• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Struggling

Nisey

I've been on the Liquid Diet for going on 5 days. I'm on it for 2 weeks. I want food so bad. I'm trying to tell myself I'm doing this for the surgery. Please someone give me more good reasons. I'm so sick of Protein shakes already. I drink 3 a day. I use different recipes. I just really want food. Please someone motivate me. HELP!

Nisey==I so feel your pain==remember==I go in the day before you do! We are both going to do great! The reason they have you diet a few weeks is to decrease the size of your stomach and liver so there is less chance of injuring or nicking anything when they go in with the laparoscope. Big reason to follow the diet=we dont want that to happen!! Boy--the preop diet seems kind of hard though doesnt it? I am hanging in there but I have had a few tiny minor cheats. I had my call from the pharmacist and preadmissions today so I guess this is really going to happen. I am both excited and scared.

Dee

Hi dee, we can do this, I got through my Pizza craving, lol. Now I'm craving Mexican food, oh man, lol I can't get a break, hahahahaha. I'm gonna do this. I'm so driven' right now. I'm so proud of you sweetie. Stick to it. No more cheating. I have chicken broth and beef bouillon to offset all the sweet stuff that we have to drink. It really helps. I crave salty foods. So you're almost ready to go, that's great. I'm not looking forward to bowel prep day, lol. I'll be so glad when we can eat food again. I'm waiting for that day. Write back soon and best of luck dee.

Nisey==Yes its getting closer and closer for both of us! The closer it gets the more scared I am!! I will for sure keep in touch with you though because we are having our surgeries so close together. We can be recovery buddies too then! I need support thats for sure! I hope it doesnt hurt too much. I have a really high pain tolerance and I get terribly itchy from every narcotic there is so it is always my goal to STOP the pain meds. I seem to do my cheats in the evening when my stress level is so darn high after work. We are very overloaded and i am supposed to work 8 h a day but many days end up working 12! That is too much. I also am not too good at exercising. I have good intentions but then life gets the best of me and I dont carry it out. Does that ever happen to you too? Ha==Pizza and Mexican..... My faves too. Yes it will be good to have real food again. I bought a little plate that had pictures of the amts of food you are supposed to eat. It isnt much!! But to be thin==It sure would be worth it. Hope your day goes well!

Dee

Nisey==I will try the boullion for the salt cravings. I dont usually like much salt but this liquid diet has me all screwed up! You are so right==we can do this! We just have to rely on eachother and all the great people who on this board do posts and have so much more experience. I am very proud of you too. We are doing this so we can be healthier and happier and participate better in life doing things we love. It cant do anything but make us better! You are just the sweetest lady and have such a great attitude. I am so glad we can go through this together. ha ha Bowel prep day... Now I will be thinking of that today... Think of me on Monday---you know where I will be-in the bathroom!! Do you have to do a Mag Citrate prep or a Miralax prep? My doctor wants me to do Mag Citrate.

Dee

Hi dee, I have to do a Mag citrate prep. I got the Lemon flavor. It says on my paper to take it with Gatorade or Juice to help it go down easier. I'll get some Gatorade. I'll be thinking of you. I hope there's not too much pain either. I can't take a lot of pain. I don't like to exercise either but we have to remember that it's a part of this whole thing, right? A big part. After I heal from the surgery, I will be join the gym that we have across the street from our house. Convenient huh? Lol. I have severe Osteoarthritis in my knees. I tried to join that gym years ago then my knees got bad and I stopped going. I never realized if I had gone to the gym it would have made my knees better.

Hi dee, anyway, we're going to get this done, bowel prep and all, lol and you and I are going to make our lives much better in the long run. My son is doing the liquid diet with me. He is 30 years old. He asked me what I was doing. He's so sweet. He said he was inspired by me to lose weight. I told him don't do it for very long because it messes with your brain, lol. He said, "don't worry Mom, I can handle it." Lol. Ok dee. You take care and I'll talk with you soon. Good luck on everything. Do the best you can. No cheating and try to do your exercising, okay? :)

Hi Nisey and Dee!

Good luck to you both on your soon to be journey to a healthier you. The time is clicking by very fast and will be here before you know it! Exciting isn't it?!!!

Cheyenne:cool:

Hi Cheyenne, Thank you. Yes, the time is going very fast. One more week from today and I'll have my surgery. I'm very nervous and excited. This liquid diet is real gross. I'm so sick of protein shakes. I know I have to drink them but man, I'm really sick of them. I think I might at least get a little break from them after my surgery, right? sometimes they make me feel nauseous. Anyway, lol. Thank you for the encouragement. Talk to you soon. :)

Nisey==You are right--we are going to get this DONE!! I have flavored my protein shakes with some coffee powder. Coffee is one thing I just cant give up. I am pretty much a nonfunctional person without it!! I was going to try some sugar free jello powder in my vanilla shakes tomorrow to change things up a bit. I will have to tell you how that goes. I didnt get all my water in today. First day I havent really. Work kind of interfered. It was psycho busy. Oh how I will relish 2 weeks off!! It is so nice that your son is going to do some liquid dieting with you! I actually bought all the bariatric foods and went on it without cheating for 6 months and lost 40 pounds. I slowly frittered it back on again -darn it. I just need to learn new things to do to make this new lifestyle work for me. I didnt exercise today. Did you? Cheyenne is so helpful with all of this too. She knows so much! Maybe someday we will be able to look back at this and help others too. I hope so. I just know we are going to be successful!

Dee

Hi dee, I find myself not exercising very much. I do move around a lot during the day. I workout a little bit. I'm up half the night with restless legs so I'm constantly exercising my legs then. Coffee powder will be good. It will taste like a Mocha. Cheyenne is great and very knowledgeable. She has helped me a lot. Let me know how the Jello powder is. I saw that in a couple of recipes today. Sounds like it would be super sweet. I don't know, it might be really good, lol. You can use sugar free pudding too, I think. I'm anxious to get this over with, lol. Aren't you?

Nisey=I wish I could move around more during the day. I sit at a desk for sometimes 12 hours a day for work. I work from home so it is insane and I can never get away from it. :-( I have restless legs too. I take a Requip when it gets really bad. That helps. The coffee powder does help. I only use a half teaspoon or so. This am I tried just a quarter teaspoon of strawberry jello powder in a vanilla shake and it did spruce it up a bit. I also tried a shake of cinnamon in one last night-that wasnt too bad either. I am going to experiment more with this I think! Oh boy am I ready to have this be over with! I sure appreciate all the helpful hints from you and Cheyenne. Tomorrow is payday==something I hugely look forward to! I am going to stock up on broth and sugar free Kool Aid and get all my chewable vitamins and all that. I am making a list and have also added on some stretch pants like Cheyenne suggested for the hospital. Talk to you later Okay?

Dee

Good luck to you both. Next week is my 6 mos post op and everyday is still a struggle to set my mind to the right dial. I never use salt either don't like flavor. However since surgery I have to try to consume more because it helps with dehydration which is a continuous problem for me even when drinking 50-60 oz a day. Before surgery I would avg 80 oz so 50 is definitely a big drop in my system. And I was also told the salt is needed to help the healing.

Good luck to you both. Next week is my 6 mos post op and everyday is still a struggle to set my mind to the right dial. I never use salt either don't like flavor. However since surgery I have to try to consume more because it helps with dehydration which is a continuous problem for me even when drinking 50-60 oz a day. Before surgery I would avg 80 oz so 50 is definitely a big drop in my system. And I was also told the salt is needed to help the healing.

I have Congestive Heart Failure caused by a Pulmonary Embolism from when I had from pneumonia. I am very sensitive to salt and my feet swell really bad when I eat ham or any salty or processed foods. My surgeon wanted me to eat broth after my bariatric surgery and I tried but swelled up really bad til I discovered low sodium broth. Something my doctor thought was a good idea was V8 juice once a day. It's about 50 calories a glass, full of vitamins and I love it but again a lot of sodium which just doesn't work well for me. Some of you won't have a problem with sodium but some of you will.

Many of you don't care too much for the protein shakes. My surgeon wasn't a big fan of too many shakes after surgery he said a lot of his patients would drink the shakes and eat meals too.. too many calories and he stops his patients from having shakes all together after 3 months post surgery. He said he would rather his patients eat healthy meals. Now this is just my surgeon's opinion.. many people on this Forum are drinking protein shakes years after their surgery and doing it successfully. I only want to say that many roads lead to Rome. If you are having trouble stomaching your shakes then there are other alternatives.

Cheyenne:cool:

Hi dee, well, I'm tying up loose ends over here. I just ordered a nightgown from Amazon.com. I have a robe already. My hubby went and got me some beef broth and Jello today. I already have chicken broth. We also have beef bouillon cubes if I want to have that instead. I have my ice trays for freezing my portions. I can't wait to eat puréed food because I want to find some yummy recipes to purée, lol. That are good for us, of course. :) I'm looking forward to eating normal food. I got my arrival time for the hospital on the 24th. They called me this morning and the anesthesia nurse emailed me too. I guess this is really happening. Good luck sweetie. I'll be thinking of you.

Hi MLE, thank you, I can't wait to get it over and done with. I want to get on with my life. I have lots of chicken and beef broth to get me through the beginning of the healing process. I'm scared and excited too. I don't want to go through the pain. But I guess in this case no pain, no loss, lol. That's really good to know about the salt intake. I didn't know it helps you heal. I'm so nauseous from all the protein shakes. I can't stand them anymore. There foamy and gross when I shake them up. Talk soon

About the salt issue=I too have a problem with retaining fluid for the past 2 years or so. It seems to have come on along with the obesity. I will have to be very careful and see if I can tolerate the salted products post op. Thanks for making me think of that :)

Nisey=I am going tomorrow to get a robe and some PJs for the hospital. Because I used to work where I am having surgery--I will have a LOT of company once the nursing supervisor finds out I am there and notifies all my old buddies--the doctors and nurses where I was an ICU and ER nurse for many years. It will be nice to see all those people. Gotta look my best so they dont think I completely went to crap dontcha think?? he he.

I hope if some people have great recipes for Pureed food===Chime in will you??? Nisey and I need some help here!! Any great recipes will be appreciated. Yes--Cheyenne==It will be so very excellent to be able to eat real food again. Dreaming of food at night.... Sheesh. I am going to really miss my 4th of July cake. :-( It will be far too soon for that.

Well Nisey--I go in at 8:00 am on 6-23-2015. I might be out of commission for a few days after and will post once I get home as to how it all went. Nisey-check your inbox. I sent you a private message.

I feel OK right now Nisey--but I know I will freak out the night before surgery. I am hoping I wont have too much problem with them getting my IV in. Sheesh. I have had a LOT of surgery and I usually tell them to get the anesthesia doc right away. Funny==getting IVs in was my Forte back in the day. Not enough hands to start my own though!! he he. I have really deep veins ( under the flubber somewhere)!!!

How are you feeling about things so far? Are you pretty relaxed about it all?

My dietician said we can eat Malto Meal or Cream of Rice after we can do full liquids and Puree. Does anybody who has had surgery know if that has too many carbs? I was kind of worried about that. I want to avoid any dumping syndrome. Is this pretty well tolerated? I actually LIKE malto meal and cream of rice. My husband thinks I am a freak because I DO. He he! Dietician also said FF cream of Chicken soup is OK too so I am going to get some of that tomorrow.

Well Here we are!! Our final weekend of being pre GB. Whew-Time went so fast!

Thanks everyone for the support!!!

Dee

My dr and dietician were not concerned about the carb part for the first few weeks after surgery. The primary goal was to stay hydrated.

Yes--I think the hydration part is huge. It is probably more important than foods taken in in that immediate postop part of recovery. I am getting some 64 oz fridge containers for my water. I like to flavor my water with a teabag. I stick one in at bedtime and in the AM I have pretty and tasty water. I love the Celestial Seasonings Tangerine-Orange ones and several others I cant think of right now. They are decaf but taste really good. I have been putting 1 teabag in a power ade plastic bottle. 2 of those a day gets in the water requirement. I will keep sipping after surgery. Have to remember not to gulp.

Thanks for the helpful comments you have been leaving!

Dee

Nisey==Well I am all shopped out. Went with my best friend and got some last minute items I needed and I think I am all ready. My surgery is at 8am on Tuesday am!! What time is yours on Wednesday? I will be thinking of you. Check your Inbox on this site. I sent you a private email. Hopefully I did it right and it came through OK!! I guess I am ready to go!!! How are you doing???

Dee

Back