• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Supervised Diet For Health Insurance?

KristenJH

Do all of the Health Insurances make people do a 6 month supervised diet prior to having Bariatric surgery ? I have heard about things like that.

Mine did but they also counted Weight Watchers. However, I think most have to be "medically supervised."

My insurance did not require anything except co=morbidities. Then they were good to go with the surgery. Of course, I have tri-care (military retired), which is the best you can have.

Medicare requires a minimum of 3 co-morbidies and evidence of a medically supervised diet. According to the coordinator that my WLS surgeon assigned to me the evidence for the supervised diet can be as simple as notes from the primary care doctor showing that weight and/or dieting was discussed during office visits over a 6 month time period. They will not accept Weight Watchers as dieting evidence. My previous insurance excluded WLS no matter what, even with multiple letters of medical necessity over a 3 year time period from the doc. It's crazy sometimes.

I JUST WANT TO MENTION TO EVERYONE THAT KEVIN HAS MADE US A NICE CHAT ROOM. PLEASE STOP IN THE CHAT ROOM WHEN YOU VISIT THE FORUMS SO WE CAN ALL GET TO KNOW EACH OTHER BETTER.

Last edited:
It really depends on your insurance carrier. I had to switch plans and jump through a bunch of hoops.. Too many to go into detail. I am fortunate that my surgeon has a great person that works with insurance companies. I had to file a complaint with my employer. The human resources people put pressure on the insurance company. Fortunately, I work for a large organization and the insurance company wants to keep the account.

I had to have 6 months of diet counseling, along with a bunch of other testing. I was really pissed about having to have 6 months of the surpervised diet, but I would not have had the success that I have had with out it. Plus, it gave me time to get weaned off of soda, I used to drink 2 to 4 LITERS of Pepsi a day and I had to quit smoking before my surgeon would do surgery. I had no comprehension of how little I would actually eat post surgery and my counselor was great.

I went through 7 months of diet counseling before my lap band procedure. I didn't like it at first, but was more prepared after the procedure for eating.

I just went threw this with Priority Health insurance wanted 6 months under medical care, and only threw certain programs/doctors which I don't get. Anyway i just switched my insurance to Blue Cross Blue Shielf, ( my job offers both) I just started my journey, and doctor said they are also trying to change there for a 6 month waiting period, just praying I got in before it has happened. she was not sure what date they were starting but it will be this year

I only have a 3 month wait. I have had several appointments, and I have a one on one with the nutritionist and a nutrition class next Tuesday. I am also hoping to attend their monthly support group on Wed night. My insurance is great, and my pcp has been really great about getting me all the necessary appointments.

Back