• American Bariatrics is a free online Bariatric Support Group. Register for your free account and get access to all of our great features!

The battle at the 1 year mark.

Cassie111

Hi, my name is Cassie and I joined this group in Jan. 2016. June 8th will be my 1 year anniversary. I had the gastric sleeve with a starting weight of 287, and I am now at 175. Aside from the common problems that we all (or most of us shared) during the 1st few months, life was really good. The weight was pouring off and I'll be honest, I did it without drinking my proper amount of water and without exercise. December came and I decided to help myself get to my goal weight of 160 lbs. I started walking the mall 3 days a week for an hour. In January, I went up to 5 days a week and this is why......Since January 30th, I have only lost another 12 lbs. Ironic I think, after me increasing my walking. Now, I know what most people will tell me, and I understand what you are saying. People hit the "wall", and there is a time when there is no more rapid weight loss and just being able to maintain their weight. But I believe that almost 3 months of a stall is longer than what most people go through. I am so depressed about it (as well as the impossible chance of me being able to get rid of what my belly and upper arms look like) The depression keeps me from being more excited about the weight loss itself. You go through all the ups and downs of the journey only to be stopped before reaching your goal and the sight of myself in the mirror brings me no joy. Yes, I see the weight loss. But what nature has left behind takes me back to the old days of avoiding mirrors and some self loathing. The loads of money I have spent on creams and potions that haven't helped. Maybe because I chose things that no one had recommended me to try. I've gone through life NEVER having completely getting to a goal and I thought this time would be the exception. The ONLY change I've made in eating is snacking on late night pretzels while watching TV. I can't believe that would cause this stall. No fast food, nothing fried, no ice cream or even a special treat now and then. Due to the virtual stoppage of weight loss and the sagging and wrinkled body of an 80 year old, I almost feel like I've failed. The story isn't finished, but there's no last page to read. Sorry if I rambled, but I have to see if someone says something that will help me feel not so lost. An early thank you to anyone that does. Sincerely, Cassie tomswifeforever@gmail.com

Back