• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Surgery

I have my gastric sleeve surgery on Tuesday September 22nd. Any last minute advice???
Don't get frustrated if you think things aren't going the way you thought they would. Everyone experiences post-surgery a little bit differently.
  • You may still feel like you get as hungry as you use to some of the time
  • You may not lose weight as fast as you'd like
  • Be mentally prepared for your weight loss to stall for days or weeks or even months at some point. it's natural and part of the process. Don't let it get you down, continue to make good food and exercise choices no matter what.
  • Don't hesitate to reach out to your bariatric team for help or ask questions about anything.
  • Stay active on forums and groups like this to connect with people who are going through the process and living the post-surgery life.
  • Have faith in the new biology you will have after surgery. You will make progress!
  • Take advantage of that first year after surgery to really establish good habits with food and exercise with the goal of making them life-long changes.
Best of luck! Congratulations on taking this big step!

Last edited:
^^^What he said LOL Congrats on your upcoming surgery. It really is life changing. You will be amazed at how much better you will feel and how much more energy you will have in a few short weeks. The most important things for me in the first few weeks were ISOPURE Zero Carb, which has 40 grams of (clear) protein in 20 ounces. I would have never gotten my protein in during the 2 week clear liquid diet without it. I actually used it throughout the entire liquid diet portion. And make sure you walk, walk, walk. At the hospital and at home. Best of luck to you. Keep us updated.

Congratulations on your upcoming surgery! the only advice I would give you is make sure you're mentally at peace. prepare yourself for your surgery make sure you speak to your anesthesiologist about post-op nausea if they are able to give you a patch that goes behind your ear and it will be a godsend for you speak to your anesthesiologist about being gentle when putting the tube down your throat so you're not having to deal with throat irritation also about positioning of your body so you won't have to deal with shoulder pain and have your affirmations ready so that you can be at peace before you get wheeled into your surgery.

Well it has been over a week since my surgery. Wow. I have been real sick since. I am now drinking a little and taking small bites of a cracker. That is all I can do for now. I pray it gets better soon.
I'm sorry to hear it Susan. Are you home? I remember my team telling me that for the first 2 weeks, my only job was to sip, sip, sip water all day. Please try to stay hydrated. Ice chips helped a lot too. I hope you feel better soon!

Well it has been over a week since my surgery. Wow. I have been real sick since. I am now drinking a little and taking small bites of a cracker. That is all I can do for now. I pray it gets better soon.

Susan, when you say you have been sick, what do you mean? Are you just feeling bad and laying down or are you nauseated or are you actually vomiting? Your surgeon should have given you a list of expected side effects following surgery and whatever medications might be helpful if you do experience symptoms that are painful or frightening.

Nobody has the same experience as somebody else exactly, but there are enough things we all have in common that we might be able to offer you some ideas to help ease your discomfort.

But aside from that, you should be telling everything to your surgeon, every single little feeling you have, every little episode you have. Your surgeon has heard everything from patients over the years and most likely has the perfect solution for you.

But if you have been vomiting all the time, you especially need to tell your surgeon so you can get anti-nausea meds. You can't vomit and be certain you won't damage your new pouch.

We can offer you all the support you need but we cannot analyze what is happening to you medically. You really need to ask your surgeon to lay hands on you.

Back