• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery 12/22/23

Ah, I have something to look forward too. Meanwhile I am distracting myself with walking. I'm noticing that food consumed so much of my life. Shopping for things to cook with like the latest gadgets, then picking recipes, grocery shopping, preparing, eating , inviting friends to eat, restaurants. Now I have a water bottle and a protein bottle and time on my hands. I miss my friend Food. I'm a little sulky.

As Transmster noted, it is possible to come home weighing more than when you went in. This is usually the case with an open surgery, or any type of RYGB where they fill your abdomen with fluid to make the organs move around more easily, so the surgeon can be more accurate with the incisions.

This is one reason why it's such a good idea to drink drink drink water, until you feel like you're gonna puke it all up. Don't try to get a balanced diet, don't worry about the type of fluid you drink, be it water, juice or vegetable. Your body is going through a huge traumatic change and the more you mess with it, the harder it will be on you. Just relax, watch movies or read, get up occasionally and walk around the house inside, then rest some more.

Rest contributes to healing.

I set that one thought out by itself because it is SO true. When you have an injury, you have to rest it. Moving it will only aggravate the process. And as to what you drink, this is a VERY important question for your nutritional team. You should have a team. If you don't, then just call the hospital and bug them with questions and soon you'll be getting calls from them in order to stop you from calling. I'm not suggesting that you be obnoxious, but that you get the attention you need.

We are here to support you and congratulate you. But to anyone who's reading this, your first line of inquiry has to be a medical professional.

As for the phases and recipes and types of foods, do a search of this group using the search feature. If you're thinking you'd love to eat a pomegranate, just enter the word into the search box and see what others have said about that.

The vast majority of people who've made this decision to allow surgery to help them because nothing else has, have succeeded and changed their lives. There is usually a small weight gain after surgery, but just stay focused on your personal goal and don't worry about it. Try to forget what bad eating habits you had before. This is NOT an overnight fix, but for most people, it is a permanent fix, and that's like hitting the lottery.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Thank you. I'm hitting 64 oz of water, and once or twice a day I will drink organic, sipping bone broth from Costco. Once I had a healthy juice (kale, spinach, half an apple). For the most part, I've been drinking protein shakes and water. I had a laparoscopic sleeve surgery. My two-week follow-up is next week so I was waiting for that to let the doctor know that I haven't lost much weight. I have to wait for a pomegranate for a while. I'm still in the first two weeks where I can drink water, protein, bone broth, and sugar-free jello. My next phase is mostly liquid where I can puree some stuff. I plan to start with lentils as my nutrition packet suggests. I will follow the instructions and blend in the food processor.

I do rest a lot and my exercise is prescribed by my doctor at 20 minutes a day. I walk around the neighborhood slowly and sit if I want to rest but I think the outdoors does me good. Right now I'm reading Covenant of Water and I have a Sarah Maas book waiting in the wings, so I do read as often as I can. Thank you for the suggestion.

I'm hoping that once the trauma from the surgery wears off, then maybe I can see a better weight loss. This is a lot of trouble to go through for 7 lbs. However, if that's all I get then it's a start and I know for certain that my genetics are a larger factor in weight management than anything else like willpower or types of foods. You are right, we do this surgery because nothing else worked.

Wow. Super helpful. I am right on track. I had a very unrealistic view. Listening to folks I feel like all I heard was "I lost 50 pounds and most of it was in the first two weeks." Thank you for sharing a realistic view and a great website with recipes. I'm looking forward to eating again. This Saturday I get to start pureed food and I'm looking forward to making lentils. Thank you.

For sure the hunger comes at night, when I'm bored, or when I want to have fun. Any tips?
I understand you perfectly BellyB, At night is my worst, I am still on my 2 weeks vacation, boredom and the fact I cannot be with my family part taking drives me crazy. is only at night, I am still on liquid face, I cannot wait for a scramble eggs and some refried eggs on Thursday. A I write this reply my wife is making pasta for her and the boys and I am upstairs in my room to not see. My. mind is playing tricks on me.

I'm now in week 6 and thinking back to how I felt at week 2, I can tell you it gets better and it gets easier. One thing I learned is that it is very helpful to talk to your nutritionist. At week 2, I thought I could handle things on my own. By reading posts, I realized that most of the successful people spoke to their doctors and nutritionists often. That prompted me to call my nutritionist and I found out that I should not be hungry at all. We (my nutritionist and I) adjusted my vitamins, water intake, time that I was drinking protein and a few other tweaks, and suddenly my hunger was gone. Keep this support group close but keep your medical team closer.

Back