• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery Monday

almo726

Hello,
First time on. Having bypass surgery this Monday the 23rd. Any last minute advice for me? I am very excited but very nervous as well. I feel pretty prepared for the week after the surgery and even up to 2 weeks after surgery. I'm not worried about the surgery itself at all, just the huge change my life is about to go through.
Hilary

Hi, Hilary. Welcome to the group. A few tips for you.
Sip, sip, sip after surgery. It can seem impossible to get all your protein and water in. I was told an ounce every 15-20 minutes. I used a shot glass. An ounce isn't as daunting as a water bottle.
Get up and walk around. If you use that shot glass, your up every15-20 minutes grabbing water lol
Give yourself time to heal. Its major surgery. They are basically rerouting your digestive tract. You're not going to be able to eat, so you're going to feel run down, fatigued and cranky. You may feel like " what have I done?!?" Trust your decision and trust the process. It works. Its life changing .. In a GREAT way. It just may not feel like it until you're healed.
Good luck. Keep us posted and let us know if you have any other questions!

Hi, Hilary. Welcome to the group. A few tips for you.
Give yourself time to heal. Its major surgery. They are basically rerouting your digestive tract. You're not going to be able to eat, so you're going to feel run down, fatigued and cranky. You may feel like " what have I done?!?" Trust your decision and trust the process. It works. Its life changing!
As Missy says, give yourself time to heal. this surgery is major and affects every organ in your body, including your skin. So you feel everything, everywhere and it's best to rest as much as possible and NOT jump right into an exercise routine. Don't should on yourself. If you say that fast, you get the double meaning. Don't SHOULD on yourself. Everything in your body is affected by the surgery, even if you don't feel any particular pain or ache or nausea. Take time. You've changed your whole body, which means you've changed your whole life.

But it's not a drastic change for very long. I've read posts from people here who went back to work the same day; others within a few days. But a lot of people also just take a couple of weeks off to get used to their "NEW NORMAL." It's different and unique to each body.

I'd spend my post-op time looking online for new clothes and studying the FDA site for nutritional values in foods.

Also, I really recommend Magic Milk. Search the group for the recipe. I cooked my cereal and cream soups in it and used it as the base for my smoothies. It also makes great cream sauces to pour over your soft-steamed vegetables when you get to that stage. You get twice as much protein in each serving as you would drinking or cooking with regular milk.

Back