• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery on the 31st!

I feel like the time has flown by. When they called saying my insurance was approved I was so excited and then they called again a couple days later saying "Start you liver reduction diet- surgery is in 2 weeks!" AhHH!!! I'm trying to make sure I have everything on hand ready to go. My question now- should I get a recliner?? Or try to use extra pillows to sit up and sleep? I'm a stomach sleeper so I'm already anticipating a rough few weeks lol

Hi Tiffany, congratulations!

I had my RYGB many years ago and it was major surgery. I remember taking a lot of liquid tylenol with codeine and sleeping as much as possible, but also had to get up and make my own food. Mostly I ate cream of wheat and mushroom soup made with Magic Milk (search for the recipe here), which was fine. I also vomited a few times, which was horribly painful because I had a 7" vertical incision from my navel to my sternum.

These days it's nothing like that. Many people have shared here that they went back to work in a day or two. You should search the group for stories, but seriously, I find it hard to believe anyone has extreme pain with today's advanced surgical techniques. The liver-shrinking diet is something relatively new, but seems like a really good idea. The surgeon has all kinds of room to work, so I'd assume it was far less painful, or even very uncomfortable. But I hope others will respond and give your modern details, since I'm about 15 years out.

My guess is your discomfort will only last a couple of days. I do think it's a better idea to get up and walk as much as possible and not to seek accommodations to shift your position any more than you normally would. I don't think you'll experience a "rough few weeks." But again, search the group for true stories that are recent.

Most people will tell you this was the best experience they ever allowed themselves to have, and I think that's true. The difference in quality of life before and after surgery makes any discomfort seem trivial. You're right to be excited!

I didn't have to restrict my diet, but things happened so fast. I was at my internist's office one day, he suggested I lose 100 pounds, and while I was still sitting there, whipped out a form letter he sent to the feds to get Medicare approval (I was disabled so was on Medicare, even though I was in my 50s), printed a copy with my name plugged in, and scheduled the surgery for a week or so later, as he was about to take off for a month's vacation. I had surgery less than a week later.

I'm sure others will chime in to respond to you. But really, good move, you've made the right decision, so just try to enjoy what is to come!

I feel like the time has flown by. When they called saying my insurance was approved I was so excited and then they called again a couple days later saying "Start you liver reduction diet- surgery is in 2 weeks!" AhHH!!! I'm trying to make sure I have everything on hand ready to go. My question now- should I get a recliner?? Or try to use extra pillows to sit up and sleep? I'm a stomach sleeper so I'm already anticipating a rough few weeks lol
Congrats on your upcoming surgery. This might give you time to try practicing side sleeping lol. Please use this remaining time to try getting your 64ozs of daily water in by sipping all day long. Good luck. You'll do great, I'm sure.

Honestly, I always sleep in my recliner after surgery. So, if you've been thinking you'd like one, now's a good time. However, it isn't necessary for comfortable sleep. My husband slept in our bed after his surgery with no issues.

You can roll onto your side and use your arm to pull yourself upright so you don't strain your stomach muscles or you can sleep in an abdominal binder.

Congrats on your surgery and don't sweat. I was uncomfortable for about 2 weeks. People have different pain tolerance. I also obsessed over what could happen lol.
It will be fine. I did stay in the recliner for about 4 days after coming home but I wanted my bed. I saved pain meds to help me get into bed and find a comfortable position. I found sleeping in my right side holding a pillow worked for me.
What I had trouble with was protein supplements. I hated protein shakes I used to love and I still have some I can't stomach using lol.
Be patient with yourself, rest when you need to. Follow your drs orders. Follow up with your dietician as soon as yiu can for help with food.
I had my bypass on May 23rd, 2022, I am happy with my choice. I am 40lbs down, eating regular food but watching my portions and am thrilled with the clothing size drop. I am now in a size 16 pants, xl - 1x tops after being in size 22-24 pants and 3x snug tops

Good luck and stay in touch!

Honestly, I always sleep in my recliner after surgery. So, if you've been thinking you'd like one, now's a good time. However, it isn't necessary for comfortable sleep. My husband slept in our bed after his surgery with no issues.

You can roll onto your side and use your arm to pull yourself upright so you don't strain your stomach muscles or you can sleep in an abdominal binder.
Or you can do what I did when I was hugely pregnant. I had a pillow on each side of my body, lengthwise. When I rolled one way, my gigantic, soon to be born (3 weeks late), 22 1/2", 8 pound 9 ounce once-in-a-lifetime son, had something to rest on and took the pull off me. I'm sure I'm a big sissy, but I decided never to have another, and eventually had a hysterectomy (though that was related to dysmenorrhea ). It was the length of him, not the weight, that made everything so hard. They threatened open surgery to get him out if he didn't come out on his own. In fact, I was scheduled for an open procedure on Monday the 24th, but thank god he decided to come out on the 23rd, after almost a day of labor. I was so exhausted, I actually fell asleep during labor.

Not strictly weight-related, but I hope someone who needs help can benefit from that little story. My son is now about to turn 43. The binder, also, is a fabulous idea. I don't think I could have survived pregnancy and post-birth without one.

Back