• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stopped all my vitamins because I'm an idiot lol

Lori R

I am three years post op gastric bypass. My highest weight was 241 and my lowest was 140. Today I am 167. Ugh!!! Once again, I have failed myself. I know I am supposed to take my vitamins and I don't. I also used to be so diligent in watching my protein intake and limited my carbs and sugar. I know I am supposed to do this and.... I don't. I ask myself why and I guess it's just easier to not have to think about what I am eating and easier not to worry about vitamins. I signed up for this lifestyle change and I've just let it all go.

So, I am back on track today! Going to work on getting 22lbs off. Ugh! I do have a question.... Four months after my gastric bypass in 2013, I had an emergency total hysterectomy. I wonder if the hysterectomy, me not paying attention to my protein intake and not taking vitamins would lead to me craving bad foods and ultimately my weight gain? Also been experiencing hair loss again. I need a swift kick in the butt!

It seems like everyone gains some weight back after bypass. I gained about 20 ish pounds back last fall, but got back on the ball and dropped them back off. It is supposed to be easier once you make things (like vitamins and the protein) a habit, but even those take discipline. I call myself a procrastinating perfectionist which means I have to keep on myself on a regular basis to take my vitamins and supplements. I also have to take stuff for chronic migraines and hypothyroidism. I feel like I have to take handsful of meds, vitamins and supplements!! Yuck!

Beating yourself up is of no value. Just remember that each day is an opportunity to do it right. There are enough folks that will dump crap on your head. Don't do it to you as well. Have you been tested for hypothyroidism? Hair loss is one of the indicators of that, so is mental fuzziness. As far as cravings, I don't know about that. Best of luck to you!

Hi Cheri,

Thank you so much for responding! I was diagnosed with hypothyroidism and put on meds. That too, I am no longer taking. I guess my mindset has been that now that my weight is off, I am healthy and don't need it. Not true though. I know I do. I have had my thyroid checked with being off the meds and I am borderline. I have my meds and I am going to start back with everything today. I really appreciate your time and encouragement. Great job on your weight loss!

I agree with Cheri. Everyone gains back some weight as your body adjusts. I would say your hysterectomy plays a big part; however, we are the ones who ultimately give in to our cravings - usually due to comfortable habit or stress. I have trigger foods that start up my cravings, so I try to avoid those (Little Debbie Swiss Cake Rolls among others.) I had twins less than two years after my RNY and gained back 55 lbs that have gone no where. I'm done beating myself up because I've got living to do! We just take one day at a time and do our best. Hang in there.

I am three years post op gastric bypass. My highest weight was 241 and my lowest was 140. Today I am 167. Ugh!!! Once again, I have failed myself. I know I am supposed to take my vitamins and I don't. I also used to be so diligent in watching my protein intake and limited my carbs and sugar. I know I am supposed to do this and.... I don't. I ask myself why and I guess it's just easier to not have to think about what I am eating and easier not to worry about vitamins. I signed up for this lifestyle change and I've just let it all go.

So, I am back on track today! Going to work on getting 22lbs off. Ugh! I do have a question.... Four months after my gastric bypass in 2013, I had an emergency total hysterectomy. I wonder if the hysterectomy, me not paying attention to my protein intake and not taking vitamins would lead to me craving bad foods and ultimately my weight gain? Also been experiencing hair loss again. I need a swift kick in the butt!

I am 21 post RNY, and only up about 10 pounds since my initial weight loss of 140 pounds. People, listen to me. We are not the same as other people even though we look like eveybody else, we aren't and never will be. I am now under the care of a nutritionist for being severely malnourished. I was unaware that many of the proteins and supplements I have been taking are totally not being absorbed. I have severe osteoporosis and severe anemia. This is what you are looking at dealing with if you do not do what you are supposed to do. I have been taken off gluten and milk products because my bowel will not absorb anything. I do my own b-12 shots. Eat right, take your vitamins and iron and don't forget the calcium. If you have not seen a nutritionist that specializes in bariatric surgery patients, you might want to think about it just to make sure you do everything right. When I had my surgery there was not a lot of information and much of what I was told was wrong. Stick to your plans and eat right or when you are 20 years+, like me you will be glad you did.

We have all probably been guilty of not watching or protein and vitamin intake it's been 21 years for me and I didn't realize how badly I was taking care of myself until I recently went to a nutritionist. A lot of things have changed in 21 years things that I did not know about because I didn't stay up going for regular visits with a physician or a nutritionist and now I'm suffering for it so straighten up and do what you're supposed to do.

My nutritionist at my surgeon's office told me before I had surgery that if I wanted a successful outcome over the long hall to always take my vitamins, calcium and minerals every day for the rest of my life. She said many people who stop, will end up in the hospital and do severe damage to their bodies. I have followed these instructions to the letter and feel great!

My nutritionist at my surgeon's office told me before I had surgery that if I wanted a successful outcome over the long hall to always take my vitamins, calcium and minerals every day for the rest of my life. She said many people who stop, will end up in the hospital and do severe damage to their bodies. I have followed these instructions to the letter and feel great!

I believe it! I getting ready to start again and go back to the doctor. I didn't make regular trips to the nutritionist. I will be making plans to go to the next one. But what minerals are you talking about? I'm going for my B12 shot this weekend and will be buying the pills and the calcium too. Just wasn't familiar with minerals.

Back