• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

SV and NSV Week 36

WazzuCoug

I'm sharing a few things, not so much to get "congrats" but for people who are pre-surgery or early post-op wondering about how things might change with regards to their health. I think a lot of us think that good things will happen, but sometimes doubt creeps in, or sometimes it is just difficult to imagine things being different after years of being overweight. While our bodies all react a bit differently, there are some great things that can happen with time and patience in this process.

I hit the 36 week mark this past week, and I did have a scale victory. I hit the 100 pounds lost mark. It is interesting how we assign labels to certain numbers sometimes. I've been hovering between 95-99 pounds lost for a couple weeks or so, and my body fat is in the average range (not overweight or obese), so there isn't a really good reason why hitting 100 should be a thing, but when I saw the number on the scale and knew it was 100 lbs, it really made me smile. I don't think I'm quite at my nadir weight yet, but I don't think I'm too far off. Some people lose faster, some slower, and some have more to lose or less, but we can all get to where we need to go, if we put our minds to it. I'm continuing to focus on making what I'm doing now with food exactly what I'll be doing this time next year, and the year after, etc. This battle is won or lost in the kitchen.

I didn't have a 6 month check up with my bariatric team. I decided that I was going to wait until I was post-second vaccine before going into an active medical facility again. So, my next appointment is a bit later in April, so it will be a 9 month check up. In the meantime, we ran through all of the blood tests.

My NSV is that for the first time I can remember in my post-college life, my HDL was actually in the normal range and not below. It was the first time that I can remember all of my lipid measurements were optimal. My triglycerides and LDL have never been high (high normal/optimal), but they have gotten even better, especially the triglycerides.

All of my blood chemistry was completely normal. A year ago my A1C was 8.4 on medication, it was 5.1 last October and it was 5.0 this last measurement. If the measurement at the 12 month mark is at or near that same range, I'll officially be in diabetes remission; I'm fairly confident that will be the case.

The only things that were high were my Vitamins D and B-12, it look like I don't need to supplement nearly as much and could get by with supplementing once or twice a week, and my ferritin/iron was a tiny bit above normal, but my iron saturation and hematocrit were normal, so there isn't a concern there.

My AST and ALT enzymes used to be off the charts due to fatty liver, they are completely normal now. In fact, with the innocuous exceptions above they were all normal, if not down right optimal! I can't tell you how much it means to me to see those numbers. Although most of my numbers were in the normal range at the 3 month mark, things are even better now at 8 months.

It is these things that motivate me to keep doing what I'm doing. The surgery gave me a great opportunity to make these changes, but I still have to make the right choices along the way to maintain this level of health. I look back at my previous blood tests and see how far I've come and how dangerous things had gotten as a reminder that things were getting dire with manifesting diseases. We can't forget where we came from in this process lest we slack off and slide back into old habits.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying strong in this process!

I was told by my team that they expect to see the vit b high due to the quick dissolve and to not change. My vit d is always low but thats MN
I think you are right about the effect of the quick dissolve, but I don't take it every day right now and it was still a ways above the high normal limit, so they said I could cut back. I eat quite a few foods that are supplemented with B-12, so I expect that has something to do with it. We'll see what it's like at my 12 month mark with me cutting back. I'm not too concerned about it. There aren't quite the same malabsorption issues with a sleeve as an RNY or DS.

That's great stuff Ryan, congratulations! Losing 100 lbs should make you smile, for sure! It is something to really be proud of. And all the other accomplishments on your lab results are priceless. That's the home run! :)

That's awesome! I had a pretty cool NSV myself last week. When I was in college at Syracuse University, I was in the marching band as well as the pep band for basketball. I kept my "uniform" for the the pep band (a blue and orange rugby shirt with Sour Sitrus Society stitched on it) not because I ever thought it would fit again, but because I had it autographed by TV announcer Dick Vitale. Fast forward 30 years, and I just happen to work with another person who was in the band with me (we didn't know each other then; we found out only recently that our paths crossed in the early 90's), so we decided to honor our Alma Mater's appearance in this year's Sweet 16 by wearing our shirts to work. So I wore a shirt I got when I was 18 years old and it fit perfectly! Unfortunately they lost, so hopefully by the time next year's tournament rolls around it will be a lot looser :)

That's awesome! I had a pretty cool NSV myself last week. When I was in college at Syracuse University, I was in the marching band as well as the pep band for basketball. I kept my "uniform" for the the pep band (a blue and orange rugby shirt with Sour Sitrus Society stitched on it) not because I ever thought it would fit again, but because I had it autographed by TV announcer Dick Vitale. Fast forward 30 years, and I just happen to work with another person who was in the band with me (we didn't know each other then; we found out only recently that our paths crossed in the early 90's), so we decided to honor our Alma Mater's appearance in this year's Sweet 16 by wearing our shirts to work. So I wore a shirt I got when I was 18 years old and it fit perfectly! Unfortunately they lost, so hopefully by the time next year's tournament rolls around it will be a lot looser :)
That's awesome!

Back