Welcome Candace, And I'm glad you found the forum. Congratulations on your successful surgery and weight loss! I think one thing this process gives us is time to really think about our food triggers and why we are overweight. Read everything you can about the psychology of obesity and achieving maintenance after reaching goal weight. I wish you every success, and please check back often.

Welcome, Candace,

And Congratulations on your wls and your determination to lead a healthier life. Looks like you're doing great so far!

Some additional protein might help your stamina and general energy levels. Be sure to check in with your medicos, first.

I'm glad you found your way here. It's a great place to give and receive support.

I hope you're safe and prepared for Sandy!

Hello Everyone! I am new here, just signed up 5 minutes ago. My surgery was a month ago the 9th and all went well. I lost 12 pounds the first week after surgery and then it just stopped! I have not lost or gained anything for the past 3 weeks and I'm freaking out. I called my nutritionist and she said more protein and calories, the protein I'm getting 60+ grams a day but the calories are hard when I'm full and not hungry. Any other suggestions? Has anyone else got this problem? I want to start loosing again and it's making me mad! I am eating 3, 3-4 ounce meals a day with snacks in between and nothing is working. HELP........

Back