• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery scheduled for 9/16/14

Knarf51

[/FONT
I am scheduled to have Gastric bypass surgery on sept.
16 2014. Started out at 272 5'10" have dropped
To 250 in last month. Wondering if surgery is necessary
Or should I just continue dieting. Also suffer from
Apnea and mild Diabetes. Any thoughts?

[/FONT
I am scheduled to have Gastric bypass surgery on sept.
16 2014. Started out at 272 5'10" have dropped
To 250 in last month. Wondering if surgery is necessary
Or should I just continue dieting. Also suffer from
Apnea and mild Diabetes. Any thoughts?

WELCOME to the Forum!!!

Gastric bypass surgery is known for toatally stopping diabetes symptoms and putting it in remission. Having a husband who died from type 2 diabetes complications, I know how devastating diabetes can be. Mild diabetes can progress to severe diabetes over time. Why not stop the sugar in the blood now before damage occurs in the body. My husband's cardiac doctor told me if he would have had gastric bypass surgery 10 yrs ago he would still be here with us today. Diabetes ruined his heart and his kidneys. He was overweight but not all that much, so at that time 10 yrs before he died (4 yrs ago,) it wasn't known that gastric bypass surgery could stop the diabetes in it's tracks.

I had the gastric bypass RNY surgery 14 months ago and I was surprised it wasn't very painful at all. It changed my life and my sleep apnea disappeared along with many other medical problems I had. I am off most all of my medicines except my viamins and minerals of course. I have heart failure but I just had tests done and my heart now has perfectly normal blood flow and it is beating normally and is stronger than it has been in years. My cardiologist was very excited that I had improved so much.

The choice of surgery is your to make but I can only say that gastric bypass surgery was the best decision of my life and I would do it over in a heartbeat!

Good luck!

Cheyenne :cool:

Back