• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Supportive community

I know that my aunt had the surgery and she looks really nice with all the extra fluff and buff off her body. I was always afraid that, even though it’s not really body shaming, but it was body shaming when peoples magazine made fun of Oprah and they have put her head on somebody else’s body back in the 90s I think it was but that’s neither here or there and then I had my cousin had it and she looks like how Oprah looked back on that peoples magazine back in the day now my son and I we are going to be doing this together, so if he has his before me, I’m gonna have to take my FMLA and go take care of him for two weeks and then when I have mine, I’ll have the support of the family that lives with me to help me along the way, but I did not know I had so much to say because I was a really feeling this group thing but it’s like it makes me happy to just share and be knowing that there’s other people that feel sort of the same way. I do the biggest thing I thought was that I was always gonna just postpone it that didn’t want to scar and didn’t want the hospital. I didn’t want this I didn’t want that but when I made the appointment in the surgeon was like do ABCDEFG and I was able to do it minus the letter, and one more nutritional meeting with the nutritionist even though she does WHINE a little bit but she does talk real talk maybe I just wasn’t listening when I went to Kaiser but the hardest part of this journey is just making sure I get my water intake, and that I talk to my friends and family about whatever setbacks I may or may not have just doing this with my oldest son he’s 32 and he’s doing his thing he’s doing the process for them to give him the approval for when he can do the surgery. I’m just so happy.

You have a great support system in the works. Sometimes people encounter negative or clueless responses from people that don’t understand what you are going through. Take yourself by the bootstraps and know that we as a community will be here for you when you need us. In my experience my friends are my family and they are here for me. They sometimes don’t understand but they ask good questions to be there for me. I couldn’t ask for better.

Your family sounds like mine lol there are a bunch of us who've had weight loss surgery. It's wonderful to have that support system automatically in place and its so helpful to have people who know what exactly you're going through. Good luck to you and your son!

Back