• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Stretching your pouch out after gastric bypass

Dani

Hi I'm new here but I have a really important question I'm 2 months post surgery and I'm so worried I've stretched my pouch out already. I have trouble taking in all the protein I need so I tend to feel hungry when I shouldn't be and there have been several timmes I've eaten the wrong things and too much of something. Do you think I've stretched my pouch out already??

Hi Dani, welcome to the forum. I really don't think you stretched your pouch. You would have to do a LOT of overeating in order to stretch it out in 2 months. If you are showing a weight loss, if you do not vomit or have dumping syndrome often, if you are not drinking carbonated beverages then you are most likely OK. Just because you are feeling hungry doesn't mean your pouch is stretched out. It could be because you are not eating enough or because the food you are eating has too much liquid and is passing through your pouch too fast. Drinking fluids before, after or during meals will do the same thing.

Hi Dani, Welcome. Pat is right it takes a lot to stretch out your pouch, and it would take a lot of eating until you are so uncomfotable that you you would feel misserable all the time. One thing to remember which is tough to do but don't drink any fluids at a minimum 45 minutes before your meal and an hour after your meal or your food will pass through you making you feel hungry again and your body wont be able to absorb any protien. The protien will also help you feel full longer. Start keeping a food log to track protien and calories, your nutritionist should have given you some guidelines to follow for a minimum amount calories/protien a day to help you out for meal plans. If you didn't get any directions like that please call up your nutritionist and get some guidelines, that will help you out a great deal. :cool: Tom

Back