• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery with Asthma

DRO

Hello everyone,
I’ve been considering weight loss surgery seriously for about 1.5 years. I checked into it but my insurance doesn’t cover it. I have two main questions, has anyone with Blue Cross Blue Shield insurance ever wrote an appeal letter. BCBS covers weight loss but not if it’s not on your policy. My insurance doesn’t have it on my policy. I do qualify from the doctors stand point. Can I try to appeal this with success? My next question is, has anyone with asthma had the surgery? I struggle to breathe 24/7 and I’m on daily meds. Is it safe to get the surgery with this?
Thank you for your help and good luck to everyone.

Yes, BCBS does cover the surgery if your doctor can deem it medically necessary. Yes, have your doctor appeal the decision for you by speaking to a BCBS representative personally. Mine did for me, it was appealed and I had the surgery, they covered it at 100%. Yes, the surgery is safe with asthma. You doc will account for this during the surgery they have new oxygen machines just for asthma patients that are used to make sure your breathing isn't hindered when they put you under. Good luck and I hope your approved! BTW - BCBS requires a 6 month review period with monthly dietician visits, your psych eval, a stress test and vein test to make sure your healthy enough to have the surgery. Just be prepared to hurry up and wait... :)

Yes, BCBS does cover the surgery if your doctor can deem it medically necessary. Yes, have your doctor appeal the decision for you by speaking to a BCBS representative personally. Mine did for me, it was appealed and I had the surgery, they covered it at 100%. Yes, the surgery is safe with asthma. You doc will account for this during the surgery they have new oxygen machines just for asthma patients that are used to make sure your breathing isn't hindered when they put you under. Good luck and I hope your approved! BTW - BCBS requires a 6 month review period with monthly dietician visits, your psych eval, a stress test and vein test to make sure your healthy enough to have the surgery. Just be prepared to hurry up and wait... :)
Thank you so much for all the helpful information!

Back