• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

support for people who are to thin

15 months out and so thin I look like bones. I dont want to eat and scared. any help:(

I am so sorry you are having problems. All I can tell you is that this weight loss journey we are all on should be designed for us to be healthy. Not too fat and not too thin. I would suggest thinking back to a previous time when you were in good weight and feeling good. Strive for that weight. Take your vitamins every day and plan your meals, meaure them out if you have a fear of overeating. Protein, (chicken, fish etc) or even protein drinks, vegetables, and fruit. If you don't eat enough protein then your body breaks down your muscles in your body to get that protein including your heart muscle. You have worked too hard to lose your weight so you can have a new, better, healthier life to have this end badly. Remember that as long as you eat healthy meals, not junk food, you will never be fat again.

Good Luck

Cheyenne

Let me welcome you to the forum...I have noticed that you did not tell your past, present, or desired weight. Thats ok because only you know what is too thin for you. I use to say that you can never be too thin or too rich, but I have to retract that statement because its based on ones own perception of self. Take a good look in the mirror and thank God for life and living first, second ask what can YOU do to change your perception of self, third act. Gaining weight after you have achieve your goal is very frightning and this may be the reason you have not been able to maintain your desired weight. The mind plays tricks if we allow it. Without over indulging I agree with Cheyenne back to basics, increase your protein shake by one ans see if that makes a difference.

Seek help, eating disorders after you lose the weight are just as severe as before. Get into some counseling, go to support groups, talk to your nutritionist. Do not just accept that this is how things are now. Again seek some professional help.

Wow!

You have received so many kind and constructive responses.

I will add one: DON'T DO THIS ALONE !!!

We are all happy you came to the forum.

Seek out your surgeon's team; especially the psychologist and the nutritionist and get help.

It has all been said above.

It has been well said above!

Talk to us. Tell us all about yourself. Tell us all the good things you are now enjoying. Tell us positive things. Then before you know it, you will be feeling so much better about yourself. You say too thin. Tell us your current weight and calculate your BMI again. Does it fall into the recommended levels of normal weight?

Be well. Be positive. Work at it.

To have come so far and now have these adverse feelings of being too thin isn't where you should be.

Let us all help.

Ralph

WOW!! I wish that I had found this forum 2 years ago when I was in your shoes!! Support for being too thin was absent from the forum that I was heavily into before. I finally had to leave because of it. I am now a normal weight after having to gain 25 pounds. I found myself at 95 pounds and looking like a skeleton. It was awful, I hated looking in the mirror because I looked so frightful. At Christmas 2 years ago I bought a size 0 pair of slacks that I had to hold up with a belt.

OK, enough about me..... Here is what I did; I started adding full fat dairy products. I started with whole milk and then cheese. (LOL, at this point I found out that I had become lactose intolerant and had to use Lactaid to accomplish this simple addition to my diet.) I also have Reactive Hypoglycemia so I have to watch the carbs and sugar in my diet so eating health is important for that reason too! Once I found those things helpful but boring, I made sugar free pudding with whole milk. It's a nice slider food that didn't make me feel full but added much needed calories without the bulk. I won't lie, it wasn't easy to do this. It took me over 18 months to gain 25 pounds but it was worth it!! I'm now in a size 4/6 and maintaining. If I fall below my magic number of 120, I add the same dairy products until I'm back to (or slightly above) that number.

I am now 5 1/2 year out from surgery and know that I am not normal (haha, in more ways than one) having to watch my diet so that I don't lose too much, but that's the way it is. You had this surgery to be healthy, and if being healthy means having to add calories then think of them as your medicine. I hope this helps a little anyway!!

WOW!! I wish that I had found this forum 2 years ago when I was in your shoes!! Support for being too thin was absent from the forum that I was heavily into before. I finally had to leave because of it. I am now a normal weight after having to gain 25 pounds. I found myself at 95 pounds and looking like a skeleton. It was awful, I hated looking in the mirror because I looked so frightful. At Christmas 2 years ago I bought a size 0 pair of slacks that I had to hold up with a belt.

OK, enough about me..... Here is what I did; I started adding full fat dairy products. I started with whole milk and then cheese. (LOL, at this point I found out that I had become lactose intolerant and had to use Lactaid to accomplish this simple addition to my diet.) I also have Reactive Hypoglycemia so I have to watch the carbs and sugar in my diet so eating health is important for that reason too! Once I found those things helpful but boring, I made sugar free pudding with whole milk. It's a nice slider food that didn't make me feel full but added much needed calories without the bulk. I won't lie, it wasn't easy to do this. It took me over 18 months to gain 25 pounds but it was worth it!! I'm now in a size 4/6 and maintaining. If I fall below my magic number of 120, I add the same dairy products until I'm back to (or slightly above) that number.

I am now 5 1/2 year out from surgery and know that I am not normal (haha, in more ways than one) having to watch my diet so that I don't lose too much, but that's the way it is. You had this surgery to be healthy, and if being healthy means having to add calories then think of them as your medicine. I hope this helps a little anyway!!
I

I realize this your post is over 2 years old but is was so good to find that others have had the same problem as me, although I hate calling it a problem. I had RNY w/ Duodenal Switch in Sept, 2010. I stay about 15-20 lbs underweight. Thankfully the past 2 years it has been a very gradual loss. I try to eat healthy but also include full fat dairy, whole milk always and I do eat a little 'bad' things. I've been able to keep my pouch small so it doesn't take much to fill me up. I also rarely feel hunger and have to remind myself to eat some days.
With that being said, I am fairly healthy and wouldn't trade this for anything!

Back