• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery in 13 days

Wondering if your hungry after surgery?
The diet is really restrictive which I understand
Also I’m getting a hernia fixed at the same time, I read that the surgery for weight loss can cause hernias.
Anyone have this happen?

Hi Carla. How are you feeling? Any surgical procedure can cause a hernia that is not an expected result in bariatric surgery. I had my gallbladder removed in the same surgery as my roux-en-y in 2007. The worst thing I experienced post-op was excruciating nerve pain from the 7 in incision made between my navel and my sternum. That was an experience that was unique to me, but it was so painful that my first two weeks after surgery does not resemble anyone else's recovery story. But my long-term success has been awesome and there has never been one day where I haven't felt grateful that I qualified for this surgery and changed my life.

Hello Carla- I asked my doctor that question, too. The development of a hernia is rare and only indicated for one of the surgeries. (Of course I don't know which one.) I had the sleeve and the doc told me not to worry.
I also worked with a woman who had the joint bariatric/hernia operation. A year later, so far, she's doing great!

Back