• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Support from family..what helped you the most ?

Alioop

I am going to gather my adult children (late 20's ) together to share with them my plans for surgery. I expect them to ask many question and express various levels of concern. But, once that is over, I want tell them how important family support will be to me as I go through the process. I want to tell them, all the things they can say..and all the things they can do ...to be of support. So, my question to the group is-- what have you found to be the most significant ways that your family has reached out to you during your pre -and - post surgery experience. ? What words and actions did you value the most.?

My husband has been really supportive. He was a little leery of the surgery when I first started talking about having it done but once I had seen the surgeon and told him everything the doctor said and all the information he gave me, he was ok with it. We used to go out for lunch every Sat. while we were out running errands but once I started the liquid diet and since surgery, we eat at home. He has actually been doing the protein shakes with me and dieting. He eats what I eat. I have offered to make him whatever sounds good to him but he doesn't want to eat something I can't have at the moment. That means the world to me. He either eats what I can have or he fixes himself something I don't really like. I haven't been around any other family since surgery.
Where in St. Louis do you live, if you don't mind telling me? If you want to keep it private, my e-mail is dghom60@gmail.com.

I am going to gather my adult children (late 20's ) together to share with them my plans for surgery. I expect them to ask many question and express various levels of concern. But, once that is over, I want tell them how important family support will be to me as I go through the process. I want to tell them, all the things they can say..and all the things they can do ...to be of support. So, my question to the group is-- what have you found to be the most significant ways that your family has reached out to you during your pre -and - post surgery experience. ? What words and actions did you value the most.?
Wonderful idea to get everyone prepared for your surgery. My husband has been my biggest support system. He cheers me on when I have accomplishments (weight decreases and clothing size decreases) and scolds me when I need it (drink or eat anything I'm not supposed to). The entire family has changed their diet to meet my needs. One exception, on Saturdays we get carry out. I get something I can eat and husband and daughter get whatever they are hungry for. Gives them something to look forward to all week. My parents were not so happy that I was having the surgery. They refused to talk about it hoping that I would change my mind. Eventually they did come around and asked a million questions. Since surgery they have been great cheerleaders. I hope your family is very accepting.

Back