• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Sugar Free Kettle Corn

Fosgate

Yeah it may not be the greatest for me. I typically have it when I need both fiber and to satisfy my sweet tooth if the wife and I are curled up for a movie.

Ingredients
  • Popcorn Kernels- ½ cup
  • Oil- such as coconut vegetable or peanut oil- ¼ cup
  • Sugar alternative- ⅓ cup equivalent to sugar. Granular such as Splenda works best.
  • Kosher Salt-¼ teaspoon

Instructions
  1. In a large pot set on medium heat, place your oil along with two kernels of the popcorn. Caution: Be sure to wear protective covering as when the popcorn kernels pop, it will most likely pop out of the pot.
  2. When the two popcorn kernels pop, add your remaining kernels, sugar alternative and salt to the pot.
  3. Cover the pot with a lid and give it a quick shake from side to side.
  4. While the popcorn is heating up, make sure that you have a large bowl nearby as you will quickly need to pour the popcorn into it. also, you will need to use pot holders or mitts as you shake the popcorn and move the pot.
  5. Shake your popcorn pot from side to side every minute and a half to two minutes.
  6. Once it starts to pop consistently and sounds like the pot is half full, you can remove the pot from the heat or turn the heat off.
  7. Continue to shake the pot back and forth to avoid burning the popcorn.
  8. When the popcorn reaches the top of the pot, use a pot holder to remove the lid- do not stand over the pot as the popcorn will still be popping most likely. As a result of removing the lid, the popping kernel can jump out of the pot. Dump the popcorn into the large bowl. Remember, the pot will be hot so take precautions.

I love me some popcorn!! I add a dribble of balsamic to my butter and then sprinkle with everything bagel seasoning and Pecorino Romano.

You sold me at Pecorino Romano. I wonder if parmigiano reggiano would be decent also. I normally stock that cheese. I rarely use Pecorino Romano except for Spaghetti Alla Carbonara. But I rarely make that anymore. I use Parmigiano Reggiano for my knock off New Haven, New York cracker crust style pizza's (or apizza) since thin crust with high quality ingredients is still right up my alley.

Also brings up a question. Anyone who has a drop on a good Milwakee (Cracker thin crust) style recipe feel free to drop that off. 20 years ago I stopped by Wells Bros in Racine WI and I can still taste that pizza. Seeing Portnoys video review brought it all back how much I liked that pizza.

Wells Brothers Pizza Review

If anyone cares, I'm finding this thread very triggering. I don't see the point of it. This isn't a recipe group. This is a group for people who are recovering from having bariatric surgery. I've certainly posted recipes here in my day, but reading this lengthy thread, I'm starting to think I might have triggered some poor newcomer who maybe never came back.

Aside from that, I've been meaning to suggest people read the group guidelines, which are clearly posted on our group's home page. Many of us are way off track, and probably don't even know we have guidelines. I hope you--and I--will read them again.

I hope you'll understand what I'm saying and that I'm using the right tone. I'm not feeling well mentally right now but I feel I need to stay connected to my support groups. And I'm really struggling right now.

If anyone cares, I'm finding this thread very triggering. I don't see the point of it. This isn't a recipe group. This is a group for people who are recovering from having bariatric surgery. I've certainly posted recipes here in my day, but reading this lengthy thread, I'm starting to think I might have triggered some poor newcomer who maybe never came back.

Aside from that, I've been meaning to suggest people read the group guidelines, which are clearly posted on our group's home page. Many of us are way off track, and probably don't even know we have guidelines. I hope you--and I--will read them again.

I hope you'll understand what I'm saying and that I'm using the right tone. I'm not feeling well mentally right now but I feel I need to stay connected to my support groups. And I'm really struggling right now.

I guess I and some others are in a different battle than some people here. I did not have a common sleeve procedure. My struggle is to eat enough food to not keep losing weight and get the proper nutrients in the process without triggering dumping syndrome and goes down easy and digests easy. (Typical when both Duodenal Switch with Roux en Y procedure or either or). I don't absorb nutrients very well. So far I am still losing the battle and have not leveled out and am under weight. I don't have access to all the trendy food stores like Whole Foods, Trader Joes etc that carry every ingredient one could want. Not that a lot of that stuff has the calories I need and found many of the "all natural" ingredients trigger my gut (Digestive fermentable (beans, broccoli, asparagus, onion....), agave, stevia, monk fruit, alcohol sugars, certain fruit, veggies and grains etc). Sorry your having a rough week.

Sorry, Fosgate. I didn't intend for you to take it like that. I've just been here a really long time and it seems a lot of people have left the group who used to be very engaging and helpful about the surgery itself, and lately when I open this group (which is literally a life saver for me), I just see so many recipes, and they are very triggering for me. Also, they don't generally contain the support I crave and have always enjoyed from the people here, no matter where they are on their journey.

As to the guidelines, I really do believe people should read them before they post. That used to be standard procedure back in the early days of newsgroups. Guidelines help a group be self-governing and no one has to be the bad guy and point out any irregularities. And I admit, I'm one of the worst ones here when it comes to being "on topic" all the time. I hope my own need for community hasn't stood in anyone else's way if they needed to share but somehow I wrote something distracting.

Please forgive me.

p.s. We do have a Recipes forum:

Back