• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery next month

Cherrie64

Hello everyone. I am new to the group. I need to know what I can expect. Next month I am having gastric bypass surgery. Is there anything I need to be sure to take to the hospital for the stay. I greatly appreciate any information.

For me I wanted out of the hospital gown to get started walking. I also didn't know that walking in your room and going to the restroom counted as walking. YAY!
Thank you for the information. How long did you have to stay in the hospital? What type of weight loss surgery did you have?

I had the sleeve 8/26/19 yeah I'm just 2weeks in. I still don't excercise. I do walk a little. And it's hard work getting one of those protein shakes down. That you aren't hungry but once you are......the struggle is begins.

I am a week and a half post op. I had the sleeve. I was in the hospital two nights. I took a couple of changes of cloths and my tablet. I was set as I mostly slept. I read the dietician's instructions for post op diet and stocked up ahead of time so I'd have what I needed when I got home. I only wish I had gotten more of the clear protein drinks. They are the easiest for me to get down. That and broth.

I am a week and a half post op. I had the sleeve. I was in the hospital two nights. I took a couple of changes of cloths and my tablet. I was set as I mostly slept. I read the dietician's instructions for post op diet and stocked up ahead of time so I'd have what I needed when I got home. I only wish I had gotten more of the clear protein drinks. They are the easiest for me to get down. That and broth.
I'm afraid I won't be able to do the broth thing. I am not very crazy about broth. I was hoping I could have something like a protein shake. What about jello. Is this something you could have now. Also someone had told to take loose fitting dress to leave the hospital in. Is this what I should do

I'm afraid I won't be able to do the broth thing. I am not very crazy about broth. I was hoping I could have something like a protein shake. What about jello. Is this something you could have now. Also someone had told to take loose fitting dress to leave the hospital in. Is this what I should do
Hi Cherrie, I wore a loose dress and then had it to wear home as well since you're in a gown almost immediately. Packed a few pairs of undies, my toothbrrush, a hairbrush/comb, hair ties to pull it back, bathroom wipes to wash up with, CHAPSTICK (yes, you'll need), my tablet, phone & insurance card... I think that's about it. Good luck!!! :)

Yup see very good advice for sure. Yes loose clothes is a great option because you don't really want anything around your tummy. As for clear pre-surgery drinks Walgreens carries them. The one's at HEB have to much sugar. I need to take them back.

How soon after surgery did u start doing exercise. If you don't mind me asking how much have you lost to do and do feel better now
I have not done any exercise other than walking around the house(too hot outside). I also had hiatal hernia repair and that has me waiting to do other exercise for a bit longer.
I've lost 12 lbs but I did not lose any weight for the first two weeks. Not sure if it was fluid from the hospital or if my body was in shock.
I am feeling much better.

I took a loose dress to leave the hospital.

I have not done any exercise other than walking around the house(too hot outside). I also had hiatal hernia repair and that has me waiting to do other exercise for a bit longer.
I've lost 12 lbs but I did not lose any weight for the first two weeks. Not sure if it was fluid from the hospital or if my body was in shock.
I am feeling much better.
That's great news that you are feeling better

I just been walking around mall and grocery store. I don't have much energy for anymore. I told the nurse today at my appointment. She said to push myself as much as I could to get as much exercise as possible. Of course I wouldn't be doing any of this if I was still hurting. Well congratulations on your 12 lbs! Yes, your body went through a major shock.

Back