• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

stretching the pouch

mdhenry

This question is mostly for the veterans of the sleeve. How easy/hard is it to stretch the sleeve. So far I'm not having any trouble as I'm still at the liquid/pureed stage. But I'm concerned because I don't want to stretch it. Any comments would be appreciated.

This question is mostly for the veterans of the sleeve. How easy/hard is it to stretch the sleeve. So far I'm not having any trouble as I'm still at the liquid/pureed stage. But I'm concerned because I don't want to stretch it. Any comments would be appreciated.

Hello.

Whether you had the sleeve or the gastric bypass the tummy will stretch over time. It should. However, what you don't want to happen is for it to go back to the original oversized huge tummy that you once had.

Initially I could only have one egg as a breakfast.

Now I can have two eggs and a slice of toast. That is a whole lot more than one egg, but it is reasonable.

If I have a second piece of toast with the 2 eggs, I find that I am pushing my limit. So, my tummy has stretched but is still small compared to where I was before surgery.

A certain amount of stretching is to be expected and that is OK. Afterall, you do want to have a reasonably sized meal as you progress.

The days of me having a huge plate of pasta are GONE GONE GONE.

Or sitting down and consuming a 12 ounce steak; FORGET ABOUT IT!

My protein portion of meat or whatever rarely exceeds 3 ounces now let alone considering 12 ounces.

So, I hope I have given you some perspective.

The joy I still have is I am never hungry. I really hope that stays that way. Many folks say hunger does come back.

Just remember to make sure you get your required protein in each day. This sates any hunger issues that may pop up in the future for you.

Ralph

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

I was really careful not to stretch my tummy out for the first 6 months I didn't eat more than 2 oz at a time because my surgeon told me that was the size of my new tummy. By 12 months I was probably eating about 1/2 cup (4oz) at a time because that was the amount I was supposed to work up to.

Now at 20 months I can eat a small meal but I still am really careful not to over stretch my stomach because I do think that is the key to this surgery being long term successful. The body won't feel hungry if your small tummy is full and I don't want to go back to a large stretched out tummy being full.

So many of us who ate too much before surgery ate because it tasted delicious, it was comforting, food made us feel good, food was our friend. I myself was a happy eater, it was what our family did for recreation. Everything we did revolved around food. Yes you will want to stretch it out somewhat but do it very gradually and not much the first few months while you are getting used to your new way of eating and while you will be losing the most weight.

Good Luck,

Cheyenne :cool:

thanks for the info. Can water stretch your stomach?

My surgeon told me the first day after surgery to sip, sip, sip because guzzling down water in large amounts would stretch my new sized stomach. He said to drink a lot but only in small amounts at a time.

Cheyenne

I am now 3 days post op of the sleeve. Doing ok still alot of air/ gas but I am walking around the house alot. My surgeon told me to drink 1 oz of fluid/ 15 minutes to sip definately no gulping. I am trying to get my protein in via supplements. He still wanted me to stay on liquid thin anything for the next 2 weeks. I am trying to add the unflavored protein supplement to soup, what is the way to do that so it doesnt gell up? Thanks for any insight. I am taking one day at a time and I know that my surgery was a good success and a new start for the rest of my life.

For me I found Premier Protein Shakes were fine and tasty.

Alas, this is a personal choice. There are so many liquid protein shakes/drinks out there today. I would hope you can find one or two that you like.

The advantage is you get in your required protein and also required liquids. It doesn't have to be just water, which I find right up to today, is difficult. So I drink water, protein shakes when needed, milk 2% but I think most Doctors recommend skim, etc., etc.

I also enjoy Isopure grape drink. Now, either you will like this or hate this. There seems to be no in between from what I have read and listened to many of my bariatric friends.

Hope I have helped. As to protein powders I have never used them. Sorry.

I should try actually.

Ralph

Thanks Ralph,

I do enjoy the premier protein I alternate with vanilla, chocolate and strawberry cream, 1 oz at a time per my surgeon. Found this one protein that is good for baking and shakes so I thought will mix better because there is no soy in it. Then name is Quest Protein powder multipurpose mix. It has recipes and things to make also it 1 carb found it at the vitamin shop unflavored. Also I tried the proti diet grape concentrated drink grape flavored is awesome has 15g of protein just add it to water keep cold very tasty < 2 carbs from bariatric advantage.com . Also found geek whips by yoplait 100 calories , 9g of protein, 15 carbs . Thanks for all the info it is great and helps!!

Janine

I am now 3 days post op of the sleeve. Doing ok still alot of air/ gas but I am walking around the house alot. My surgeon told me to drink 1 oz of fluid/ 15 minutes to sip definately no gulping. I am trying to get my protein in via supplements. He still wanted me to stay on liquid thin anything for the next 2 weeks. I am trying to add the unflavored protein supplement to soup, what is the way tt 2 weeks o do that so it doesnt gell up? Thanks for any insight. I am taking one day at a time and I know that my surgery was a good success and a new start for the rest of my life.

CONGRATULATIONS SUNILIPS ON YOUR SURGERY!!! You are on your way to your new healthier life!

Liquids are very important for the first 2 wks so your tummy can heal properly. One tip.. flavored yogurts go down very easy like a liquid and taste delicious.. BUT.. they will sabotage your weight loss if you eat more than one a day.

Best of Luck

Cheyenne :cool:

Back