• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Success & Setbacks

Time4me123

Hey y’all.
Hope all of you are doing phenomenally on your journeys whether they be those early, early research phases or anxiously awaiting an upcoming procedure - or even those seeking support and a shoulder post op & beyond.

Had my vertical sleeve gastrectomy earlier this month on August 10th in which I got a bonus (I say that jokingly) operation - guess it was the 2 for 1 special that day - at any rate - my surgeon discovered a big, bad m monster if a hiatal hernia present in which who knows how long it was lurking around. So, an extra surgery equals a little extra recovery, of course.

Gotta say, overall, things have been going pretty darn great, got past the hump of that doozy of a first week - 10 or so days post op, followed everything to a T, got my little burst of energy for short walks the week after, fluid intake was a breeze, then got cleared for phase 3 foods (woohoo!)

My incisions all are healing remarkably, my weight loss has been mind blowing (I’m 5’9” and was 251.8 when I began my journey end of Feb, lost my 15 and then some lbs, weighed in at 232.6 the day of surgery on 8/10 and am sitting pretty currently at 212.0, which is -20.6lbs in 3 wks today! It’s been incredible & I’m just so grateful for newfound enthusiasm & self pride!

Now, for the proverbial RECORD SKIP ***

Had a really weird and completely bizarro moment while with my grown kiddo in the store just a couple hrs ago - got a sudden case of the dreaded “foamies” outta nowhere while shopping followed instantly by the feeling I was going to gasp toss my cookies right then and there and wasn’t a dang darn thing in the world I could do to stop it. Mind you, I haven’t had any issues with nausea except the first few days post op which is to be expected & I’ve been taking my Pepcid each night religiosity. So, what the heck was up?! I proceeded very cautiously to the counter with my daughter bc we had only 4 items and my stubborn self wanted to pay and be gone asap, it got worse at the counter and I felt a huge lump gathering in the base of my throat and I could barely talk. Everyone noticed. Managed to make it out without my stomach contents still in place to begin feeling wiped out. Like literally.

Got home, kiddo insisted I lay down, I tried, however, those funky freaking foamies returned with a vengeance- a few moments later, the worst thing I had been worried over happened- I puked up an entire Premier. I was so worried and have been taking what I thought was such good care of myself, followed my surgeons instructions daily, and then this. WTFoamies!!!

I immediately called my surgeon’s office and spoke with the bari RN who triaged me and determined it best I move back - to stage 2 - that in her opinion, my new tummy plus the hiatal hernia surgery must’ve been having some trouble processing level 3. So, I will be doing this the next couple days - she instructed me to check in tomorrow to see how things are coming along and I needed, my return to work could be pushed back for my safety.

Sometimes when things seem dandy, something could be looming - be sure to listen to your body and know when anything feels off or out of the norm & notify your team right away.

Am I bummed for having to bump back a notch to level 2? Sure as heck am, but, I’d way rather play it safe.

Our bodies are such smart machines. Don’t be too discouraged if minor setbacks come your way - it only sets us up for success in the future!!

Just wanted to share - thanks for all who took the time to read this in its entirety!

Love and Light!

@Roni - thanks for the reassurance and reminders I did all I could and should’ve done in this scenario! It’s amazing to have amazing humans such as yourself there for uplifting words and advice when those rough patches hit, I truly appreciate you & wish you every success along your journey!! Such a reminder that each of our journeys though similar in design, can take little detours along the path of healing.

All my very bestest to you!

Hey y’all.
Hope all of you are doing phenomenally on your journeys whether they be those early, early research phases or anxiously awaiting an upcoming procedure - or even those seeking support and a shoulder post op & beyond.

Had my vertical sleeve gastrectomy earlier this month on August 10th in which I got a bonus (I say that jokingly) operation - guess it was the 2 for 1 special that day - at any rate - my surgeon discovered a big, bad m monster if a hiatal hernia present in which who knows how long it was lurking around. So, an extra surgery equals a little extra recovery, of course.

Gotta say, overall, things have been going pretty darn great, got past the hump of that doozy of a first week - 10 or so days post op, followed everything to a T, got my little burst of energy for short walks the week after, fluid intake was a breeze, then got cleared for phase 3 foods (woohoo!)

My incisions all are healing remarkably, my weight loss has been mind blowing (I’m 5’9” and was 251.8 when I began my journey end of Feb, lost my 15 and then some lbs, weighed in at 232.6 the day of surgery on 8/10 and am sitting pretty currently at 212.0, which is -20.6lbs in 3 wks today! It’s been incredible & I’m just so grateful for newfound enthusiasm & self pride!

Now, for the proverbial RECORD SKIP ***

Had a really weird and completely bizarro moment while with my grown kiddo in the store just a couple hrs ago - got a sudden case of the dreaded “foamies” outta nowhere while shopping followed instantly by the feeling I was going to gasp toss my cookies right then and there and wasn’t a dang darn thing in the world I could do to stop it. Mind you, I haven’t had any issues with nausea except the first few days post op which is to be expected & I’ve been taking my Pepcid each night religiosity. So, what the heck was up?! I proceeded very cautiously to the counter with my daughter bc we had only 4 items and my stubborn self wanted to pay and be gone asap, it got worse at the counter and I felt a huge lump gathering in the base of my throat and I could barely talk. Everyone noticed. Managed to make it out without my stomach contents still in place to begin feeling wiped out. Like literally.

Got home, kiddo insisted I lay down, I tried, however, those funky freaking foamies returned with a vengeance- a few moments later, the worst thing I had been worried over happened- I puked up an entire Premier. I was so worried and have been taking what I thought was such good care of myself, followed my surgeons instructions daily, and then this. WTFoamies!!!

I immediately called my surgeon’s office and spoke with the bari RN who triaged me and determined it best I move back - to stage 2 - that in her opinion, my new tummy plus the hiatal hernia surgery must’ve been having some trouble processing level 3. So, I will be doing this the next couple days - she instructed me to check in tomorrow to see how things are coming along and I needed, my return to work could be pushed back for my safety.

Sometimes when things seem dandy, something could be looming - be sure to listen to your body and know when anything feels off or out of the norm & notify your team right away.

Am I bummed for having to bump back a notch to level 2? Sure as heck am, but, I’d way rather play it safe.

Our bodies are such smart machines. Don’t be too discouraged if minor setbacks come your way - it only sets us up for success in the future!!

Just wanted to share - thanks for all who took the time to read this in its entirety!

Love and Light!
Wow! Bless your heart! That's quite the reaction. I'm so glad your kid was with you and so glad you called your surgeon's office. I hope you continue to get better and better!

Back