• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery is almost here!

NanaG67

Hi everyone!! Well it's Saturday, and I'm getting things ready for the big day! I received a phone call from the hospital a little while ago. My surgery is set for 3 pm and I have to be there at 1pm. That is going to make a long day of nothing to eat or drink..I wish it could have been set earlier, but that is ok, I will manage.

Things have been better since I last checked in here, I stayed with my liquids, but tried more heartier creamy soups, and lots of water, sugar free popsicles, and sugar free drinks. My blood sugar has been ok and I spoke with someone at the surgeon's office and she told me not to worry.

Anyway, hunger isn't too bad and I can deal with most anything. Just wish that my back wasn't bothering me so much that I can't get some exercise in. But I take things one day at a time.

The wait is almost over. Hope all goes well. I know what you mean about having nothing to eat or drink until 3PM, but it is manageable and before you know it it will be over and you will be on your way. Joy

Thanks. Today is a blah day for me...I was out this morning, then came home and I guess I was so hungry I had too much soup at once, took a nerve pill, took a nap, then when I got up, I ended up throwing up my soup and my protein drink. I guess I'll know better...seems like my body is getting me prepared for Monday.

So happy your day has come - today and tonight you may be feeling like you're getting married, well, I did. Not sure why you can't exercise especially if that makes you feel better, etc. Can you go for a walk/s before then? It might be a way to burn off some of the nervous excitement or nervousness you might be feeling. I was on a special pre-op diet 2 wks prior to the surg to reduce the size of my liver; everyone in our program has to do this.

It was good because it prepared you for what I believe life will become in the near future, purged any remaining carbs and helped me stay under the 10 g of sugar & fat g requirements. I really don't miss the sugar & never thought that was possible. I'm not sure what I'm excited about eating at this point but know that a lot of foods I would have wanted no longer appeal to me once I find out the nutritional content.

Little sips, walk as soon as you're able; they had me up 3 hrs after 4 hr surg, thought I'd really want dinner but didn't & wasn't supposed to have 1st meal until lunch the following day but was doing well after surg so I got my pureed scrambled eggs, peach yogurt & applesauce. At this point I was still drinking water too quickly.

I can honestly say the worst part was wanting to get that catheter out because I constantly really felt I would go around it. They took it our early the next day, not that it hurt or anything but sweet relief being able to go without medical assistance.

Each time I went for a walk with my IV & pain pump I would advance to the next set of the 4 door clusters or 2 of them. Finally I could make the entire loop around half of the floor or the whole bariatric unit waving happily at others in their room greated by smiles & waves - felt like Rocky.

I believe you'll do fine. Be honest about pain levels, no sense in being a hero, let the meds do their work. If you have questions or concerns - ask, it's expected. Know you go with the positive vibes and prayers for the best of possible outcomes from all of us. We'll be chatting soon & you can tell us about your new experience.

Remember, today is the last day of your current life. After tomorrow you begin a new life; leave any emotions, regrets, etc. behind, it will help a lot to help you more forward.

All the best,

Thank you so much for the encouraging words. As far as exercising goes, I can walk, but if I walk too much I regret it later. I have a disc protrusion at the L5-S1 and if I walk too much the pain is bad in my lower back and down my legs cause it will pinch the nerve and cause pain.

I am taking this week off from school in order to have some recovery time without worrying about deadlines and such. I will make sure to keep everyone up to date as to my status when I get home.

Hi NannaG, You must be so excited, sorry to hear your surgery is so late in the day, I was so thankfull mine was early in the morning because I could not sleep at all the night before so I was fine at getting up at 3:30 in the morning to get to the hospital. try and sleep well tonight, my thoughts and prayers are with you. :cool: Tom

Tom, I plan on staying up later than normal tonight, as I still have homework to get finished. I have a final paper due on Monday, but since I will be in the hospital then, I will get it turned in today. I have 2 years left to work on my bachelor's degree in health and wellness. I want to be a nutritionist when I grow up...:rolleyes:

I figure if I go to bed late, I can sleep in, and we will probably leave around 11 or 11:30 as it takes about an hour to get to the hospital. And considering this is Dallas we are talking about, there is always something under construction, we we don't want to get delayed in traffic.

Thanks everyone for your well wishes. It's weird how I am not too hungry today, I have had 2 cups of broth and some water, but that is about it.

Good luck Nana, your forum family will be thinking about you and sending well wishes and prayers your way.

Thanks Pat. I was having all sorts of weird dreams last night. Feeling really shaky this morning, checked my blood sugar it was 97. I know that is good for early morning, but not sure how I will manage keeping it from dropping since my surgery isn't until 3pm and I have to be there at 1pm.

Hoping your surgery went well today and your recovery goes as planned. Stay connected when you can. Sending heals vibes your way.

Nana, Thinking about you today. You should be back in your room by now. Let us know how you are doing. Prayers for a fast recovery. Joy

Definitely thinking about you...hoping you're surgery went well, and praying that you have a fast recovery. Welcome to the losers bench, NanaG67.

Ditto from me NanaG67, you have been such a voice of support for so many, I know I was thinking of you yesterday and I am hoping all went well. As they say you now are in your new life! I know I can't wait until it is my turn!

Best wishes...ATTACH=CONFIG]228[/ATTACH]

Attachments

• 782.jpg
    782.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 125
Back