• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Complete now the journey begins

Loops

Hello all,

I had my surgery yesterday and it went well not a lot of pain thankfully. I got the duodenal switch (Sadi-S) so I have a sleeve and the bypassed some of my intestine to promote malabsorption. I only had one issue and in the hospital the nurse was late on my pain medication, which caused my blood pressure to spike and nausea onset. They scrambled to get my pain back under control. I’m now home currently trying to sip on my water. They want me to have 60g of protein a day and I’m having trouble getting have of a drink done. I know it will get easier but just very tired now. I did have something happen that brought tears to my eyes. One of the nurses I really connected with just randomly told me I was beautiful and if made me so emotional. My self esteem has taken a nose dive I felt overwhelmed by her kindness to me.

I can't believe that with such extensive surgery they didn't provide you a morphine pump! You should not have had to suffer like that.

But congratulation, Loops! You did such a hard thing, and now, in a few weeks, everything will feel normal and the weight will just melt off for a while.

I had a lot of trouble with getting water (I too had major surgery for my RYGB because it predated laparscopic procedures) and I think one of the nurses just told me to stay calm and not worry about it, but to keep water with me all the time and sip it from a teaspoon, like I was eating soup. That REALLY helped. I never got that horrible waterlogged feeling you can get if you try to force water down in sips and gulps from a glass.

I hope you'll allow your self esteem to grow now. You might have to fight against the negative scripts that developed over your time of struggle and obesity. That's why I always recommend the same book, THE ONLY DIET THERE IS, which is not a diet book. I believe you can find it online FREE as a PDF. if not, it's very inexpensive and worth its weight in gold.

Hello all,

I had my surgery yesterday and it went well not a lot of pain thankfully. I got the duodenal switch (Sadi-S) so I have a sleeve and the bypassed some of my intestine to promote malabsorption. I only had one issue and in the hospital the nurse was late on my pain medication, which caused my blood pressure to spike and nausea onset. They scrambled to get my pain back under control. I’m now home currently trying to sip on my water. They want me to have 60g of protein a day and I’m having trouble getting have of a drink done. I know it will get easier but just very tired now. I did have something happen that brought tears to my eyes. One of the nurses I really connected with just randomly told me I was beautiful and if made me so emotional. My self esteem has taken a nose dive I felt overwhelmed by her kindness to me.
So glad you did well! How are you feeling today? Hopefully the pain is much more controlled! How awesome to have a nurse you connected with- they are rare gems. I was very weepy last night (and I haven't had surgery yet!). It's just soooo much to process physically and emotionally. I feel for you. We're here for you girl! Look how far you've come and what a healthy future you'll have! Be proud of yourself- you deserve to!

So glad you did well! How are you feeling today? Hopefully the pain is much more controlled! How awesome to have a nurse you connected with- they are rare gems. I was very weepy last night (and I haven't had surgery yet!). It's just soooo much to process physically and emotionally. I feel for you. We're here for you girl! Look how far you've come and what a healthy future you'll have! Be proud of yourself- you deserve to!
Thank you so much for your kind words, I really appreciate it. I feel a lot better today I haven't had to take any pain medication and I'm moving about quite easily. Hoping for a smooth recovery but definitely over this liquid diet. I wish you well on your journey as well.

I can't believe that with such extensive surgery they didn't provide you a morphine pump! You should not have had to suffer like that.

But congratulation, Loops! You did such a hard thing, and now, in a few weeks, everything will feel normal and the weight will just melt off for a while.

I had a lot of trouble with getting water (I too had major surgery for my RYGB because it predated laparscopic procedures) and I think one of the nurses just told me to stay calm and not worry about it, but to keep water with me all the time and sip it from a teaspoon, like I was eating soup. That REALLY helped. I never got that horrible waterlogged feeling you can get if you try to force water down in sips and gulps from a glass.

I hope you'll allow your self esteem to grow now. You might have to fight against the negative scripts that developed over your time of struggle and obesity. That's why I always recommend the same book, THE ONLY DIET THERE IS, which is not a diet book. I believe you can find it online FREE as a PDF. if not, it's very inexpensive and worth its weight in gold.

View attachment 5545
Thank you for the kind note.

Back