• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

television and exercise

Let's see a show of hands from every person who ever bought some kind of exercise machine because she was convinced that she could exercise while watching TV. And put up your hands again if your exercise machine has been Gathering dust and you haven't used it more than a couple times while you are in front of a television.

I am sitting here right now wasting time on my computer and reading Instagram posts and looking at pretty pictures and in a few minutes I'm going to turn my television on and start watching some inane show. Meanwhile my hand weights just sit on the floor next to my chair.

I don't make New Year's resolutions because I think every day should contain a resolution, a promise met. But I'm going to make one right now because life has been so shity lately. I am going to stand up all the time and if I am not standing my new rule is that I have to be exercising, even if I'm sitting in my comfy chair.

Let's see a show of hands from every person who ever bought some kind of exercise machine because she was convinced that she could exercise while watching TV. And put up your hands again if your exercise machine has been Gathering dust and you haven't used it more than a couple times while you are in front of a television.

I am sitting here right now wasting time on my computer and reading Instagram posts and looking at pretty pictures and in a few minutes I'm going to turn my television on and start watching some inane show. Meanwhile my hand weights just sit on the floor next to my chair.

I don't make New Year's resolutions because I think every day should contain a resolution, a promise met. But I'm going to make one right now because life has been so shity lately. I am going to stand up all the time and if I am not standing my new rule is that I have to be exercising, even if I'm sitting in my comfy chair.
That's quite a commitment but if anyone can do it, you can!!! :)

I am with you on resolutions. You don't need the first day of the year to come around in order for you to make a change. I started this last year, the day after Christmas and that was when I set my mind to making a change. I didn't wait for Jan 1 to roll around. I did it that day. At that point, my treadmill (which had been gathering dust for years!) became my new best friend. In my mind it went from being like a toy hidden in the attic because no one wants to play with it anymore to something more like a puppy that just found its forever home and can't stop wagging its tail at all the love it is receiving. :D

I do watch too much TV and that is something that is slowly changing. Ten years ago, before my second and third back surgery, I was on bed rest for 15 months. During that time I started watching every TV show I could find because I was bored and wanted as many stories as I could get my hands on to remove me from my life. By the time I finished with my back surgeries and was out of bed, I was watching 62 TV shows. That is 62 currently-on-the-air tv shows. At that point I got back to having a life but not fully. I have a compulsion to finish things I start. And that goes for tv shows. But a couple of years later, I just couldn't keep up with it anymore. I gave up cable and that wiped out my shows. I started using Netflix and Hulu to keep up on only the three shows that were my favorite. But as with most things, time passed and now I am back at it. I have 29 tv shows that I am currently watching. INSANE!!!! But, now I do run on the treadmill while watching them. I do lunges, squats, crunches, planks, pushups, leg lifts, and other random exercises while watching them. But that will be another thing that changes. I have already decided that when the shows end this season, I will pick my five favorite (that gives me one per weekday to enjoy) and the rest have got to go. I will binge them on Netflix or Hulu in the future but I will be taking back my life and filling my weekends not with TV but with experiences. For peace of mind I am waiting til May, but also because it is so grey, cold, and gloomy in Indiana this time of year that having experiences just isn't as enjoyable as they will be in a couple of months.

wow! That’s a lot of TV! I have watched more TV in the last year and a half than I probably have in the last 10 years. I always read. My mom (I’m her FT caregiver since my dad passed) has the tv on from moment she gets up till she goes to bed.
I have been having trouble with severe back pain, so I’m not back to exercising much yet. My wls surgeon says “walk, walk, walk!” He doesn’t understand that the condition I have (CRPS) makes walking difficult and very painful. Before surgery I did weights and floor exercises. I think the important thing is that we move the best way we can, as much as we can.

Back