• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

Terrified of Manometry test

I have my GI tests in about 3 weeks. I have a very strong gag reflex and am terrified to have the manometry tube down my throat for 24 hours. Can anyone tell me about their experience? Good or bad I would like to hear.

Why do you have to have this test? I don't know anyone who has had this test. Based on its performance, it would indicate that you have some problem with swallowing food or some other food motility difficulty.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Overview
Esophageal manometry (muh-NOM-uh-tree) is a test that shows whether your esophagus is working properly. The esophagus is a long, muscular tube that connects your throat to your stomach.

When you swallow, your esophagus contracts and pushes food into your stomach. Esophageal manometry measures the contractions. The test also measures the force and coordination of esophageal muscles as they move food to your stomach.

I had this test, twice!

Except I didn't have the tube for 24 hours. I was in a very comfortable recliner chair and treated like a queen. The tube was not inserted through my mouth but through my nose so my gag reflex never came into play. Because of my esophageal spasms they needed to see the profile of my esophagus as I swallowed. I have a couple of really pretty graphs and color charts showing the contractions and recovery times. It really was not big deal. I scared myself into a tizzy beforehand because I didn't really know what was happening. The second time was a piece of cake cause I was all relaxed.

They also injected my esophagus with botox and attached a tiny device that measured acid in my esophagus. At some point it came undone and went on it's merry way out of my system.

Good luck with your test. Relax. It is most certainly better than a root canal! :p:p:p

I have my GI tests in about 3 weeks. I have a very strong gag reflex and am terrified to have the manometry tube down my throat for 24 hours. Can anyone tell me about their experience? Good or bad I would like to hear.
I also had this test, and I’m sorry to say it was awful. But mine wasn’t 24 hours, it was over in about 30 minutes. I had it because of gastroparesis, before a hiatal hernia surgery, not before the RNY. Everyone is different though, and I hope it isn’t too bad for you. Good luck!

It's sometimes difficult to tell all. You don't want to prejudice anyone else. But thank you for sharing and for validating another member's feelings. I'm going to make a confession here too.

Although most people have the sleeve, I had an open RYGB procedure. Before they could open me up they gave me a shot of Heparin in my stomach. I do not want to tell you how bad that was. I wish that I had blocked it out of my memory like I have managed to do with other details until someone reminds me. It's important because clots will kill you but it is not for the faint of heart. By the way, it's really nice to see you again Julie. It's been a while.

Back