• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Switching Bariatric Facilities

K-Lo

I have been really unhappy with the facility where I have been going and experienced a last straw yesterday. The administrative staff and coordinators are so rude and cold and have totally made me run in circles only to waste my time due to poor communication. I haven’t even met the surgeon yet. I am almost 2 months into the process and have completed my blood work, nutritional counseling, and ultrasound. So I want to switch to another facility. They seem to be more supportive but also have more strict requirements (I will be given a weight goal to work toward) and may have to do a couple of things again. I’m afraid this will delay my process but I feel like I will be much more supportive at the new place. Has anyone else switched providers mid-process? Any wisdom to share?

I didn't have to switch, but when I applied for surgery, I sent my information to a few places, and how their staff responded to me made a big difference in where I chose to get the surgery done. I think the support you get from your bariatric team is very important for success. Not everyone needs that level of support, but I have been very grateful for my team, especially when I read about the poor care some people have received, especially if things aren't going well. I believe the stricter requirements and a supportive staff will set you up much better for success after surgery.

I didn’t have to switch, and I felt my facility was very supportive from the beginning. But, I did have to wait 4 months before meeting the surgeon. It’s their policy to go through the dietitian and counselor for their approval before the first surgeon meeting. Their office just wants to make sure the candidates are mentally prepared and committed before seeing the surgeon.

I wouldn't switch. You've come this far. Speak up. If someone seems rude or dismissive to you, SPEAK UP. Our biggest problem is stuffing our feelings with resentment and food. Stand your ground, take a deep breath, make eye contact and say, "Excuse me? I'm not sure I heard you. Could you repeat that?"

Remember that everyone has something going on in his/her life. Rise above it. There are so many ways to take the high road. It takes two to tango.

When you refuse to take something personally, you win. Just make sure all the tests and details are in order. You don't need to be the victim. You are the only one in control of your life. Don't give anyone else a piece of that.

If all else fails, just make eye contact and say nothing. Stand there. Nature abhors a vacuum. Give that person an opportunity to fill that space with a second thought.

You don't know that someone isn't going through something even worse than you.

In any event, don't sweat it. Keep your eye on the prize.

And if you really want a win-win, just reach out. Ask, "Hey, how are YOU doing today?" Imagine how many unhappy people line up to complain or cry or just display their failures to a receptionist, doctor or nurse in an 8-hour shift.

Taking the high road negates any stupid, thoughtless comment said in haste. And if you're not getting required treatment, get the supervisor or tell the doctor.

I've done this. It works.

I didn't have to switch, but when I applied for surgery, I sent my information to a few places, and how their staff responded to me made a big difference in where I chose to get the surgery done. I think the support you get from your bariatric team is very important for success. Not everyone needs that level of support, but I have been very grateful for my team, especially when I read about the poor care some people have received, especially if things aren't going well. I believe the stricter requirements and a supportive staff will set you up much better for success after surgery.
Yes I think so to.

I wouldn't switch. You've come this far. Speak up. If someone seems rude or dismissive to you, SPEAK UP. Our biggest problem is stuffing our feelings with resentment and food. Stand your ground, take a deep breath, make eye contact and say, "Excuse me? I'm not sure I heard you. Could you repeat that?"

Remember that everyone has something going on in his/her life. Rise above it. There are so many ways to take the high road. It takes two to tango.

When you refuse to take something personally, you win. Just make sure all the tests and details are in order. You don't need to be the victim. You are the only one in control of your life. Don't give anyone else a piece of that.

If all else fails, just make eye contact and say nothing. Stand there. Nature abhors a vacuum. Give that person an opportunity to fill that space with a second thought.

You don't know that someone isn't going through something even worse than you.

In any event, don't sweat it. Keep your eye on the prize.

And if you really want a win-win, just reach out. Ask, "Hey, how are YOU doing today?" Imagine how many unhappy people line up to complain or cry or just display their failures to a receptionist, doctor or nurse in an 8-hour shift.

Taking the high road negates any stupid, thoughtless comment said in haste. And if you're not getting required treatment, get the supervisor or tell the doctor.

I've done this. It works.
Deciding to switch or "You don't need to be the victim. You are the only one in control of your life." are both choices where you are proactive. I can soooo relate to keeping quiet and then overeating later from feeling the victim. Sometimes our own mood colors how we interpret a situation. I was not impressed with my visit with the surgeon or his staff but I have to remember that just being there was very emotional for me. Good luck Caterina

Back