• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

SURGERY DATE SOON

HEALTHYME

I don't believe I've said anything before. I've just been mainly reading and observing your tips.

My S day is October 12th.

I don't believe I've said anything before. I've just been mainly reading and observing your tips.

Congratulations. I'm five months post op it is the best decision I made for myself. I'm now only 14 to 24 more to lose to reach my goal weight. It hasn't been easy and challenges along the way, but worth it all. Reaping the health benefits of losing weight is worth it all. I never would have dreamed that I could be like a normal person. Now I can go and eat just small bites of different foods without overeating.

Reactions: Ida
Thank you for taking out the time to respond. Improving my health was the main reason I sought out bariatric surgery. I'm excited for a long healthy life.

You are almost there! Congrats. I remember that excitement. I am 10 months out from my Bypass. I’m 130# down with 62# to go. So glad I did this. Only wish I could have lost more, but I have some med side effects that slow that down for me. Good luck to you! :)

Well I'm certainly glad you are doing well. You may not be where you want to be as far as weight loss, but it's coming off. I think the biggest thing we gain from all this is the the lifestyle change and the health benefits. I'm glad you're well. Medicine can be tricky since some cost fluid buildup etc.

Well I'm certainly glad you are doing well. You may not be where you want to be as far as weight loss, but it's coming off. I think the biggest thing we gain from all this is the the lifestyle change and the health benefits. I'm glad you're well. Medicine can be tricky since some cost fluid buildup etc.
The lifestyle change is the big thing. I watch my family sit around eating ice cream and think about the fact that a year ago that would have been me demolishing a large Blizzard or a pint and not even thinking about it. Makes me sick now. Also, being active. Last week my husband and I went on a couple long walks. Last year there’s no way I would have done it. My back would have killed me. Now, I enjoy the time to spend with him and I actually have joined a gym and walk on the treadmill. There are so many things about my life now that I couldn’t have even imagined last year. I am so thankful I had insurance that covered for the surgery as my current insurance doesn’t.

This is my exact reason, to have a long healthy life. I've been fighting high blood pressure for well over 10 years along with a number of other health issues. Since February I've lost over 60 pounds through weight watchers and exercising as much as I can, but it isn't enough. Since I've begun this liquid diet I've learned even more about myself. I've realized how my socializing has really been just eating. While I'm enjoying a shake or some type of liquid I'm noticing a ton of things like you are now. I'm watching my family and friends consume ton of calories. All I can say is, that was me... Insurance can be tricky. I'm so glad you had the opportunity to complete the surgery before the change in insurance. I hope your current insurance will continue to care for you as for as your B12 shots and anything else you may need to continue to help you on your journey.

Congratulations on your weight loss so far. That is great! I was never successful with Weight Watchers and I tried it too many times to count. The only time I lost any weight was when I starved myself. I lost 120#, but when I went back to eating, I gained 100# back. I see how people can gain weight after surgery. It is sad how much our social lives revolve around food and that has been a big change for me. When we went on a group vacation to Hawaii in April, I didn’t eat a whole lot as the trip centered around food. It was easier for me to stay in the hotel room than to go to the meals with the group and be tempted by not so good for me foods. The sad thing was, I still didn’t lose any weight that week. Since then I’ve learned how to socialize better.

Ugh I totally agree. I'm not that far out of surgery, but I cringe when my family or friends want to go eat somewhere. I know this will get better as I recover, logically in my head, I know this. But at the moment, it is just terrible. I am still super restricted on so many things so I can usually only have water from the menu. I usually find a reason not go with friends, but it is harder with my own family. Which is kind of dumb, they know I've had surgery and can't eat much, yet they still want to go. *Sigh* I also don't really look forward to navigating the menus of restaurants in the future to figure out what is safe enough to eat.

Ugh I totally agree. I'm not that far out of surgery, but I cringe when my family or friends want to go eat somewhere. I know this will get better as I recover, logically in my head, I know this. But at the moment, it is just terrible. I am still super restricted on so many things so I can usually only have water from the menu. I usually find a reason not go with friends, but it is harder with my own family. Which is kind of dumb, they know I've had surgery and can't eat much, yet they still want to go. *Sigh* I also don't really look forward to navigating the menus of restaurants in the future to figure out what is safe enough to eat.

Good morning!

I'm still preop but I'm totally rooting for you. Things will get better. Just try to focus on your why.

Hope surgery went well. Welcome to your new life! :)
Thank you Christine!

Yes, I had my surgery on the 12th, so I'm now 2 days out and I'm still here in the hospital. I'm unable to keep any pills down or protein drink. My inability to keep things down is keeping my sugar really low. They are having to give me sugar with my fluid and dextrose via my iv. The pain is manageable.

Thank you Christine!

Yes, I had my surgery on the 12th, so I'm now 2 days out and I'm still here in the hospital. I'm unable to keep any pills down or protein drink. My inability to keep things down is keeping my sugar really low. They are having to give me sugar with my fluid and dextrose via my iv. The pain is manageable.
Sorry you are having trouble keeping things down. That’s not good. So glad the pain is manageable.

Sorry you are having trouble keeping things down. That’s not good. So glad the pain is manageable.
Good Morning!
I'm sorry it has taken so long for me to reply to you sweet ladies. I'm still recovering. I remained in the hospital about days after the procedure. I am able to hold down water now and a portion of my protein drinks. I have even had some yummy broth. My taste buds danced at a new taste. Since I'm able to take in as much protein in shake form right now, I have found other liquid sources, such as bone broth which gave me 10g of protein.

Thank you Christine!

I hope you get better, I understand not being able to tolerate protein, I am 3 months pre-op and just getting better. I cant do the protein powder, the Isopure or shakes, I am lactose, which created the problem for me, but I can do the Adkins and the Premeir protein drinks. I was in bad shape, I couldnt eat nothing for almost 2 1/2 months, all I could do was lay in bed, went to the hospital twice for dehydration lost 65 lbs in 30 days, a total of 101 lbs so far, (298 total weight before surgery) I am 20 lbs form the weight the doc want me. So now I am just working on keeping my muscles built now, so when times get rough, just hang in there it will get better.

I hope you get better, I understand not being able to tolerate protein, I am 3 months pre-op and just getting better. I cant do the protein powder, the Isopure or shakes, I am lactose, which created the problem for me, but I can do the Adkins and the Premeir protein drinks. I was in bad shape, I couldnt eat nothing for almost 2 1/2 months, all I could do was lay in bed, went to the hospital twice for dehydration lost 65 lbs in 30 days, a total of 101 lbs so far, (298 total weight before surgery) I am 20 lbs form the weight the doc want me. So now I am just working on keeping my muscles built now, so when times get rough, just hang in there it will get better.

Thank you for the encouraging words. It is hard! But! I won't give up. I am certainly learning that you have to advocate for yourself.

I kind of feel like I'm out in the cold with the surgery, but I'm happy to have you ladies and gents.

Back