• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stomach discomfort after eating/meds

Hey everyone. Emily here with a quick check-in and a question. I'm 10 days post-op. It was a little more intense than the doctor expected. he said my muscles are very tight and that causes more pain. So to those of you pre-op cursing your lax muscles, here's an opportunity to be grateful for that laxity!
As soon as I switched to thick protein shakes, (Premiere Protein 30g protein,) I started having stomach discomfort afterward. I don't believe I am taking in too much, in fact I am probably going too slowly with the intake. Additionally, I was cleared for some meds and also experience discomfort after taking them. I do not experience this with broth or other thin liquids. It's not pain, it's just discomfort. Has anyone else experienced this? And if so, do you have any medical knowledge to explain it?

It might just take you a while to get used to thicker liquids. Some people do have issues switching from clear to full liquids. And onto the rest of the phases. It just sits heavier in your stomach, which can lead to feeling overfull. I'm not sure about the mental fog though, so you should mention any issues you're having to your doctor. I'm sure they can figure it out.

If you aren't already doing so, keep a food diary and how you react to different foods. With meats sometimes the preparation can make a difference. Dry proteins can be hard that have been grilled or roasted. Slow cooked proteins can be easier on the stomach.

The sauces, might they be too rich, too acidic or too spicy?

I know there are some in this group that have had problems with foods and I hope they can give you some suggestions. Keep in mind that I'd something doesn't sit right now, you might be able to tolerate a month or two down the road. You are still pretty early in your journey and your stomach or pouch is still getting use to its new configuration. Remember it takes longer to heal on the inside than the outside.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to your bariatric team for advice.

Hi, Brianna. There's nothing wrong with sticking to a diet of foods you love, that don't cause nausea.

YOU have two things going on here. First, you've made a drastic change to the way your body processes food. Second, the actual mechanics of your overeating disorder are screwing with your Fatbrain.

There are many kinds of protein supplements. Find them via research.

Journaling food AND feelings can really help. Also, a lay therapist is always a good idea. What's eating at your sanity needs to come out and be conquered.

Fat isn't about food. It's about mood, how you view the world, stress, self-love or -loathing.

Please read the files in the Resource section, including mine: my post-op nutritional plan

And just for fun, here's my first post to the group.

If you aren't already doing so, keep a food diary and how you react to different foods. With meats sometimes the preparation can make a difference. Dry proteins can be hard that have been grilled or roasted. Slow cooked proteins can be easier on the stomach.

The sauces, might they be too rich, too acidic or too spicy?

I know there are some in this group that have had problems with foods and I hope they can give you some suggestions. Keep in mind that I'd something doesn't sit right now, you might be able to tolerate a month or two down the road. You are still pretty early in your journey and your stomach or pouch is still getting use to its new configuration. Remember it takes longer to heal on the inside than the outside.

Lastly, don't hesitate to reach out to your bariatric team for advice.
Hmmm, thanks for the food for thought ;). After reading the replies, I think it is my stomach acclimating. Not sure why I didn't think of that ha!

Hi, Brianna. There's nothing wrong with sticking to a diet of foods you love, that don't cause nausea.

YOU have two things going on here. First, you've made a drastic change to the way your body processes food. Second, the actual mechanics of your overeating disorder are screwing with your Fatbrain.

There are many kinds of protein supplements. Find them via research.

Journaling food AND feelings can really help. Also, a lay therapist is always a good idea. What's eating at your sanity needs to come out and be conquered.

Fat isn't about food. It's about mood, how you view the world, stress, self-love or -loathing.

Please read the files in the Resource section, including mine: my post-op nutritional plan

And just for fun, here's my first post to the group.
Great points. Thank-you.

It might just take you a while to get used to thicker liquids. Some people do have issues switching from clear to full liquids. And onto the rest of the phases. It just sits heavier in your stomach, which can lead to feeling overfull. I'm not sure about the mental fog though, so you should mention any issues you're having to your doctor. I'm sure they can figure it out.
I don't have this problem with broth, so this is likely the crux. I am unsure as to why I didn't fully realize, I just had part of my stomach removed! It's going to take time to heal and regulate.

Back